Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Did a compression test on my friends civic si hatch? Now it wont start.

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 12:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did a compression test on my friends civic si hatch? Now it wont start.

The car is a 93 Civic Si Hatch with a d16z6 motor. I did a compression test, I took the plugs out and I took the spark plug wires off completely from the engine and the distrubutor. We cranked it and got some compression numbers. But I did not unplug the connector that goes to the distrubutor. Could that damage the distrubutor? Car wont spark.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:05 AM

Default Re: Did a compression test on my friends civic si hatch? Now it wont start. (fc3s_turbo)

I did my 91 Mazda Miata with 1.8 swap and my other 2 friends with 89 240sx. All of them had no problems.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah you damged the internal parts.. you gotta unplug the dizzy when you do this
Old 11-16-2005, 01:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i never unplug my dizzy. always works right afterwards. i've done compression test on many different types of cars. all i did was took out spark plug wires from hole leave it aside(never touch nothing near the dizzy) remove spark plugs, remove ecu fuse, crank 7 times per cylinder, put everything back, always works.
Old 11-16-2005, 02:59 AM

Default Re: (lv6l)

i wont if he floored it making sure that it went limp mode and would not flood shutting off injectors like i hear other people saying to do
Old 11-16-2005, 08:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

did you put the plugs back on in the correct order?
Old 11-16-2005, 09:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lv6l &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i never unplug my dizzy. always works right afterwards. i've done compression test on many different types of cars. all i did was took out spark plug wires from hole leave it aside(never touch nothing near the dizzy) remove spark plugs, remove ecu fuse, crank 7 times per cylinder, put everything back, always works.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Then you have done several compression tests the WRONG way and have gotten lucky everytime. Replace the coil in the dist, then come back and tell us if it starts. You either want to learn or you want to argue. Pick one.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah u gotta unplug both those dizzy plugs or who knows what will happen. (i mean i dont)
Old 11-16-2005, 09:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (turbotime)

I always pull the ecu fuse. No spark, no Fuel, no problems.

But anyway my guess for the original poster, you probably have the dist. 180.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:30 AM

Default Re: Did a compression test on my friends civic si hatch? Now it wont start. (fc3s_turbo)

I did put all the plugs back together on the right spot. We had another hatch with same motor to look at just in case. The distrubutor isnt sparking no more. So I do need to unplug the electrical. Both 240sx were ok, but there is a coil plug that looks like a plug wire, but it was disconnected. My Miata has no distrubutor but nothing happened to my coil pack.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fc3s_turbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I did put all the plugs back together on the right spot. We had another hatch with same motor to look at just in case. The distrubutor isnt sparking no more. So I do need to unplug the electrical. Both 240sx were ok, but there is a coil plug that looks like a plug wire, but it was disconnected. My Miata has no distrubutor but nothing happened to my coil pack.</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you will stop and listen for 10 seconds... REPLACE THE COIL.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:44 AM

Default Re: Did a compression test on my friends civic si hatch? Now it wont start. (Hybrid93Eg)

Well my friend has a lifetime warranty on distrubutors at the parts store, so its probably gonna work then.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:46 AM

just wanted to know if I did it wrong, and I guess i did.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Luserkid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I always pull the ecu fuse. No spark, no Fuel, no problems.

But anyway my guess for the original poster, you probably have the dist. 180. </TD></TR></TABLE>

you cannot put a dist in 180 out. I hope you meant that he has the firing order wrong..
Old 11-16-2005, 10:24 AM

Default Re: (Hybrid93Eg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid93Eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

you cannot put a dist in 180 out. I hope you meant that he has the firing order wrong.. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, really you can. It's not easy but you can definitely do it. I don't know how many times I've been called to figure out what's wrong with a car and that's what it was. Hell, even did it once myself at 3 am before realizing that it was fully seated against the head....
Old 11-16-2005, 10:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Dave421)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dave421 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yeah, really you can. It's not easy but you can definitely do it. I don't know how many times I've been called to figure out what's wrong with a car and that's what it was. Hell, even did it once myself at 3 am before realizing that it was fully seated against the head....</TD></TR></TABLE>

If it doesn't fully seat then its not in, period. Therefore, as I said. You cannot put the dist "in" 180 degress out. If you got it "in" 180 out, then you shouldn't be touching a car.
Old 11-16-2005, 11:01 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid93Eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

If it doesn't fully seat then its not in, period. Therefore, as I said. You cannot put the dist "in" 180 degress out. If you got it "in" 180 out, then you shouldn't be touching a car.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Seriously, did you read what I said? I have taken several distributors OFF / OUT that were ON / IN 180 out. And when you work on a car for 27 hours, come and talk to me about a small mistake at 3 am. Have you never seen an older distributor with looser bearings? It's not really that hard obviously by the number I've seen installed that way.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dave421 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Seriously, did you read what I said? I have taken several distributors OFF / OUT that were ON / IN 180 out. And when you work on a car for 27 hours, come and talk to me about a small mistake at 3 am. Have you never seen an older distributor with looser bearings? It's not really that hard obviously by the number I've seen installed that way. </TD></TR></TABLE>

The key is offset about 1/8th of an inch. I am sure you are aware of this. if you have something with bearings that have 1/8th of an inch of play, then you have a piece of crap. It might not be hard for those lacking brain cells, but for someone with even the slightest of clues, its more then obvious how the distributor should be put in. I'm done with this.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so proper way of testing is you always have to remove the electrical harness plug that is hook on the distributor?
Old 11-16-2005, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

your supposed to disable igntion and fuel pump before doing so
Old 11-16-2005, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lv6l &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so proper way of testing is you always have to remove the electrical harness plug that is hook on the distributor?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes. I always unhook the injector clips and unplug the dist. The injected fuel will not only cause for hard starting when you are done with the comp test, but COULD alter the readings slightly. Its also commonly overlooked that a compression test should be done with the gas pedal fully depressed (WOT).
Old 11-16-2005, 03:38 PM

The key is offset about 1/8th of an inch. I am sure you are aware of this. if you have something with bearings that have 1/8th of an inch of play, then you have a piece of crap. It might not be hard for those lacking brain cells, but for someone with even the slightest of clues, its more then obvious how the distributor should be put in. I'm done with this.</TD></TR></TABLE>

agreed, that's why I usually fix them. Again, if you want to tell me you can work on a car for 27 hours with no mistakes, then I'll bow down, otherwise, shut up about it. I posted for others information because there have been various threads that I've found on here where people had issues with it being 180 out and not going on or being 180 out and not running. Saying that it can't go on 180 out was incorrect and I corrected it. Now perhaps some people will know to check accurately before putting it on or running into problems
Old 11-16-2005, 04:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

agreed, that's why I usually fix them. Again, if you want to tell me you can work on a car for 27 hours with no mistakes, then I'll bow down, otherwise, shut up about it. I posted for others information because there have been various threads that I've found on here where people had issues with it being 180 out and not going on or being 180 out and not running. Saying that it can't go on 180 out was incorrect and I corrected it. Now perhaps some people will know to check accurately before putting it on or running into problems</TD></TR></TABLE>

I can make anything fit on anything with enough force. This still doesn't make it "correct"... I guess it does in your world though.
Old 11-16-2005, 07:24 PM

Are you that dense? Where did I say it was correct to put it on 180 out? I said that the info that you CAN'T put it on 180 out was incorrect. Reading owns you fool.
Old 11-16-2005, 08:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dave421 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Are you that dense? Where did I say it was correct to put it on 180 out? I said that the info that you CAN'T put it on 180 out was incorrect. Reading owns you fool.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Comprehension is just as important as reading. I'm sorry you can't comprehend, understand, interpret, whatever you want to say, what I typed. "forcing" something into place does not mean that one can now say it "fits".. You get it?

Quick Reply: Did a compression test on my friends civic si hatch? Now it wont start.