Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Detachable Steering Wheel - Quick Realease - Turning Signal Problem...HELP

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 07:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Detachable Steering Wheel - Quick Realease - Turning Signal Problem...HELP

when i first threw my wheel on my EG, i didnt wire my horn button and my signal cancelation worked fine...drove it like that for a while...not that long ago, i wired my horn button and now the signal cancelation doesnt work...how do you guys fix this???i still have that White disc that does the canceling but for some reason it doesnt do it anymore...how do you guys fix this problem???in the pic below, you can see the white disc im talkin about...its the small, blurry disc...not the one on the short hub...thats the same NRG short hub i have too btw if that matters...this is not a pic of my quick realease...was found on another thread

i've posted this in the Steering Wheel Thread that on the AP/CO forum since i notice alot of people had the same problem but no one seems to reply when they ask on how to fix...so i posted it here to see if i have better results..

Modified by B18CivicEg at 8:19 AM 1/16/2007
Old 01-16-2007, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Detachable Steering Wheel - Quick Realease - Turning Signal Problem...HELP (B18CivicEg)

well not sure how your hub looks like, but it should have two holes for the signaling cancellation to work properly which also means you have the srs reel attached to the hub aswell. so if your missing the srs reel i really dont see how your signal cancellation can take place? so in other words no srs reel no cancellation, and its been cancelling off by centrifical force as you turn the wheel.

:more info on what you actually have:
Old 01-16-2007, 07:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Detachable Steering Wheel - Quick Realease - Turning Signal Problem...HELP (cxSHOE)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cxSHOE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well not sure how your hub looks like, but it should have two holes for the signaling cancellation to work properly which also means you have the srs reel attached to the hub aswell. so if your missing the srs reel i really dont see how your signal cancellation can take place? so in other words no srs reel no cancellation, and its been cancelling off by centrifical force as you turn the wheel.

:more info on what you actually have:</TD></TR></TABLE>

well..i have the NRG short hub as stated above...dont think the type of wheels matters but i have some Bride wheel i picked up on ebay...with a Quick release...anyway...when i first threw my wheel on, i remove the SRS Reel and it was working good....i had that wheel for about 6 months and everything was working fine EXCEPT the horn...and a few weeks ago, i wired up my horn and now i have to cancel the turn signal manually....even though i put everything back on the way i took it off...i dont get how it was working before and not now and all i did was run the Positive Horn wire to my hub...
Old 01-16-2007, 08:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Detachable Steering Wheel - Quick Realease - Turning Signal Problem...HELP (B18CivicEg)

ok yea im not sure why it was cancelling in the first place because inorder for it to cancel in a turn you have to keep the srs reel on the car. this is because the reel is what cancels the turn signal.

this is basically the whole pro and con of an aftermarket steering wheel. unless you have a HKB hub which incorporates the srs reel to let the turn signals cancel properly and also takes care of the srs light aswell.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Detachable Steering Wheel - Quick Realease - Turning Signal Problem...HELP (cxSHOE)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cxSHOE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok yea im not sure why it was cancelling in the first place because inorder for it to cancel in a turn you have to keep the srs reel on the car. this is because the reel is what cancels the turn signal.

this is basically the whole pro and con of an aftermarket steering wheel. unless you have a HKB hub which incorporates the srs reel to let the turn signals cancel properly and also takes care of the srs light aswell.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i have a boss hub and splitz quick release with no srs reel and my turn signal cancellation still works
Old 01-16-2007, 08:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Detachable Steering Wheel - Quick Realease - Turning Signal Problem...HELP (2coupes)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2coupes &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i have a boss hub and splitz quick release with no srs reel and my turn signal cancellation still works</TD></TR></TABLE>

is your boss hub makin contact with that White disc i mention and pictured above??
Old 01-16-2007, 08:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18CivicEg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">is your boss hub makin contact with that White disc i mention and pictured above??</TD></TR></TABLE>

i don't have any white disc that you speak of
Old 01-16-2007, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Detachable Steering Wheel - Quick Realease - Turning Signal Problem...HELP (2coupes)

hum...well, you prob dont see it since the covers are on...anyway...imma try to see if i can figure this out later on tonight or tomorrow...maybe i can get more input from others by then...thanks..
Old 01-16-2007, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2coupes &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i have a boss hub and splitz quick release with no srs reel and my turn signal cancellation still works</TD></TR></TABLE>

what part of the boss hits the trigger to cancel the turn signal? if you remember...
Old 01-16-2007, 01:15 PM
HT White Ops

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cxSHOE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

what part of the boss hits the trigger to cancel the turn signal? if you remember...</TD></TR></TABLE>

On the boss, there should be two notches. The tabs on the signal cancellation need to fit into those notches, so the cancel switch can actually turn.
Old 01-16-2007, 11:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Detachable Steering Wheel - Quick Realease - Turning Signal Problem...HELP (Eran)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eran &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

On the boss, there should be two notches. The tabs on the signal cancellation need to fit into those notches, so the cancel switch can actually turn.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yea i know that but arent the two attachments on the srs reel? so removing the reel wont make the signals cancel. (this is what i stated up above) 2coupes says he doesnt have the reel and it cancels???
Old 01-17-2007, 12:27 AM
HT White Ops

The reel does not dictate signal cancel. The SRS reel is for three things:

1) SRS
2) Horn
3) Cruise Control

The combination switch is what dictates signal and signal cancel. You can actually activate a signal cancel with your bare hands. Press the center section in, turn your signal on, and turn the center piece in the direction you "signaled" till you feel it click, then turn it back, and it'll cancel. The center piece should turn freely.

If you can't do it by hand, or it's extremely stiff, then that may be the culprit. I have two working 6th gen combination switches in my garage that the cancel no longer works on because the center part is, more or less, stuck.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Eran)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eran &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The combination switch is what dictates signal and signal cancel.</TD></TR></TABLE>
combination switch, is that the name of that white disc??
Old 01-17-2007, 12:31 AM
HT White Ops

Default Re: (B18CivicEg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18CivicEg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
combination switch, is that the name of that white disc??</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, that's the signal cancel. The combination switch is the entire blinker/headlamp/wiper switch.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eran &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

No, that's the signal cancel. The combination switch is the entire blinker/headlamp/wiper switch.</TD></TR></TABLE>

ok...so does the signal cancel "disc" need to be seated at a certain degree to work??cause it worked before i wired my horn and now that i wired it, it doesnt...i dont mind cancelling it manually but i rather have it doesn by itself..it can get annoying after a while...
Old 01-17-2007, 12:40 AM
HT White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18CivicEg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

ok...so does the signal cancel "disc" need to be seated at a certain degree to work??cause it worked before i wired my horn and now that i wired it, it doesnt...i dont mind cancelling it manually but i rather have it doesn by itself..it can get annoying after a while...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, a quick test is if you can cancel it manually with the wheel off. If the disc "sticks" down and doesn't spring back, or is really difficult to turn, then there's a problem. Like I said, I have two broken ones sitting on a shelf in my garage.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well...imma check it out tomorrow...just like the signal cancel sits under the srs reel, is there anything that sits under the signal cancel disk???just want to make sure i didnt drop anything when wiring my horn..
Old 01-17-2007, 12:48 AM
HT White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18CivicEg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well...imma check it out tomorrow...just like the signal cancel sits under the srs reel, is there anything that sits under the signal cancel disk???just want to make sure i didnt drop anything when wiring my horn..</TD></TR></TABLE>

Nope, it's hollow and has a spring in it that's pinched between the combination switch and the disc. Without taking the disc out completely, it'd be impossible to lose the spring. If it is stuck, you could try removing the disc, and cleaning out all the old lubrication, and replace it with some urea grease.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

wait, so there;s a spring between the signal cancel and the short hub???i might be missing that..
Old 01-17-2007, 12:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

nvr mnd..i'll take a look at it tomorrow to see what your talking about...thanks alot..
Old 01-17-2007, 12:55 AM
HT White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18CivicEg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wait, so there;s a spring between the signal cancel and the short hub???i might be missing that..</TD></TR></TABLE>

*sigh*

No. The spring is IN the signal cancel. Unless you disassembled your entire combination switch and took the cancel disc out of it, and threw the giant spring away, then you're not missing it.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

f'sho..i'll just take a look tomorrow and see whats making not work...thanks...
Old 01-17-2007, 12:59 AM
HT White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18CivicEg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">f'sho..i'll just take a look tomorrow and see whats making not work...thanks...</TD></TR></TABLE>

No-problem.
Old 01-17-2007, 04:39 AM

good luck bro!
Old 01-18-2007, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Same thing happend to me on my EK. Did exactly what these guys are telling you and it works again.

Quick Reply: Detachable Steering Wheel - Quick Realease - Turning Signal Problem...HELP