Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Did the Honda dealer pull a fast one?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 10:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did the Honda dealer pull a fast one?

Ok, i just took my 97 ex into get the free 75,000-150000 extended warranty service. This includes: free oil and filter change, plugs, wires, distributor cap rotor etc... So I get home and first off my window was down when i left the dealership (they gave it to me down) and i get all the way home to find that its now not rolling up. First i hear the window motor all fuxored and then the relay switch isn't working at all. ****! So i'm thinking they screwed with my window because i for damn sure know it worked fine when i brought it in.

So after this i decide to look under the hood to see if they actually replaced the things they said they did for the "free" said service. Now, I have a very n00b question... to change the spark plugs do you have to disconnect the battery terminals?? IS this absolutely necessary? Because if they changed the plugs then i would expect the battery terminals to be clean and the threads on the bolts to be dust free... however, threads on the bolts were just as dirty as when i brought the car in and no finger prints or anything around the terminals. So if you have to disconnect the battery terminals to do plugs/wires/cap and rotor then I would have noticed some disturbance around the battery stuff... but none. However, it looks like for sure that they changed the distributor... looks brand new, unless they just cleaned my old one. So i'm looking at my wires and they look dusty as hell, but wiped and clean in some spots with a date of 2004 on them. Would new spark plug wires have a date of 2004 or even have a date at all on them? When tomorrow rolls around i'm going to pull the wires out to see if there are new plugs in there. I think i've only started the car like 4 or 5 times since i left the dealership, will the plugs still look new? Can I see that they are new without taking them all the way out? Sorry for all the retarded noob questions, but i can't wait to learn, i'm gonna start doing services myself, i just don't trust shops anymore, or dealerships for that matter.

I should have asked for all the old parts, that was a stupid mistake on my part. So what do you guys think?
Old 07-10-2006, 10:36 PM

Default Re: Did the Honda dealer pull a fast one? (n00bcivicowner)

You dont disconnect the battery.. New wires should be obvious

I dont think they'd try and pull a quick on on you..

Is it your passenger or driver side window?
Old 07-10-2006, 10:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Did the Honda dealer pull a fast one? (Ls_V_TurboSi)

its my driver side window that is messed
Old 07-10-2006, 11:04 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

these kits were mass shipped years ago and have been sitting for a long time. Your wires won't look as new as your freshly amoralled dashboard. It was free work and the tech got paid by Honda for it. He is not going to mess up your car with the slim hopes that either you come back to have it fixed, or get him fired for doing so. Don't question somebody else when you obviously don't know the first thing about wrenching
Old 07-10-2006, 11:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Did the Honda dealer pull a fast one? (Evs-One)

Ha Ha, please don't tell me they used parts that have been sitting there for almost 3 years, that would be rediculous, and wouldn't they be in a box anyway and not collecting dust out in the open??

I have every right to question somebody's work, especially when it's on MY possesions. It is true I don't know much about wrenching, but i'm beginning to learn and everything that is done to my car is going to be done by me from here on out. You don't have to be a **** about it Evs-one, I just asked simple questions and you come back with some snot nosed remark. You should pull that "wrench" out of your ***.
Old 07-10-2006, 11:33 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by n00bcivicowner &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> You should pull that "wrench" out of your ***.</TD></TR></TABLE>

haha. ya i doubt a dealership would do something that shady but you have a right to ask. i would go back about that window and bitch though.
Old 07-10-2006, 11:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Did the Honda dealer pull a fast one? (recognize408)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by recognize408 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> i would go back about that window and bitch though.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I've been thinking about that... but really, a window could break at any time, it just so happend to break at the dealer, i'm not sure it's really their fault. I mean, I used to work at mercedes and I got into this S-class and rolled down every window cause it was 120 degrees and one of the back windows broke on me. I didn't do it purposely, it just happened to happen at the dealership. However, I do think it was bad business on their part to not even mention the window to me and just let me find out for myself when i got home. I'm on the fence whether to take it back to them for the window.
Old 07-10-2006, 11:44 PM

man just cuz its dealership doesnt make it better than any other shops out there in terms of work morals/ethics... the only good thing about honda dealerships are the parts and they specialize in honda.. other than that 90% of mechanics are shady people.. back when they had free inspection there were so many cars some techs even forgot to put lug nuts on a customers car they drove off and the wheel fell off.

first thing i woulda did was call and bitch about the window
Old 07-10-2006, 11:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (prison_snitch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by prison_snitch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
first thing i woulda did was call and bitch about the window</TD></TR></TABLE>

I really wanted to, but I picked up the car when they were closing and they prolly wouldn't have been there to answer the phone so now it looks bad that i waited till the next day. baaah
Old 07-11-2006, 03:36 AM
Banned

Default Re: (n00bcivicowner)

Modified by CardDealer at 9:36 AM 11/16/2006
Old 07-11-2006, 03:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you don't need to disconnect the battery when working on that stuff. as for the parts, they should look new, no matter how long they've been made or packed. i order parts from the dealership quite often and every part w/ the exception of a fender liner has been wrapped sealed in a bag then put into a box, absolutely dust free. don't know about spark plug wires though.

and just because it's the dealership doesn't mean they don't do shady work. majority of the time those extended warranties are rip offs. they sell it to you then when it's time to do the they want to do a half *** job. and sorry to the techs that do a good, honest job, it's just i've had bad experience and thats why i do all my work myself.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Did the Honda dealer pull a fast one? (philosofy1)

I work at a dealer, I am familiar with the service you had done. Techs do the service as quick as they can to make time. It sounds like your got the service
done and the window sounds like conicidence.

Good luck and let me know if I can help.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Did the Honda dealer pull a fast one? (bonylad)

Update: Called the dealership this morning, and they will not fix the window. I completely understand. My door is currently pulled apart and i'm currently trying to fix the window myself.
Old 07-11-2006, 01:54 PM
Banned

Modified by CardDealer at 9:35 AM 11/16/2006
Old 07-11-2006, 02:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Did the Honda dealer pull a fast one? (schlit)

they did it for free...i wouldn't complain about anything but the window.

Modified by DeadEnd9009 at 6:50 PM 7/11/2006