Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Devil Car ('95 LX 1.5L Sedan)

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 06:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Devil Car ('95 LX 1.5L Sedan)

A couple of months ago my sig. other bought a 95 LX for a great deal (ha ha ha)... except that it's not running now.
After a week the rad blew (while she was driving on the highway, no less), so I replaced it. Had some really mild overheating probs for a bit afterwards, but they worked themselves out so I'm assuming I didn't drain enough of the air and it just took some time to circulate out.
Now the car isn't starting - I moved it out of our driveway one morning a couple weeks ago, the went to move it back that night but it wouldn't turn over. Ran some tests. Found that the alt was dead. Sweet. Replace the alt. Same thing. Engine cranks but doesn't catch. I know air isn't a problem, so I figured spark or fuel. Fuel pump was working, and I could smell gas in the chambers (not to mention the bottom of the plugs were soaked in it), so I figured fuel wasn't problem.
Replaced the plugs, the wires, the cap and the rotor. Nothin.
Rip apart the dizzy a little more. I did some more checks and power to the igniter wasn't reading properly (as compared to Haynes and to my car). I threw my igniter on her car. Car REALLY didn't want to run, but after about ten seconds of holding the ignition on and my foot on the gas it finally turned over. Killed the car, started the car, rinse, wash repeat about 5 times over about 15 minutes. Great. Car runs.
Go to start it 2 hours later. Car's dead.
Take her igniter. Put it in my car. Her igniter's fine.
I go to try to her car one more time, and I noticed the fuel pump no longer primes.
Rip apart the back seat. Pull the main relay, jump the connector, test for voltage in the rear. Voltage is fine, pump runs. Great.
Put her relay in my car. It runs. Put my relay in her car. Nothing. Switch them back. My relay still runs.
So long story short.... ECU??
I've checked grounds and fuses, all are fine. I am getting an engine code now that I didn't when it started those last times (16, for Fuel Injectors, but is the code for the injectors specifically or for the entire fuel system? And if it's the injectors, why is the pump not priming?).
Any help would be appreciated, I'm starting to run out of ideas and oddly enough don't have an extra ECU laying around (but I read on another thread that occasionally caps go on them, so if that's all it is I can fix that assuming I can find it somehow).

HELP!!!!!

(The car is red. Now I know why.)

PS My ECU is chipped... can I map a program for the D15B7 or whatever it is and throw my ECU in it?

Thanks for replies in advance.
Old 03-15-2008, 07:39 PM

Default Re: Devil Car (Saige)

dude.... its saturday night and i've been drinking.... keep it short and sweet.
Old 03-15-2008, 07:44 PM

Default Re: Devil Car (nicks-eg6)

have you checked your timing??? because it seems you only focus on certain spots of your car. timing could be off ( when you reattached your dizzy), you could have saturated your spark plugs again. i dont know just throwing ideas out there
Old 03-15-2008, 07:51 PM

Tx for the reply.

I should have been more specific - didn't pull the actual distributor off, just the cap, rotor, ignitor and coil. Timing shouldn't be an issue... plus the symptoms that I'm experiencing are the EXACT same as when it didn't start the first time, when timing couldn't have been an issue.

Plugs might be saturated, but shouldn't the car still start? And they wouldn't have been saturated 2 hours after I did get it to run that time.

I'm kinda ready to get the sledgehammer out... Actually I almost just wanna put another cheap D in it (might as well do a Z6) but I'm not sure at this point that it'd fix anything
Old 03-15-2008, 07:54 PM

Default Re: (Saige)

i had to pull the plugs out and let them dry for a few hours. is your battery ok?
Old 03-15-2008, 07:55 PM

Take your battery into like Batteries Plus or auto parts store and have them check it out. Sometimes the weirdest things turn into the battery as the problem. I have toasted a couple yellow top Optimas in the last few years. Even though sometimes on a multimeter they check but once put under load they fail. Both times I thought it was different **** like coil or something, but...
Old 03-15-2008, 09:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Endo-land)

could be that you have put the spark plug wires on wrong? different order? check that...that could be it...gl
Old 03-15-2008, 11:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (ek4_b16a)

Old 03-15-2008, 11:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

heh

most people don't give enough info.
then others...too much.

there's a sweet balance to getting your questions resolved...listen to colin powell