Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Depressing Engine noises

Old 10-11-2004, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Depressing Engine noises

Well I just had my car towed from the school parking lot and now im sitting here pondering how much cash im gonna have to dish out.

For like the last 2 weeks I thought I had a heat shield rattling so I ignored it, well it seems it was much much worse.

On my way to school I had horrible power loss like i wasnt running on all 4 cylinders. Bout a mile from school i started stalling while rolling, and the knocking/rattle got super loud. Now it hardly runs. It will start but its loud and feels like im driving a battery powered moped over those sleep strips on the side of the road. I was thinking I need to have my valves adjusted but Im wondering if there could be something else wrong, what would cause my valves to just **** up? Im lost and very agitated, any help would be nice cause im gonna phdts and part it out.

Its a 98 ex with a dx tranny stock
Old 10-11-2004, 03:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thats how my dx motor was before it kicked the bucket, did you keep up with maitence?
Old 10-11-2004, 03:28 PM

Default Re: (Shaun)

hey man idk where u live but if u have can find something called LUCAS fuel treatment it might help u, i put it in my car when i was missfiring and it never happend again, ive heard of people's cars being 'magically fixed' constintly from it so idk its worth a cheap shot! my friends work 'shell gas station' used to put it in the cars that had **** wrong with them and then they'ed say they fixed them lol!
Old 10-11-2004, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (gobblebox59)

Well i went on a 5000 mile road trip a few months ago and didnt change the oil b4 we left so im thinking that might be part of the problem,(Changed it when we got back) the oil was dark but not black, but i open the oil cap and smoke comes out, not alot, but enough to worry me. and that sound is definatly the valves. Can someone guesstimate the repair cost, or should i scrap the motor and get a used one, keep in mind that im broke so the cheaper the better.
Old 10-11-2004, 03:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (gobblebox59)

or some seafoam
Old 10-11-2004, 03:53 PM

Default Re: (spyderracing32)

well i think you are burning oil then, my dx does that and also smoke comes out the exhaust when i get in the redline. So I think my rings are going, but i am going to make it last before i can afford a swap. So your rings are prolly bad to if when you open the oil fill cap smoke comes out.
Old 10-11-2004, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (civiccpedx)

Anybody have anything else, im hoping its just the valves so i can get it fixed cheap. If not then this car will be in the marketplace parted out. HAHA
Old 10-11-2004, 06:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (jdogg172)

i had similar symtoms when my valves were bent.

and i heard what i thought was a bolt rattliong somewhere, but it was actually pinging. I had my timing way too advanced.
Old 10-11-2004, 06:51 PM

Default Re: (jdogg172)

I don't know how comfortable you are with your car but I would check the engine timing to make sure it didn't jump a couple of teeth, check the ignition timing, try some lucas oil, fuel system cleaner, pull the cap and check for carbon tracking, pull the plugs and make sure none of them are fouled. That would at least be a start, and something to think about other than scapping the car
Old 10-11-2004, 07:29 PM

Default Re: (dogfood) Depressing engine noises

Sounds like ya got yer know on, my 95 DX has had a bottom end nock for over 2.5 years goes away after wrm-up and every year when it gets cold the engine dies immediately after start-up does this 4 or 5 times and never shows again until next season. Car is bone stock w/300k + no smoke no oil consumption and still gettin 24mpg and compression is also good any ideas?
Old 10-11-2004, 08:04 PM

Default Re: (dogfood) Depressing engine noises (snowshooz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by snowshooz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sounds like ya got yer know on, my 95 DX has had a bottom end nock for over 2.5 years goes away after wrm-up and every year when it gets cold the engine dies immediately after start-up does this 4 or 5 times and never shows again until next season. Car is bone stock w/300k + no smoke no oil consumption and still gettin 24mpg and compression is also good any ideas?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Rod bearing(s) are going.
Old 10-11-2004, 08:23 PM

Default Re: (Dyzee)

I have access to oil analysis from my job and there is no bearing mat'l in the sample. Crank end play is O.K. could it be water pump, idler oil pump. Ive always believed that bearing knocks dont go away doesnt knock under hard acceleration and doesnt knock during the suumer.
Old 10-11-2004, 09:01 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (dogfood) Depressing engine noises (snowshooz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by snowshooz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sounds like ya got yer know on, my 95 DX has had a bottom end nock for over 2.5 years goes away after wrm-up and every year when it gets cold the engine dies immediately after start-up does this 4 or 5 times and never shows again until next season. Car is bone stock w/300k + no smoke no oil consumption and still gettin 24mpg and compression is also good any ideas?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, that's a classic rod bearing description there. Honda engines are well built, though, so it's quite possible that with the correct maintainance you could ride out a knock like that for a long *** time.

As to the originator of the post, it sounds like some bottom end trouble to me. Perhaps also a rod bearing or maybe a wrist pin has decided to commit suicide. If you suddenly felt like you were running on less than all cylinders, you probably were doing just that .

Get another engine and you can diagnose the cause of death on the oringinal one at your leisure .