Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

IS DENATURE ALCOHOL GOOD TO PASS SMOG CHECK?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 08:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS DENATURE ALCOHOL GOOD TO PASS SMOG CHECK?

I DID A TUNE UP ON MY 93 HATCH AND I PUT A NEW CAT BUT I MODIFIED IT I PUT THE CAT ON THE BOTTOM OF THE CAR CUZ THE CAT THAT BELONGS TO IT IS EXPENSIVE BUT MY EMMISIONS ARE STILL HIGH ON HERE THEY TOLD ME TO TRY SEA FOAM BUT I READ THAT IF U DONT DO IT RIGHT YOU CAN MESS UP UR MOTOR I DONT WNAT TO TAKE THAT RISK AND SOME DUDE ONCE TOLD ME ON HERE THAT BY PUTTIN DENATURE ALCOHOL IN UR GAS TANK AND RUNNING UR CAR FOR 30 MINUTES BEFORE U SMOG IT U COULD PASS THE SMOG BUT IF ANYONE HAS ANY OTHER ADVICE ID REALLY APPRECIATE IT THANKS ONE.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: IS DENATURE ALCOHOL GOOD TO PASS SMOG CHECK? (zipoton)

Turn you damn caps lock off and learn how to write a proper sentence.

I've used Alcohol before and, yes, it did help with smog (Aircare in BC, Canada) but only in one area of the four they test. Unfortunately this didn't help as I was never over in that area. It did lower it to an extremely low level, though.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Whether or not denatured alcohol will do anything towards your benefit depends on what areas of the test you're failing. High in HC, NOx, CO, ... ?
Old 01-15-2008, 09:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

angry typing guy scared me.

you're scared to use sea foam, but not denaturated alcohol? they sell seafoam in an autoparts store to be used, but you're ok with throwing paint remover in your gas tank......seriously? i mean you're serious right?

Old 01-15-2008, 10:05 AM

Default Re: (instrument)

thats why i was asking cuz they told me the alcohol doesnt screw anything up but if u know different drop me the info cuz i dont wanna screw up my engine
Old 01-15-2008, 10:08 AM

Default Re: IS DENATURE ALCOHOL GOOD TO PASS SMOG CHECK? (neocrynym)

CANADIAN DANN IM FROM EAST LOS ANGELES WHICH IS PRACTICALLY A MINI TIJUANA ENGLISH IS MY SECOND LANGUAGE SPANGLISH IS MY FIRST SO I DONT KNOW HOW TO WRTITE A PROPER SENTENCE LOL.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:17 AM

ok instrument what do you know that it affects cuz i lost my smog check paper but if you know what areas does it affect ill look for my paper to see what i tested high in and ill know if to use the alcohol thanks ONE
Old 01-15-2008, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Denatured alcohol (or any alcohol for that matter) is hygroscopic, meaning it absorbs water from its surroundings. This includes any rubber/plastic it comes in contact with for extended time periods, and your car's fuel system has alot of plastic components, rubber hoses, etc.

Long story short, the denatured alcohol you put in your gas tank to pass emissions should be used up as fast as possible, then diluted like crazy by filling up on fresh gas after you pass the test. Keeping the alcohol in the tank/lines for too long can cause damage to your fuel system because it was never designed for the presence of alcohol.
Old 01-15-2008, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by neocrynym &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Denatured alcohol (or any alcohol for that matter) is hygroscopic, meaning it absorbs water from its surroundings. This includes any rubber/plastic it comes in contact with for extended time periods, and your car's fuel system has alot of plastic components, rubber hoses, etc.

Long story short, the denatured alcohol you put in your gas tank to pass emissions should be used up as fast as possible, then diluted like crazy by filling up on fresh gas after you pass the test. Keeping the alcohol in the tank/lines for too long can cause damage to your fuel system because it was never designed for the presence of alcohol.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Also, Seafoam can't damage your engine unless you're stupid and try to empty the entire can in there as fast as possible. That will hydrolock it.
Old 01-15-2008, 05:46 PM

Default Re: IS DENATURE ALCOHOL GOOD TO PASS SMOG CHECK? (ddd4114)

Thanks to everyone for the advice cuz i work on little crap on my car but im not the smartest dude when it comes to cars thanks fo letting me know the effects of the alcohol so ill just fill my tank with gas after i take the smog test by the way 2 more questions how much alcohol do u use? and does replacing an oxygen sensor help to lower ur emissions too? THANKS ONE
Old 01-15-2008, 08:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Put 1 smaller can (not the gallon size) of denatured alcohol in about 1/4 to 1/5 tank of gas, drive the car briskly for about 20 min. (this gets the cat nice and hot AND allows the alcohol to work its way through the system so it can be fully utilized), and go take the test.

A new oxygen sensor will only help if your current one is on the fritz. It won't hurt, let's put it that way.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:57 PM

ok just wanted to say that DDD's sig made me laugh for like 10 minutes straight
Old 01-15-2008, 11:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: IS DENATURE ALCOHOL GOOD TO PASS SMOG CHECK? (jeremyowns18)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jeremyowns18 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok just wanted to say that DDD's sig made me laugh for like 10 minutes straight</TD></TR></TABLE>
haha, you're welcome.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:26 AM

Good looking out NEO will do ONE.