Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/)
-   -   Del Sol Will not turn over (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/del-sol-will-not-turn-over-2745253/)

BlueVxIDelSlo 03-17-2010 03:58 PM

Del Sol Will not turn over

I was driving and my 93 del sol shut off. i tried to start it again, and it turned over, but then it stopped turning over and will not. all the lights and everything turns on when i turn the key on, but when i go to start it, nothing. we replaced the ignition coil, and even tried a diff ignition switch, and still nothing. Please help :(

h22a4_sol 03-17-2010 04:51 PM

Re: Del Sol Will not turn over

take your starter out and connect it straight to a 12v source (battery) and if it kicks out and turns then you know its not your starter now idk how much u know about cars so im going to tell u this about the starter when doing what i just stated there is 2 different plugs on the starter in order for it to kick out and turn you have to jump both of the terminals on starter just to let u know so u dont go and say it kicks out but doesnt turn. just make sure u connect both terminals

devarian 03-17-2010 09:43 PM

i would check to see if the spade connected wire on the starter came off. mine did the same thing

BlueVxIDelSlo 03-18-2010 02:44 AM

alright. i will try those things. thanks guys. it just was wierd that it just shut off...then it would turn over and turn over.. and then stop turning over.

anyone have more ideas as to why?

Eplusz 03-18-2010 04:26 AM

i would think you starter is dead

si_monkey 03-18-2010 06:25 AM

This happened to my girlfriend's DA and the shop said it was an bad distributor. Installed a new one and no problems since.

BlueVxIDelSlo 03-19-2010 02:56 AM

we've changed the coils, the ignition switch, checked all grounds and still nothing. Going to change the ICM today and see what happens.

h22a4_sol 03-19-2010 05:07 PM

wait is the car turning over or is it not still?? cause if it just died on you out of nowhere that means its a big possibility that your alternator went bad and its not turning over cause theres not enough power to turn it over. but if you got power then its starter or distributor.

asianpoet 03-19-2010 08:47 PM

check the voltage on the battery, charge it or whatever/ replace if need be..
also take the time to take out the starter, and get it checked at your local parts store. (Which they can charge your battery.)

I had just finish getting my del sol starter problem fixed. (my starter was intermently getting 12-13 volts, and sometimes it wasnt)

BlueVxIDelSlo 03-20-2010 06:37 AM

the only time the car will turn over is when we connect the positive ands negative on the starter. it turns over and wont start.. but when i turn the key, the lights inn the dash and the fuel pump primes but when i go to start it, there is a clicking sound in the fusebox by the engine bay.. i was going to try and change the distributor today.

BlueVxIDelSlo 03-20-2010 06:40 AM

if the distributor wont work, ill grab an alternator and try that i guess lolz

h22a4_sol 03-20-2010 08:39 AM

if you get a clicking sound you have a dead battery for 1, and 2 the cause of it dying is probably because of the alternator. did you see a battery light on when you were driving and the gauges started going wacko??

portenio78 03-20-2010 08:45 AM

did you try the igniter?

h22a4_sol 03-20-2010 08:58 AM

the igniter would be in the distributor if that was bad it should still turn over try putting some jumper cables to the battery and see if it starts and when you take the cables off the battery if it shuts off its the alternator

2wheelhunter 03-20-2010 12:12 PM

bump for blake!

checked neutal safety switch. nothing wont crank

will crank when bypassed.

BlueVxIDelSlo 03-20-2010 06:43 PM

could it be a short in the wire harness from the wires to the starter? cause we jump the starter and it turns.. but it when we try it with just the key, nothing. so its something. lol

vtecin1990 03-20-2010 06:50 PM

take a clamp on meter and put the hot wire from the harness in it and see if ur getting anything if not there's ur prob

BlueVxIDelSlo 03-21-2010 06:25 AM

i can try that.. i hope its just a burned wire or a ground somewhere. any grounds that are typical to fail or fall off? checked the tranny ground.. battery ground, starter ground, and thermometer ground.. any more?

2wheelhunter 03-21-2010 03:30 PM

ttt

BlueVxIDelSlo 03-23-2010 11:16 AM

anyone else have any ideas?

delsolproblems 03-23-2010 11:31 AM

Try getting a jump from a running vehicle when it won't turn over and see if that helps the starter work.

h22a4_sol 03-23-2010 05:47 PM

someone said earlier it turned over when the neutral safety switch is bypassed. so bypass it and leave it at that till you get another switch

BlueVxIDelSlo 03-23-2010 08:01 PM

it will turn over when we do that, but we are not getting any spark whatsoever i replaced the coil, icm, cap, rotor, fuses, main relay, tried a diff. ecu. nothing. no spark at all so this means?

2wheelhunter 03-23-2010 08:14 PM

ttt for a solution

turbo_eg_b18c1 03-23-2010 08:29 PM

there a switch right above the clutch peddle make a jumper wire and try it mine did that and theres a rubber bushing in there and it falls out and the switch gose rite through the hole and wont start