Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Depo foglights install help.

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2006, 12:50 PM
Imperious: Mod of Valor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Depo foglights install help.

I recently purchased a brand new set of Depo foglights from JDMSh!t.com. I recieved the foglights and began to install them. I used this write up composed by JDMlyfestyle: http://www.jdmlyfestyle.com/De...l.htm.

When it came time to turn them on, I turned on my lights and pressed the switch. The switch lit up and then I heard a popping noise (similar to what a fuse would make when it gets blown). The foglights did not turn on. I checked the inline fuse that was with the wiring and it was still intact.

I took a test light to the foglight plugs (wires that connect to the foglight it self) and both the grounding wire and the power wire lit up and the relay made a fast clicking noise. I assumed I had blown the relay. I went and purchased another one of the same amperage and volts and the same problem happened.

Also, my battery would die VERY fast when I would do this. I maybe worked on this for 10 minutes today and turned the switch on/off probably a total of 5 minutes and my battery was complete dead when I went to start my car.

Now, I know when I put the test light to the foglight plug only one (the power wire) is suppose to light up. Why is the grounding one lighting up? I followed that write up to a T. I also changed the bulbs out with 55w yellow bulbs.

I tested the foglights directly to my battery and they worked. What else can it be? Thanks.
Old 03-11-2006, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Depo foglights install help. (JDM-EJ1)

Had a similar problem with my Depot fogs too but for my EJ8. My problem was that when I was attaching the wiring harness to the body with the suppled clips I must have pulled the wires from the back of the fog lights themselves. I took the fog light backing plate and re-attached the the two wires I believe they were black/white, then everything was OK!
Old 03-11-2006, 03:03 PM

Default Re: Depo foglights install help. (patdow1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by patdow1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Had a similar problem with my Depot fogs too but for my EJ8. My problem was that when I was attaching the wiring harness to the body with the suppled clips I must have pulled the wires from the back of the fog lights themselves. I took the fog light backing plate and re-attached the the two wires I believe they were black/white, then everything was OK! </TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you're trying to say.

Every wire is connected within the harness, to the foglights, to the car, to the battery, to the fuse panel, etc.
Old 03-11-2006, 03:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I will try to explain a little better, by using the link that you provided as a reference.
http://www.jdmlyfestyle.com/De...l.htm
Take a look at the last photo in Step 6, you will notice a black wire that has a white connector clipped to the bottom of the foglight, that is the wire that I'm referring to that actually separated from the bulbs themselves. I never would of thought that this was the problem but I started diagnosing the problem from the bulb all the way to the switch located in the car. I was fortunate that my problem was a set of miswired/unattached wires (black/white) to the bulbs themselves. Give it a glance over it could be your problem. Good Luck!

Modified by patdow1 at 5:17 PM 3/11/2006
Old 03-11-2006, 11:21 PM

When I tried the fog lights directly to my battery they worked. So, I don't think it's that.. Anyone else?
Old 03-12-2006, 10:50 AM

Anyone else?
Old 03-12-2006, 03:35 PM

Someone must know.
Old 03-12-2006, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sounds like a grounding prob, or your switch. try the switch from your defroster.

Where were you grounding the test light? They shouldn't both light up . Maybe the hot wire inside the clip poped out and is touching the ground. unplug it a double check. the relay is not bad if its poping..
Old 03-12-2006, 05:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Depo foglights install help. (JALOP B16)

Check the clip under dash maybe no power.
Old 03-12-2006, 07:18 PM

Default Re: Depo foglights install help. (JALOP B16)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JALOP B16 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Check the clip under dash maybe no power. </TD></TR></TABLE>

The switch is lighting up, so it is plugged into the proper port in my fuse box. The new relay does make a clicking noise when I'm using a test light.

I'll try checking the wires tomorrow.
Old 03-12-2006, 10:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Possibly the metal bracket holding the foglights is touching the body behind the bumper cover. Try covering the brackets with electrical tape and see what happens.
Old 03-14-2006, 11:14 AM

Default Re: Depo foglights install help. (Outrun)

I'm testing the foglights when the bump is on the ground and the wires being extended from the chassi. I don't think this is it.

It's something that when I use the test light.. Both the ground and positive wire light up. If I can find out what's causing that, I know I can fix it.