Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

diagnostic at a shop

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 09:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default diagnostic at a shop

would you trust a shop for diagnosing your car? are prices subject to change? will they manage to find out what the problem is?

there are shops that charges from 40 to 100 dollars. since nobody is able to trouble shoot for me, should i go ahead and give it a shot?
Old 09-29-2008, 09:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: diagnostic at a shop (G2_Fella)

dont go to the stealership
Old 09-29-2008, 09:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: diagnostic at a shop (Spool This)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Spool This &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dont go to the stealership </TD></TR></TABLE>

only time i go there is to buy parts(when needed!!!)
Old 09-30-2008, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i went to a different shop again today. now this *****[freak]a told me to go back to the transmission shop and ask them to take a look again. if they can't find a problem, come back to him and he'll re-do the tranny and clutch again. wtf?!!! he said it with so much confidence and so easy like it's going to happen that way.

i'm just gonna keep trying(hope my engine doesn't blow up by the time i find the problem.)
Old 09-30-2008, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I may have missed your original post talking about what your problem is but I always love a good diag. just not as fun when conveyed through a forum. Anyway depending on the vehicle and the mech that would do it would really be if it is worth it or not. I have found that a tech is only as good as his experince so. something that he hasent seen before may take longer for him to find then say somebody that only works on hondas and has been for 25 years. If you dont feel confident in trying to figure it out then what choice do you have anyway? its got to get fixed, let me know we might be able to come up with something.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: diagnostic at a shop (gsrhatch2356)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gsrhatch2356 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I may have missed your original post talking about what your problem is but I always love a good diag. just not as fun when conveyed through a forum. Anyway depending on the vehicle and the mech that would do it would really be if it is worth it or not. I have found that a tech is only as good as his experince so. something that he hasent seen before may take longer for him to find then say somebody that only works on hondas and has been for 25 years. If you dont feel confident in trying to figure it out then what choice do you have anyway? its got to get fixed, let me know we might be able to come up with something.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i been crying out here for the past 2 days hoping someone could understand what i'm saying and can at least diagnose to their best of knowledge.

the problem is whenever i step on the gas pedal for a long time on first,second, and third gear(like i'm going to race the car) it bogs. what is wrong here?

shops said they diagnose for free only test drive it. first shop said it's the fuel pump relay or fuel pump. second shop today said it's the tranny. and when i hear that i just wanted to cry and quit driving.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no answer?
Old 10-01-2008, 11:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well the first step of any diag is to determine if it is the tranny or the engine. a tranny problem can usally be pretty easy to determine cause if there is anything wrong then it usally acts like it is in neutral and you can still rev the motor fine ( automatics, its the clutchpacks, manual its the clutch) now there are alot of other tranny problems that could happen but those are the most common. manual trans really are hard to mess up. it either grinds, dont go into gear, or slips. automatic trans can cause high shift points or not shifting at all. it sounds like you have a engine problem so one of the first things that I would do is look at the tps and map sensor. these have a major effect on drivabillity. both sensors kind of work the same, they hace three wires
1. 5v refrence which comes from the computer and should not vary by no more then .1v anything less then 5v shows resistance in th wire from the computer to the sensor anything more shows a short to power or resistor in computer is shorted.

2. ground supplied by the computer you should be able to take a mulimeter and place the black lead on the negitive battery and red lead on the ground wire of the two sensors. you shouldnt see any voltage. if there is more than .5v on ground side of sensor then there is resistance built up in wire or ground has shorted to voltage.

3. Signal wire. this one is where they are a little diffrent. with the tps you can go key hot and with black lead on neg of battery and red lead on signal of tps, slowly open the throttle and you will be looking for a very clean voltage change if the voltage drops off or jumps then the tps is bad givin that the first two wires checked out ok. with the map sensor I will have to get you a table to compare it to but same thing though except with the car running you should look at the signal wire and as you snap the throttle you should see a pretty smooth change (this is kind of hard to do on a multimeter cause the refresh rate is not as fast as like a scope) but will work for driveway diag.

as far as thoughs go of course you need to check the obivious like compression.
do you notice it misfire? do you have a cel? does it ever flash?

after these thing are checked, I would move on to the 02 sensor and look at the signal to see if it is running rich or lean. I will get the graph for the map and post it shortly.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: diagnostic at a shop (gsrhatch2356)

hopefully this works, I cant ever get the images to work.

Old 10-01-2008, 12:39 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by G2_Fella &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the problem is whenever i step on the gas pedal for a long time on first,second, and third gear(like i'm going to race the car) it bogs. what is wrong here?

shops said they diagnose for free only test drive it. first shop said it's the fuel pump relay or fuel pump. second shop today said it's the tranny.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I think your first shop tried hard to make an educated guess. The second shop seems clueless to me. Theres not really anything that could go wrong in a manual tranny that matches what you're describing. If your giving it gas and the engine is reving up and the car isn't moving anywhere thats a slipping clutch, but from your description thats not whats going on. gsrhatch2356 might have something.
Old 10-01-2008, 05:54 PM
Davis Photography

I had a similar problem where, in racing conditions or highway driving, I would loose power trying to accelerate and it would bog until the rpms reached around 2k rpm. Then it would be fine after that.

I swapped out my dizzy and the problem hasn't returned.