Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Diagnose my idle problem! (not IACV, FITV, no vaccum leaks)

Old 10-03-2004, 08:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diagnose my idle problem! (not IACV, FITV, no vaccum leaks)

UPDATE 10-22-04

ok. Here is the deal. I have a 94 4dr eg with a JDM b18c. Ever sinice the swap took place, ive had a surging idle problem between 1100rpm and 1300 rpm. I am throwing a code 14(IACV) but I can't seem to fix it.

Recap of what has already been done to try and solve this problem:
1.)replaced AND cleaned IACV (im still throwing a code for it)
2.) replaced TPS
3.) replaced IAT
4.) sprayed every hose and gasket with carb cleaner checking for vaccum leaks
5.) installed skunk2 mani WITH a new gasket (all previous gasket completely removed)
6.)bypassed FITV
7.)checked throttle cable/bracket/pulley etc

this is a video of IVI's idle problem http://www.we-todd-did-racing....DE%3D

mine does exactly the same thing except mine surges from 1100-1300 instead of 1500 - 1800.

If it helps to determine ANYTHING, after I filled up with gas today & started my car back up(10-22-04), the engine light shut off and the idle went to normal. It was WONDERFUL. After about 20minutes of smoothe driving, the engine light came back on and idle started messing up again. I havent even tampered with this thing for a couple of weeks and am just wondering what would cause it to be "fixed" for 20minutes and then all of a sudden get messed up again?

I need help badly bc it is a pain in the *** to drive in traffic with this problem. The car jumps all over the place and i cant ride the clutch all of the time to compensate for it or my clutch will go out.

Modified by Chris M at 9:59 AM 10/22/2004
Old 10-03-2004, 10:12 AM

Default Re: Diagnose my idle problem! (Chris M)

bump
Old 10-03-2004, 11:40 AM
eL
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

bump for you man...

I'm still having the same problems.
Old 10-03-2004, 01:46 PM

Default Re: (eL)

does anybody know the symptoms of a bad IAT??????
Old 10-03-2004, 03:07 PM

Default Re: (Chris M)

blackish tip or melted on end..
Old 10-03-2004, 03:26 PM

Default Re: (909vteckiller)

Could be the Manifold...when I put the AEBS mani on my Si I had the same problem. I just blocked the IACV and turned the idle to about 1K...works pretty well except for cold mornings. Takes a little rev to keep it idling.
Old 10-03-2004, 03:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

u tried changing the ecu?
Old 10-03-2004, 03:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

make sure u didnt plug ur evap purge solenoid plug into the iat sensor
Old 10-03-2004, 08:53 PM

Default Re: (dantastic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 909vteckiller &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">blackish tip or melted on end..</TD></TR></TABLE>
yeah the tip is melted, thats why its throwing the code, but are there any other noticeable symptoms, such as idle fluctuations?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 99blusi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Could be the Manifold...when I put the AEBS mani on my Si I had the same problem. I just blocked the IACV and turned the idle to about 1K...works pretty well except for cold mornings. Takes a little rev to keep it idling.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I just installed this manifold yesterday and this problem has been going on for months. Also, the IACV has totally been replaced and I am not throwing a code for it so I know its good.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dark_Civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">u tried changing the ecu?</TD></TR></TABLE>
yep, put my friends chipped kenji p28 in there also, no success

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dantastic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">make sure u didnt plug ur evap purge solenoid plug into the iat sensor</TD></TR></TABLE>
its not. before i had the IACV and the IAT plugs crossed and i was throwing a code 10 and 14, but i fixed it and the code 14 is gone now so I only have 10.

Any other ideas anyone?

Thanks to the people who have tried to help so far!
Old 10-03-2004, 09:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

u tried changing the sensor?
Old 10-03-2004, 09:40 PM

Default Re: (Dark_Civic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dark_Civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">u tried changing the sensor?</TD></TR></TABLE>
not yet i just found out what it was today but wanted some feedback on it first. i already ordered a new one but am just curious to see if that could be the idle problem or if anyone has any other ideas.
Old 10-03-2004, 11:13 PM

bump for the late night
Old 10-04-2004, 04:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you messed with either the idle air bypass screw or the throttle plate stop screw in an attempt to fix your idle? What is the TPS voltage sitting at?

What does your idle sit at with the IACV unplugged? Is there any air being pulled into the FITV hole when the engine is fully warmed up?

Have you rebled the coolant?
Old 10-04-2004, 05:20 PM

Default Re: (EE_Chris)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EE_Chris &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Have you messed with either the idle air bypass screw or the throttle plate stop screw in an attempt to fix your idle? What is the TPS voltage sitting at?</TD></TR></TABLE>

havent messed with any of those things....im not sure about the TPS voltage bc i dont have a multimeter, but I did put a new TPS on there about a week ago and that didnt fix it.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EE_Chris &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What does your idle sit at with the IACV unplugged? Is there any air being pulled into the FITV hole when the engine is fully warmed up?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I will check to see what its idling at when I unplug the IACV but it shouldnt be that bc its brand new and Im not throwing a code for it. I plugged the FITV holes with JB weld AND with a plate/gasket maker so there is absolutely no air gettin in that baby.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EE_Chris &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Have you rebled the coolant? </TD></TR></TABLE>
yep
Old 10-04-2004, 06:03 PM

Old 10-04-2004, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

is it idling like you described at any engine temp? does anything change when it's warm? what ecu are you using now?
Old 10-04-2004, 06:36 PM

Default Re: Diagnose my idle problem! (yaya)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by yaya &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">is it idling like you described at any engine temp? does anything change when it's warm? what ecu are you using now?</TD></TR></TABLE>

it always starts to surge as the engine warms up and it bounces from about 1100-13000 rpm. i am using a skunk2 ecu. its not the ecu though bc i put my friends ecu in there and it still surged. bump for answers
Old 10-04-2004, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

check your throttle body and see is the plate is closing all the way or if it is stuck open slightly. If its open slightly it will cause the idle issue

my 2 cents
Old 10-04-2004, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Diagnose my idle problem! (DrVtec99)

if you could stop bumping "for" information and bump "with" some information it would be helpful.

What happens when you unplug the IACV as someone already said.

Further, again is this when the engine is cold? Hot? Both?
Old 10-04-2004, 11:23 PM

Default Re: Diagnose my idle problem! (Falqon)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Falqon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if you could stop bumping "for" information and bump "with" some information it would be helpful.

What happens when you unplug the IACV as someone already said.

Further, again is this when the engine is cold? Hot? Both?</TD></TR></TABLE>

ok it would help if u would read my responses. I said it does it after the engine warms up. like i said before, the IACV is brand new, there is no codes it is NOT an IACV problem.

thank you everyone who has helped so far, i appreciate it greatly. new ideas are welcome too.

Modified by Chris M at 3:41 AM 10/5/2004
Old 10-04-2004, 11:32 PM

Default Re: Diagnose my idle problem! (DrVtec99)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DrVtec99 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">check your throttle body and see is the plate is closing all the way or if it is stuck open slightly. If its open slightly it will cause the idle issue

my 2 cents</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah thats what i thought was happening but when i looked at it, it seemed fine.
Old 10-04-2004, 11:47 PM
my house has wheels on it

on mine, same engine different chassis, i had the same prob, one of the local shops was able to fix it by turning a screw on the firewall side of the throttle body
Old 10-05-2004, 12:08 AM
IVI
Honda-Tech Member

screw the idle screw all the way in with the intake off and see if it stalls your car. your butterfly valve might be bent slightly.

get a new iat and see if that takes care of anything. a bunch of little problems can make a big problem such as the one your having now.

fix everything thats broken first then start troubleshooting.

Old 10-05-2004, 01:13 AM

Default Re: Diagnose my idle problem! (IVI)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BrokeAssWhiteboy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">on mine, same engine different chassis, i had the same prob, one of the local shops was able to fix it by turning a screw on the firewall side of the throttle body</TD></TR></TABLE>

interesting...... ill look into that

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IVI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">screw the idle screw all the way in with the intake off and see if it stalls your car. your butterfly valve might be bent slightly.

get a new iat and see if that takes care of anything. a bunch of little problems can make a big problem such as the one your having now.

fix everything thats broken first then start troubleshooting.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

ok now i feel kind of stupid, but where is the idle screw?? the only one i know of is covered in wax so that it cant be tampered with. i just ordered the new IAT and im hoping that when I put it on it will fix it but im just trying to get some responses to see if there are any other posibilities for the idle problem.
Old 10-05-2004, 01:18 AM
IVI
Honda-Tech Member

no reason to feel stupid.

it probably has been covered in wax to prevent it from moving if its loose.

its not a direct picture but if you look right at the top if the throttle body opening were a clock at the 12 o'clock position there is a golden colored slotted screw there. thats to adjust the idle.

i hope you didnt buy a new iat.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Diagnose my idle problem! (not IACV, FITV, no vaccum leaks)