Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Depo foglight kit install problem. Or, I'm an idiot. please help.

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2004, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Depo foglight kit install problem. Or, I'm an idiot. please help.

(I have a 95 Civic EX Coupe, fyi)

So I go out like 2 HOURS ago to install this kit with the helpful instructions supplied by a member here, since my kit didn't HAVE any (from procarparts.com) in the box.

http://www.hondaautomotivepart....html

ANyhow, I take my lip off and the steeting column parts in a flash and put in the new fog switch first. I then get to this:

After staring at this for quite awhile and trying to find the connectors its referring to in the car, and the instructions I got online picture a much more complicated harness, I believe that Ive came to the conclusion that I'm missing a 7 pin pass-through type connector of some sort,

This is the light harness and the lights:

This is a power wire, (I assume) with two simple push in connectors:

This is the end of the harness that plugs into the back of the foglight switch:

Can someone clue me in now, am I an idiot, or what am I missing.

Old 09-19-2004, 05:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Why so you can pretend like youre interested, FL/OK
Default Re: Depo foglight kit install problem. Or, I'm an idiot. please help. (Erod)

Looking over everything for a few moments then switching back and forth between the pictures made me realize you suck at taking pictures! Where is the picture with EVERYTHING together to make this simple... okay, it looks as if you are missing the plug that connects into the fuse box.
Old 09-19-2004, 06:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Depo foglight kit install problem. Or, I'm an idiot. please help. (INVALID)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by INVALID &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Looking over everything for a few moments then switching back and forth between the pictures made me realize you suck at taking pictures! Where is the picture with EVERYTHING together to make this simple... okay, it looks as if you are missing the plug that connects into the fuse box. </TD></TR></TABLE>

No I don't! There's no naked chick around, thats why I don't care about picture quality!

I figured it out anyhow, I was led to believe the Depo kit was EXACTLY the same as the OEM one, harness and all. Of course, I know now its not. I've got it working fine now, thanks for the reply tho.

Old 09-19-2004, 06:39 AM

Default Re: Depo foglight kit install problem. Or, I'm an idiot. please help. (Erod)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Erod &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Re: Depo foglight kit install problem. Or, I'm an idiot. please help.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I just wanted to say that I thought this was a great subject line.
Old 09-19-2004, 07:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Depo foglight kit install problem. Or, I'm an idiot. please help. (mct121)

Hate annoying ones like, "FOG INSSTAL PROBELM! HELP ME NOW!"

lol

Old 09-19-2004, 07:32 AM

Well for one you have the wrong instructions. That one "brown" connector goes into the inside of the car through the plug near the battery and then bring it behind the radio and into the fuse box near your left leg (as if you were driving) pull down that thing that tells you all the fuses and there should be 3 or 4 places to plug it in. I cant remember which one it was, but one of those you plug it in to. The long red one with the fuse on it connects directly to the battery. Damn, I cant really remember to much right now. But I am pretty sure you have the wrong instructions. Let me do a search for the right ones.
Old 09-19-2004, 07:39 AM

Default Re: Depo foglight kit install problem. Or, I'm an idiot. please help. (2manycars2choose)

Ok.. I found this... But this is the way I did it..

ok i just did this last weekend.

on the main wire there's two plugs that goes to the fog lights.

on one side of the harness there should be a relay and a fuse with a red wire which should lead to the positive on your battery.

on the other side of the wire there should be a ground and a red plug that should lead to the inside of your car so you can plug it up to the switch.

on the switch you should plug the brown 2 wire connector into slot #2 under your fuse box on your drivers side and the black wire there goes to ground. Plug the red wire to the red wire coming off of your main harness. it should work... geez my writing sucks i guess i'll have to post pics LOL.
Old 09-19-2004, 03:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Depo foglight kit install problem. Or, I'm an idiot. please help. (2manycars2choose)

Cool cool. Thanks.

Old 09-23-2004, 04:49 PM

ok i am having the same problem. only differece is mine is for a 4dr. i followed the above and everything connects ok except for the actual switch. it has a totally different connector on the back of the switch and the left over connector. any help would be great.
Old 09-23-2004, 07:17 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Erod &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">(I have a 95 Civic EX Coupe, fyi)

for the wiring in the below pic: from left to right (following the harness)

red wire with terminal which connects to red wire that runs into cabin
ground wire. best place is using a fender bolt
fog light connector
fog light connector
relay connector (relay is not shown in pic)
inline fuse holder
red wire with round terminal end, connects to the positive battery cable

for the 2nd pic:
connects to the end of the red wire mentioned above, then connects to the dash harness

3rd pic:

red wire with plastic cap connects to red other end of red wire mentioned above.
open ended terminal is ground, easiest point is right above the hood release latch
brown 2 pin connector goes into #2 slot on underdash fuse box (2nd from the right)
other end of this harness plugs into fog switch.

</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 09-23-2004, 08:47 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Depo foglight kit install problem. Or, I'm an idiot. please help. (Mikedog4)

^

Why did you just quote the pictures without typing anything?

Old 09-23-2004, 09:39 PM

well your first mistake is that you have oem wiring diagram instructions for a set of aftermarket fog lights, they are oem style but they are not.
Old 09-23-2004, 09:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Depo foglight kit install problem. Or, I'm an idiot. please help. (1993sir05)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1993sir05 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well your first mistake is that you have oem wiring diagram instructions for a set of aftermarket fog lights, they are oem style but they are not. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I love advertising. "oem style" LOL, way to maniputlate the truth. HA thats great.
Old 09-23-2004, 10:01 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Depo foglight kit install problem. Or, I'm an idiot. please help. (1993sir05)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1993sir05 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well your first mistake is that you have oem wiring diagram instructions for a set of aftermarket fog lights, they are oem style but they are not. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Read his post. His fogs didn't come with instructions. The oem instructions are better than nothing.
Old 09-23-2004, 10:09 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2manycars2choose &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well for one you have the wrong instructions. That one "brown" connector goes into the inside of the car through the plug near the battery and then bring it behind the radio and into the fuse box near your left leg (as if you were driving) pull down that thing that tells you all the fuses and there should be 3 or 4 places to plug it in. I cant remember which one it was, but one of those you plug it in to. The long red one with the fuse on it connects directly to the battery. Damn, I cant really remember to much right now. But I am pretty sure you have the wrong instructions. Let me do a search for the right ones.</TD></TR></TABLE>

There are 5 optional sockets. From left to right... 4, 5, 1, 2, 3.
It goes into option socket # 2. So the foglamps only turn on when at least the parking lights are switched on.
Old 09-24-2004, 02:20 AM

Default Re: Depo foglight kit install problem. Or, I'm an idiot. please help. (Dengar)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dengar &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Read his post. His fogs didn't come with instructions. The oem instructions are better than nothing.</TD></TR></TABLE>

not if they are completely different from the oem style fog light instructions. and in this case they are. read before you respond.
Old 09-24-2004, 04:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Depo foglight kit install problem. Or, I'm an idiot. please help. (Dengar)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dengar &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">^

Why did you just quote the pictures without typing anything?</TD></TR></TABLE>

He did type descriptions of what goes where inside the quotes.

Its all quite clear to me now, thanks much.

I'll post some picts after I get my Circuit 8's on I got in the mail yesterday