Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

diagnosing front end noise 2000 Civic EX

Old 09-25-2013, 06:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 diagnosing front end noise 2000 Civic EX

I'm trying to figure out the source of a rumbling noise in my driver's side front wheel. I had thought all along it was the wheel bearing but after replacing the bearing (NTN) with no improvement it must be something else. The noise sounds just like a bad bearing and decreases when turning a bit left. I have no clunking noises in sharp turns from the CV joints but the last time I had the knuckle off I thought the outer CV seems a bit stiff. I pulled the boot back and I cleaned out the old grease and everything looks clean & shiny inside. I could not see or feel any signs of wear. I have put at least 100,000 km on this car since I got it (now at 370,000 km) and the axles looked like they were replaced before I got it. After 100,000 km you would think the CV joint would have loosened up a bit. I would expect the axle stub to sag under its own weight with the boot off. I can easily move the axle around by hand with about 1 or 2 pounds of force. I have seen CV joints worn out and too loose but never too tight. Do you think this could be the source of noise?
Old 09-25-2013, 06:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: diagnosing front end noise 2000 Civic EX

Have you checked the condition of your tires yet? I'd had rumbling issues with cars turn out to be a slightly separated tire.

Already do a full shakedown on the front end with the control arm supported?
Old 09-25-2013, 07:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by nismoracingsx
Have you checked the condition of your tires yet? I'd had rumbling issues with cars turn out to be a slightly separated tire.

Already do a full shakedown on the front end with the control arm supported?
I don't think it is the tires. I got the same noise with my old summer tires, my snow tires, and my new summer tires, plus I just rotated the tires and the noise is not affected.

By shakedown you mean running the wheels with the car jacked up? I have not done that yet but I was planning to do it this afternoon.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Normally you jack the car up and use another jack under the control arm to 'unload' the suspension, and then you check for side to side, up and down, in and out type movements.

It can help pinpoint ball joint, bearing, and bushing issues. If you get excess play somewhere, have a friend repeat the movement while you take a peek behind the wheel (with jackstands of course )

Good luck.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Normally you jack the car up and use another jack under the control arm to 'unload' the suspension, and then you check for side to side, up and down, in and out type movements.

It can help pinpoint ball joint, bearing, and bushing issues. If you get excess play somewhere, have a friend repeat the movement while you take a peek behind the wheel (with jackstands of course )

Good luck.
I should have done this before! I found grumbling noise from the passenger side wheel, not the driver's side as I expected. My wife was inside the car pressing on the gas and she also reported noise for the passenger wheel but not the driver's side. This seems weird to me since the noise was so bad while driving when sitting in the driver's seat but not that noticeable in the passenger seat. Can't explain it but I'll change the other wheel bearing and see what happens.

Thanks for getting me on the right track.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Keep us posted. Good luck.
Old 09-28-2013, 03:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Keep us posted. Good luck.
I replaced the passenger side wheel bearing and it certainly was the culprit. As soon as I had the knuckle off the axle so I could turn it easily by hand I felt and heard the evidence of a bad bearing. Photo attached.

Noise gone. I can actually hear the engine again. I don't really understand why the noise seemed to be coming from the driver's side. It was very loud in the driver's seat but not that noticeable in the passenger seat. It also seems that noise transmission from the suspension into the car is quite direct. On other cars I had with bad wheel bearings I noticed it mostly when the side window was open.

Thanks for your help!
Attached Images  
Old 09-28-2013, 07:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Glad to hear it.