Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

did black interior ever come in 96-00 civics

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 09:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default did black interior ever come in 96-00 civics

i have a 97 civic dx hatch and i have dark gray interior and i want black so i was thinking maybe i can just buy black interior for my car if thats possible or paint it..feedback please
Old 03-01-2009, 09:15 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: did black interior ever come in 96-00 civics

i think only si's came with black?
you can try that dupli color fabric paint.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

a lot of people have used dyes with good results.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what do you mean interior as in seats or dashboard or headliner what are you talking about and my si didnt come with a black interior it was dark gray all over
Old 03-01-2009, 09:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sis came with type K(dark gray)
not sure but i think SIRs came with black cuz i saw an add for SIR door panels and they were black
Old 03-01-2009, 09:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No USDM civic came with black interior. Closest we got was type k (dark grey). There are other countries that got it, however. I know Japan was one...I'm sure there are others. Unfortunately there are a few big problems with using the JDM interiors pieces: 1. They are RHD and 2. They are expensive. So you are either going to have to stick it out with the USDM type K interior or paint your interior--which usually does not have very good results.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:54 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

In the US the only interior colors available for '96-'00 Civics were:

TYPE F (Excel Charcoal aka light gray) ('96-'00 coupes, '96-'97 hatches, '96-'00 sedans)
TYPE K (Classy Gray aka dark gray) ('96-'00 coupes, '96-'00 hatches)
TYPE P (Medium Taupe aka tan) ('96-'00 sedans)

All USDM Civic Si coupes (EM1) came with Classy Gray interiors.

Overseas there were black interiors. Japan and Europe both had it available. It would be a lot of trouble and money to get a full black interior to the US, much less a LHD version.

Some interior colors for '96-'00 Civics overseas were:

NH1L - BLACK ('96-'99)
NH84L - HALF BLACK ('96)
NH120L - STAR BLACK ('96-'99)
NH167L - GRAPHITE BLACK ('96-'99)
NH220L - CLEAR GRAY ('96-'99)
NH264L - CLASSY GRAY ('96-'99)
NH293L - SEAGULL GRAY ('97-'99)
2TN391 (NH167L/NH264L) - GRAPHITE BLACK / CLASSY GRAY ('97-'99)

Most colors were available for 2000 too, but I didn't look that year up.

I personally love my Classy Gray EX interior. Keep it clean and any stock finish can look good.

Last edited by NOFX; 03-01-2009 at 10:09 PM.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^^^ good info. no black for us.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^^def was some good info but i know 99-00 EXs came with type F(light gray)
Old 03-01-2009, 11:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

damn because i got a armrest delete for free and its black...me and my buddy just coverted his tan interior integra to black. we used SEM landau black came out real nice so i might just spray everything..now i just need a place to do it at..thanks for the replies
Old 03-01-2009, 11:31 PM
H-T White Ops

Originally Posted by phonetxt
^^^def was some good info but i know 99-00 EXs came with type F(light gray)
I didn't say they didn't. In fact, I said both the '96-'00 coupes and sedans (which both include all EXes) came in light gray.

Thanks for the compliments and you're welcome.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

My bro and his friend work at a high-end body shop, so they deal with dye quite often. As long as you practice a little, don't get the cheap stuff, and take your time, it will turn out excellent. IIRC they do have dye for the hard vinyl, but not for the plastic. Most of is a universal fit or black anyways.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Howcome we park on driveways, and drive on parkways?

Im converting mine right now...

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/how-diy-custom-interior-project-%2A%2Ano56k%2A%2A-2500737/

Red JDM SRD Recaro's on the way....
Just re-wrapped my door panel arm rests in Red....

Plan on being done in a week or two....check it out...
Old 03-02-2009, 08:54 AM
kp
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here I am reading all this and thinking 'Hey! My old EK had black interior!' But now that I look at some pictures, it's looks to be dark grey. What is it? One shade from being black? Stupid Honda.

Old 03-02-2009, 10:25 AM
H-T White Ops

Originally Posted by kp
Here I am reading all this and thinking 'Hey! My old EK had black interior!' But now that I look at some pictures, it's looks to be dark grey. What is it? One shade from being black? Stupid Honda.
Yeah, looks like dark gray.

What's so bad about that? How does it make Honda stupid?
Old 03-02-2009, 04:29 PM
kp
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NOFX
Yeah, looks like dark gray.

What's so bad about that? How does it make Honda stupid?
First off, I was joking. Secondly, I think 9 out of 10 Honda lovers would prefer black interior over dark grey. It's such a shame that didn't sell the EK with the black interior option.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DC2-ProdUcTiOnS
Im converting mine right now...

https://honda-tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2500737

Red JDM SRD Recaro's on the way....
Just re-wrapped my door panel arm rests in Red....

Plan on being done in a week or two....check it out...
im doing the same thing...i already got the recaros now i just need to wrap the door panels but i dont know how hard it would be.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by HiProfile
My bro and his friend work at a high-end body shop, so they deal with dye quite often. As long as you practice a little, don't get the cheap stuff, and take your time, it will turn out excellent. IIRC they do have dye for the hard vinyl, but not for the plastic. Most of is a universal fit or black anyways.
SEM makes a paint for painting interior like the plastics inside out car....we sprayed most of my buddies interior looks oem when we compared it to oem black with the SEM paint. here a DIY http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=157164
Old 03-02-2009, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

NOFX is right about the colors. The Classy Gray is a very dark gray, but is not black. The problem is is that everyone wants black. It's the same with every single car club. Everyone wants black interior. I myself love the grays. My RX-7 had a dark gray interior with red exterior and I loved it. Everyone and their brother wanted black interior then too. Honestly, to me it gets old seeing everyone do their interior the same. Most people buy red carpet, red seats, and wrap the door panels red and paint the interior black. It looks good, but everyone does it and to me it gets really old.

In my EG I will most likely end up keeping the interior the light gray it is but just adding white accents, that way it won't look like every other Type R wannabe out there.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:49 PM
H-T White Ops

Originally Posted by kp
First off, I was joking. Secondly, I think 9 out of 10 Honda lovers would prefer black interior over dark grey. It's such a shame that didn't sell the EK with the black interior option.
I doubt that 90% would prefer it. It looks like already I have someone else (The Honda Guy) agreeing with me.

I've dealt with a black interior on a daily basis. No thanks. Dust showed up very well and it looked dry all the time.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

kp do you still have that type k airbag tray LOL I want it
Old 03-02-2009, 07:50 PM

for SEM. I'm doing my interior right now as well. Just painted the plastic pieces today and they turned out GREAT. Get a bottle of SEM Plastic Prep and Sand Free.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<learns a new honda fact
Old 03-02-2009, 08:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NOFX
I doubt that 90% would prefer it. It looks like already I have someone else (The Honda Guy) agreeing with me.

I've dealt with a black interior on a daily basis. No thanks. Dust showed up very well and it looked dry all the time.
I completely agree with you. I used to want a black interior on my RX-7 until I realized that everyone else wanted black too. Tons of the cars I work on have black interior and it gets really old. Also, the black seems to just kind of blend together and not really have any distinctive features to it. Also, trying to find black interior parts is a mother ****er, and if you do want a black interior for your EG you WILL pay out the *** for it. I myself would rather stick with the light or dark gray and accent it nicely instead of trying to convert it.

Also, I've yet to see an interior that was dyed or painted that actually looked right. In pictures it looks good, but most of the time when you actually sit in the interior and see it it's terrible. It usually feels very dry and looks dry. For sure painted stuff in the interior never turns out right because it will always be too bright and doesn't mesh with the interior correctly, not to mention when it catches sunlight it gets very very annoying. Also, painted interiors generally never hold up very long due to the expanding and contracting of the parts in different temps, especially around here.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by The_Honda_Guy
I completely agree with you. I used to want a black interior on my RX-7 until I realized that everyone else wanted black too. Tons of the cars I work on have black interior and it gets really old. Also, the black seems to just kind of blend together and not really have any distinctive features to it. Also, trying to find black interior parts is a mother ****er, and if you do want a black interior for your EG you WILL pay out the *** for it. I myself would rather stick with the light or dark gray and accent it nicely instead of trying to convert it.

Also, I've yet to see an interior that was dyed or painted that actually looked right. In pictures it looks good, but most of the time when you actually sit in the interior and see it it's terrible. It usually feels very dry and looks dry. For sure painted stuff in the interior never turns out right because it will always be too bright and doesn't mesh with the interior correctly, not to mention when it catches sunlight it gets very very annoying. Also, painted interiors generally never hold up very long due to the expanding and contracting of the parts in different temps, especially around here.

I highly disagree with what you have posted its all on how you prep if you want half *** results youll prep half ***. I have my interior dyed black with the sem dye it costs about $14 for a can but hey if you wanna do it right then you have to buy the right stuff you wouldnt walk into autzone and pick up the dupicolor plastic dye and expect to it to work the same. I have tried to scratch it,normal abuse to normal day driving from people getting in and out all day. Landua black which i used is a gloss black finish so it doesnt look dude. When you run your figure across any peice it feels oem not like paint it adheres to the plastic . I have put interior clean in it and doesnt leave any blotting like if you used paint. I have used the the dupicolor from autozone and compared to the SEM its junk. Ill stand by this SEM dye all day long.

Quick Reply: did black interior ever come in 96-00 civics