Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

DEPO Foglight Questions (owners of DEPO foglights, HELP)

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 05:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DEPO Foglight Questions (owners of DEPO foglights, HELP)

I finished the installation guys... here's how it turned out (note: I threw in alil AMBER for you guys

(original text)
i have a set of DEPO OEM Style Fog lights for a '95 Civic Hatchback but the instructions included were a bit vague... i looked at the instructions on HondaAutomotives but its' parts seem to differ from the parts that come in the DEPO box... is it possible that I have a defected item or am I just not seeing everything.... (HondaAutomotives talk about a 2-seven pin connector which my switch harness doesn't have....) Any one installed DEPO fog lights into their cars before? in need of some advice...thanks.

Modified by JHU EH2 at 7:16 PM 3/12/2005
Old 03-11-2005, 06:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DEPO Foglight Questions (JHU EH2)

The harness will route bhind the bumper; there will be a connection for a relay that goes on the passenger side, and a power wire that goes to the battery. The other side of the harness routes through the driver side. There is a smaller harness that goes under the steering column, I plugged mine into the slot numbered "2" in the fuse panel, this harness will also connect to the fog light button, and also be connected to the longer engine bay harness.

Does that help at all?
Old 03-11-2005, 06:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HondaAutomotive details how to install the compeltely OEM fog light set up which routes into the steering column through the headlight wiring.

My foglight set up is similar, but different. Upon entering the firewall inside the car, there are only 3 connection. 1 to fuse box, 1 to ground, 1 to button. If that's how yours is, let me know. I have PLENTY of picture and installation info.
Old 03-11-2005, 07:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DEPO Foglight Questions (Daishi)

yeah, i forgot to include the ground in my last post
Old 03-11-2005, 08:19 AM

exactly what dj said...
Old 03-11-2005, 04:36 PM

Default Re: (orientalgunz_00)

thanks... daishi you got PM
Old 03-12-2005, 12:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JHU EH2)

bare with me here, i'll probably call things improper names and make lots of retard *** comments, cuz I'm a moron, don't know all too much about wiring, but my fog lights work and I know how.

The kit I bought from a guy was cut right from the power source, so the wiring, FROM the beginning (power source) goes like this

----------

power source (battery for me) ---> inline fuse ---> relay ---> passenger side foglight ---> driver side foglight ---> ground on frame ---> [ through firewall connection ] ---> split into 3 (button, ground, fuse box)

----------

starts at battery

fuse and relay (i replaced my relay with one from Honda when mine went bad)

2 of these for both fog lights.

ground on frame. mine now has the area around ground sanded down with star washer, better for grounding.

the splits, has connection where you are supposed to run through firewall.

runs through firewall (shown without grommet)

ground under dash (mine is under bolt and nut that area on a flange of metal directly to frame. not perfect, close enough.)

connection in fuse box (explained down below)

the other part should run up and connect to switch and you should be good to go. the most confusing thing for me was the connection into the fuse box under the dash. there's really 2 places that are ideal for it.

mine ORIGINALLY were in spot 'E' on that diagram, which woul allow the circuit to work when ACC or RUN were activated, AKA, only when the car was on. With the fuse box connection in this place, the button for foglights would turn them on and off BY THEMSELVES without any other lighting or electrical interfering, AS LONG as the car was on.

I know have them in spot D. D is hot when the parking lights and headlights are on, meaning power on flows when the lights are on.

Basically, I leave my foglight button pressed in at all times, the foglights automatically turn on when I turn driving lights or headlights on. Simple and easy.

----------

hope this helped you out a bit. if you need clarifcation or more info, let me know.
Old 03-12-2005, 12:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^^^ i got a retarded question...when you leave your foglight button pressed in at all times, even with the car off, it doesnt drink up battery power?

this looks so confusing sincei m not so good at wiring components...and i have a set of depo fogs coming in monday...im screwed lol
Old 03-12-2005, 09:25 AM

Default Re: DEPO Foglight Questions (eJone powereD)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eJone powereD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">^^^ i got a retarded question...when you leave your foglight button pressed in at all times, even with the car off, it doesnt drink up battery power?

this looks so confusing sincei m not so good at wiring components...and i have a set of depo fogs coming in monday...im screwed lol </TD></TR></TABLE>

you're in the same boat as i am... I'm going to try and install mine today....
Old 03-12-2005, 09:50 AM

you dont need the 7 pin connector that plugs into your lighting for the fogs to work. All that 7 pin connector does its taps into your headlights so thety turn on with the low beams and off with the high.
Old 03-12-2005, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DEPO Foglight Questions (1992HB)

The USDM/JDM real kits have a lot more wiring don't they?

And as for draining battery power, I leave the button on at all times and have for like 9 months, and have yet to experience any battery problems at all, so I'm assuming no, it doesn't drain power. They don't turn on unless headlights are turned on, so i'm thinking the gate is closed when lights are off, therefore not sucking power out of battery.
Old 03-12-2005, 01:52 PM

Default Re: DEPO Foglight Questions (Daishi)

I installed the kit... foglights connected.... i press the switch.. but the lights dont turn on... i hear a clicking noise, however, as if something was being turned on and off.. but lights dont come on.... what could be wrong?
Old 03-12-2005, 01:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JHU EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I installed the kit... foglights connected.... i press the switch.. but the lights dont turn on... i hear a clicking noise, however, as if something was being turned on and off.. but lights dont come on.... what could be wrong?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Did you run the red wire to the positive on the battery? I helped my buddy install them on his eg and that was the problem. The included manual said to ground that wire.. but it was really supposed to go to the battery.
Old 03-12-2005, 01:58 PM

Default Re: DEPO Foglight Questions (chowmien)

hmmm.... yeah im betting that is... well let me go fix that up and get back to this... thanks
Old 03-12-2005, 02:00 PM
As long as I dont have to take out any more Metal Gears

good info I have the DEPO EK fog light kit on my car, and was wondering how to get the fogs to just be able to turn on with the lights. Right now i have it in the wrong slot, so it can stay on even after the car has been turned off.
Old 03-12-2005, 02:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DEPO Foglight Questions (rukawa1one)

sweet info...thanks guys

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JHU EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hmmm.... yeah im betting that is... well let me go fix that up and get back to this... thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>

did you figure out why the lights werent lighting up yet?

let me know how the installation was
Old 03-12-2005, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Why so you can pretend like youre interested, FL/OK

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eJone powereD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">^^^ i got a retarded question...when you leave your foglight button pressed in at all times, even with the car off, it doesnt drink up battery power?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

No. An accesory can and will only draw power from a source when it is in use. As far as that switch though, the only thing drawing power from a source, and this is only a couple of volts, is the green light indicating it is ready for use. And of course that green light is only going to be on when the car is on. Now yes, once you turn the headlights on, it starts to draw power because the actual fog light accessory is in use.
Old 03-12-2005, 02:34 PM

Default Re: DEPO Foglight Questions (INVALID)

You people struggle at wiring. Write it down on a piece of paper and look at it. Hell, if you have a diagram, copy it over onto a few sheets of paper by hand, hopefully by that time you'll have at least memorized some of the wiring and perhaps even figured out what it does.
Old 03-12-2005, 03:09 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eJone powereD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
did you figure out why the lights werent lighting up yet?

let me know how the installation was </TD></TR></TABLE>

I finished the installation... chowmien was right, all i had to do was wire the ground to the positive battery instead of the car's ground terminal.... chowmien.... I finished cleaning up and everything... come upstairs to rest and the doorbell rings.... my H3 yellow bulbs came... guess i have to go back and switch them now... but overall, it was much easier with pictures and H-T members helping, rather than in accurate and unclear instructions... thanks all!
Old 03-12-2005, 03:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

good ****...i guess ima use this thread for reference...where'd you get your yellow h3 bulbs at and how much?
Old 03-12-2005, 04:51 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eJone powereD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">good ****...i guess ima use this thread for reference...where'd you get your yellow h3 bulbs at and how much?</TD></TR></TABLE>

29.95 shipped from luminicsbulbs.com ... i didnt want to pay too much for PIAA stuff.... so i settled for less... still looks good though....
Old 03-12-2005, 06:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Why so you can pretend like youre interested, FL/OK
Default Re: DEPO Foglight Questions (jlacoy82)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jlacoy82 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You people struggle at wiring. Write it down on a piece of paper and look at it. Hell, if you have a diagram, copy it over onto a few sheets of paper by hand, hopefully by that time you'll have at least memorized some of the wiring and perhaps even figured out what it does.</TD></TR></TABLE>

After your overinflated head deflates and you make your descent back to earth, you'll realize you're far from a god. No one person is good at everything.
Old 03-12-2005, 06:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DEPO Foglight Questions (INVALID)

outcome looks good man...i hope i wont struggle with anything lol

my cluster looks exactly the same...and your car is the same color as mine too...i think

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by INVALID &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

After your overinflated head deflates and you make your descent back to earth, you'll realize you're far from a god. No one person is good at everything. </TD></TR></TABLE>

seriously...exactly what i was thinking
Old 03-12-2005, 06:26 PM

http://www.the12volt.com/
http://www.google.com/search?h...ights
http://www.classictruckshop.co...s.htm
http://members.aol.com/agspeed/piaa.htm
http://www.ae92gts.com/images/auxlamp_wiring.gif
http://www.the12volt.com/insta...&PN=1

Modified by jlacoy82 at 10:37 PM 3/12/2005
Old 03-12-2005, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JHU EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I finished the installation... chowmien was right, all i had to do was wire the ground to the positive battery instead of the car's ground terminal.... chowmien.... I finished cleaning up and everything... come upstairs to rest and the doorbell rings.... my H3 yellow bulbs came... guess i have to go back and switch them now... but overall, it was much easier with pictures and H-T members helping, rather than in accurate and unclear instructions... thanks all!</TD></TR></TABLE>

No problem. I've seen many people here on h-t have the same problem with the depo's so just trying to help out. The fogs look great.

Quick Reply: DEPO Foglight Questions (owners of DEPO foglights, HELP)