Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Did the D16Z6 came with two different intake manifolds/connecting pipe?

Old 05-18-2008, 01:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did the D16Z6 came with two different intake manifolds/connecting pipe?

Ok guys today while doing some work on my engine and after checking my other engines, I notice that two of my four d16z6 came with different manifolds and also different connecting pipe. Could this be possible, has anyone have this same issue?
Please take a look at the pictures so you know what Im talking about, some of the pictures I took from my manual so they didn't came out so great.

Ok I was filling my radiator today, and notice that the the water was falling on the floor from behind the engine, after checking what was wrong I notice that I forgot to install a hose on the nipple of the connecting pipe. (the nipple closed to the timing belt)

This is the Connecting pipe that according to my OEM Honda Engine Manual, D16Z6 engine should have.

On the left hand side of the connecting pipe you will notice that it has a small black nipple, this is actually a solid piece, nothing comes thru it. Two of my engine have this same connecting pipe, but my other two have the connecting pipe similar to the one from a D15B7 that has the same nipple but it is much larger and a hose suppose to go there because water comes out of it. (My other two D16Z6 engine came with that connecting pipe, including the engine on my project car)

This is the right side of the connecting pipe, as you can see it also has a long black nipple ( show by finger) that a hose attaches there. All my engines have this one.

In this picture (not the best for ilustration) you can see under the intake manifold bolt, the long black nipple. This is where the water was coming out from since nothing is attact there.

This two pictures I took them from my OEM honda civic manual, they are kind of blury but you will see the two different connecting pipe and they way to connect them.

This one is showing the connecting pipe without the left black nipple.

This one shows the one WITH the black left nipple.
Old 05-18-2008, 01:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Now I will show you guys the difference on the intake manifold.
Pretty much everything is the same except the right hand side part where the water hoses attach. As you will see in the pictures two of the manifolds have an extra nipple.

This one is showing only two nipples (two of my manifold are like this one)

This one shows the manifold with three nipples insted of two (my other two manifold are like this one)

As some of you might know, Im not using neither one of this manifolds on my set up, Im using an Edelbrock Performer X intake manifold.
My problem is that the eldelbrock manifold can only be use with only two nipples which I have them already connected

So my question is what should I do?
I have install on my engine already the connecting pipe that has a left nipple, and I should have been using the manifold with the three nipples in order for everything to be connected correctly. What you guys think I should do, I really don't feel like taking the connecting pipe and replace it with the one WITHOUT the left nipple,

any suggestion guys, I know this probably very confusing but they have to be some of you guys with the same problem, just check your set up and you will see.
Two of my engines, the one that was original from a 93 SI now on my 95 EX has the connecting pipe with the left black nipple and it has the manifold with the tree nipples and all the hoses are connected perfectly and the engine that Im putting together it is set up the same way minus the manifold since Im using the Edelbrock Performer X.
Old 05-18-2008, 08:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

41 views, not a single reply, comon guys if you are running a D16Z6 can you please check to see which one you have (intake and also the connecting pipe)
Old 05-18-2008, 09:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Did the D16Z6 came with two different intake manifolds/connecting pipe? (Boricuanology)

when i had that engine it was ZC vtec i just plugged it up with a hose and a spark plug at the other end...i didnt know what to do with it....
Old 05-18-2008, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Did the D16Z6 came with two different intake manifolds/connecting pipe? (dubzxallxstar)

Those are the lines that go from the IACV to the FITV and then back to the other side of the head. You can bypass all that and run one hose from the left nipple to the one near the VTEC solenoid. Just make sure you block off the FITV.
Old 05-18-2008, 03:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

refresh my memory again plese, what is FITV and where is located?
Old 05-23-2008, 04:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok guys after checking both diagrams and going over the issues that I have I ended up doing this:

My first idea was to connect two of the hoses from the connecting pipe (2 nipples) into the Y, then the other one to the EACV. But ended up doing this, accourding to the diagrams both ways would have been ok, this way was much easier, and it still retain the original flow of the cooler.