Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Diagnosing a non working heater on 95 Civic

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diagnosing a non working heater on 95 Civic

Ok so recently my heater just went out, as in when i switch the heater fan to 1-4 it will not come on.I've checked all the fuses and the engine fuses as well and no dice they are still working fine. i was thinking maybe it was the motor just going out but i read on here in some other thread that there are other things that might do the same such as a worn resistor coil within the heather and the switch itself on the climate control.

so my question is how do i know which is which thats causing my heater to not work anymore?also the A/C in the car has been removed and i also took the liberty of removing the heater unit that houses the fan motor in order to further examine the problem.thanks for whatever help you can offer
Old 12-01-2009, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Diagnosing a non working heater on 95 Civic

bump plz help
Old 12-02-2009, 01:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine just went out too... Was working on my way home from work, stopped at Staples, and then when I got back out, it would not work anymore. Do not know if it is related, but the lights behind just the right side where the fan switch is appear to be out too (but think they were working last time I drove the car at night).

Really sucked because it is cold and rainy here today and the way home from Staples my window was fogging up like crazy.
Old 12-02-2009, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

check ur coolant,
Old 12-02-2009, 01:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Did you follow the heater hose under your hood and check the cable attached valve on the hose near the firewall? that cable is attached to your heater temp control. If it broke, you need to open it manually until spring/summer.

What is your coolant level like? (BC ninja'd my advice here
If your low there might not be enough water to circulate to the heater core.

Last edited by 95streetciv; 12-02-2009 at 01:47 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 12-02-2009, 04:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

How does that have anything to do with the fans??? The heater core is fine and gets coolant, I get nothing in any fan position though (Off through 4). Which I believe is the same problem as the OP, not just a "lack of heat". You will not get any heat if you do not bring air over the heater core.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

a quick way is to run a 12v wire to the fan motor to rule out that. the resistor block is notorious for going out, so check that out
Old 12-02-2009, 07:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok so far what i noticed when i use a voltimeter is that when i switch the fan on 1-3 reads nothing but when i switch on 4 i get a reading where it plugs into the blower motor, so i think it might be the switch itself cuz the cable to control the temp is fine

pretty much i took out the whole entire climate control, and the blower motor assembly. im thinking im just gonna go to a junkyard and gettin a climate control along with a blower motor and the resistor and hopefully that'll work
Old 12-02-2009, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

oh yeah and i also used the meter to check the motor and that too is reading properly.im confused
Old 12-02-2009, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dud its ur resistor box. 1-3 nothing but 4 is good. 4 is like a stright wire to the motor. that sounds about right. i would order a new resistor box and call it a day
Old 12-02-2009, 08:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tico
dud its ur resistor box. 1-3 nothing but 4 is good. 4 is like a stright wire to the motor. that sounds about right. i would order a new resistor box and call it a day
ok sounds good then imma try the one i have bought new from the zone tomorrow and see what happens.thanks for the help yo HT gets **** done :thumbs up:
Old 12-03-2009, 05:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well to add to my problem...

Climbed in the car this morning and the fan was working fine again. Was set to 2, but was cold, and bumped it to 3 and it worked just as it should and was set to blow defrost and feet. Got too hot as I was nearing work so I turned it down to 2, again worked fine. I am supposed to be selling the car this weekend so I decided to see if the AC still worked (have not used it since I got the car about 2 months ago). First I switched it from defrost/feet to upper vents (still at fan speed 2) and it was working fine, once it cooled down, I hit the AC switch to see if the air got colder and nothing. Switched it to speed 4, nothing, off and back on, still nothing.

Now I am back to it not working again. Does this sound like the resistor box? (Almost sounded like you said/suggested that it should run at a speed of 4 (basically bypassing the resistor box) if the box is the problem?) Well if it does not run on any speed 1-4 what does that suggest? Fan motor is quiet and makes no odd noises/sounds (most cars I have owned the fan motor starts to screech and howl before it goes out).

Does this still sound like the same problem you are/were having, [713]? Sorry if I am confused, I could not tell if when you checked the voltage and got something on speed 4 if the fan would kick on or not (mine does not). I would really like to fix this before I sell the car this weekend.

Last edited by ben98gs; 12-03-2009 at 05:18 AM.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Can someone help...

Took it all apart last Thurs, tested the blower, it works fine, tested the resistor, it worked fine (actually had a new one too and replaced it and it still did not work). Tore the switch apart and it looked fine. Hooked everything back up and it initially did not work, took out the new resistor, put in the old and unplugged and replugged everything back in and it worked fine. Tested it multiple times and everything worked

So I thought I had it fixed... Had worked fine until today and it went out again. Works about every 3rd or 4th time I turn on the car. Anyone have a wiring diagram of the fan/blower system? All the harnesses looked fine, no wires starting to pull out the back or anything, no corrosion, fuses are not blown, blower motor itself is fine, new resistor did not change anything. Any clue as to what to try next?
Old 12-09-2009, 09:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i pretty much just took the whole thing out and just riding without one since i dont have the funds atm to buy me another climate control and heater assembly but id like any input from someone with the know how cuz i have no idea anymore and im stumped with the whole thing
Old 12-10-2009, 05:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

At least in TX you might not need the heat AS much... it is a high of 19* today... Heat would definitely be nice. lol
Old 12-10-2009, 06:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ever had a remote start installed? Im thinking the secondary or primary accessory wire could be loose in the ignition harness under the steerring column..if not take a peek at the harnesses you said that didnt have any corrosion. If you took things apart and it worked better after, could you have scratched off some corrosion on the terminals and it worked? Any moisture in the car? Nothing loose when its "on" and you try to move wires around?
Old 12-10-2009, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Sleeper95ej
Ever had a remote start installed? Im thinking the secondary or primary accessory wire could be loose in the ignition harness under the steerring column..if not take a peek at the harnesses you said that didnt have any corrosion. If you took things apart and it worked better after, could you have scratched off some corrosion on the terminals and it worked? Any moisture in the car? Nothing loose when its "on" and you try to move wires around?
I do not know about the remote start at some point, but nothing is currently installed.

I thought I might have knocked some corrosion loose or re-seated something, but I have tried to wiggle all the wires/harnesses on the switch, resistor, and blower motor but nothing worked..

Where is the relay located for the system? When looking up the prices on stuff on rockauto I noticed that they had a relay for like $8. Is that in a fuse box or somewhere else under the dash?
Old 01-07-2010, 04:41 PM
New User

Bump for this... Mine is doing the same thing, did you find a solution?