Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Del Sol Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2004, 08:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Del Sol Turbo

My girlfriend just bought a 93' delsol with the D16Z6. I know that is a good motor to turbo. I have a TE304H turbo. Can anyone recomend a few fuel system up grades? other than the turbo, intercooler, manifold, wastegate, and BOV, everything will be custom. I am currently casting the adapter plate for the manifold to the turbo and then I am also making the down pipe and intercooler piping. and does anyone know what needs to be done to convert from internal wastegate to external?
Old 08-23-2004, 08:30 PM

Default Re: Del Sol Turbo (x1nt3grax)

a D16 good for turbo? that's probably among the worst Honda motors for turbocharging.

Why?
SOHC design limits breathing
Not as strong as B series blocks, esp GSR's
For power, RPM is invaluable, even in turbos. The D16 sucks for that.

For turbo on the cheap, a B18B would be best. Even better is the B18C as that has ALL of the above advantages.

I know that many turbo'd D16s put out what B18s do stock
Old 08-23-2004, 11:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Del Sol Turbo (steven975)

prelude injectors w/ resistor box. 255lph pump (walbro). FPR w/ gauge. chipped p28 (lol, i've never recommended a chipped p28 for a SOHC). hondata s200b. tune.
Old 08-23-2004, 11:27 PM

Default Re: Del Sol Turbo (3.504)

D16 the worst to Boost? Hah, you should take a look at the FI forum sometime.. You'd be REALLY suprised. Honestly, I think the D15 would be the worst to boost because of the toothpick rods but, thats just me.
Old 08-24-2004, 04:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by steven975 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">a D16 good for turbo? that's probably among the worst Honda motors for turbocharging. </TD></TR></TABLE>

wow you my friend are ignorant

there are many d16-t cars on h-t and a few other boards that can hang with or beat B-series turbo cars

one of my friends from hs has one too
Old 08-24-2004, 05:36 AM

i thought this was the integra forum?

but anyway...most SOHC turbo ninjas that I have personally seen have turbo'd the Z6, ive seen about twice as many Z6's as I have Y8's...

you asked up fuel upgrades, you are going to need to upgrade ur fuel injectors(450cc DSM bluetops, RC 440, prelude injectors etc.) will work, you might also want to look into a walboro 255 intank fuel pump as well to get the fuel flowing...with all this extra fuel you will also need something to control it all, hondata uberdata, AEM EMS, crome, greddy emanage..something to tune out ur maps...

and to all arguing about D vs. B series...YES the B series is more potent, much more and MOST turbo'd D series run about what a B series with i/h/e run, they are MANY turbo D's out there that can hang with the best and ive seen some put out some crazy numbers..
Old 08-24-2004, 06:35 AM

Default Re: (lanojp1)

whoa calm down. I know that there are many fast SOHCs out there, but as a platform, the D series is the least potent Honda out there. Lb for Lb of boost, a B series, especially a B18C, would destroy it.

Remember this is his girlfriend's car, not his. I seriously doubt he has the image of a stripped down car with $10K in work. I had the mindset he was thinking a basic turbo, not a fully built block

With a mild (7psi or so) turbo, a D series will be about as fast as a stock B18C.
Old 08-24-2004, 07:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by steven975 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">a D16 good for turbo? that's probably among the worst Honda motors for turbocharging.

Why?
SOHC design limits breathing
Not as strong as B series blocks, esp GSR's
For power, RPM is invaluable, even in turbos. The D16 sucks for that.

For turbo on the cheap, a B18B would be best. Even better is the B18C as that has ALL of the above advantages.

I know that many turbo'd D16s put out what B18s do stock </TD></TR></TABLE>

steven975, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone on this forum is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Anyway, your an idiot. A stock d series with a greddy kit at 5 psi will put out more than a gsr. And 5 psi is ***** ****. D series sleeves can easily hold up the 300 hp to the wheels...the rods are the weak link. 8 psi greddy kit in my 2600 lb car with me in it I went 14.1@100...show me a stock gsr pulling a 100 in the quarter. nuf said.
Old 08-24-2004, 12:17 PM

Default Re: Del Sol Turbo (x1nt3grax)

sohc motors are the cheapest to turbo and if you blow them up they are the cheapest to replace. they can make well over 400 whp with some internal parts. sohc motors are very under rated. for your girl and a Dayle drive have fun and don't let people try to discourage about turboing it!!!!!!!!!

fuel upgrades have Bean covered for you already. but I must say that tuning will make or brake your set up. hondata and other EMS systems are what keeps your car on the road and not broke down or blown up. so don't skimp when it comes time to tune the car because you will end up buying a new motor!
Old 08-24-2004, 06:41 PM

Default Re: Del Sol Turbo (playAho)

Happyman, you are an jerk.

I've never said that to anyone here; you are the first. consider yourself honored.

OK, maybe a lightly turbo'd and TUNED (5psi) D is SLIGHTLY faster than a stock GSR, but likely not one with I/H/E (14.8@94 or so). That was only a sub-point of my whole argument that the D is not as good as the B for turbocharging. Yours may be different, but there definitely are half-*** D series turbos that are NOT as fast as a stock GSR (and I know you know that).

No Rational thought? The D has a disadvantage in RPM, breathing, and strength compared to the B18C. That is a fact. Yes, the D can put up good numbers, but pound for pound, a VTEC with turbo puts out more due to breathing and steady torque at higher RPM (torque at rpm means horsepower). The same GSR with 7-8 pounds is down in the 12's.

I hardly think that what I said before (maybe a slight error, but I stand by my reasoning on the D's disadvantages) hardly calls for saying it is "of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard." I hardly call my posts "anything that could be considered a rational thought."

Why the heck are you so mean? It must be nice hiding behind the anonymity of the web. That means no one can kick the crap out of you for attacking and insulting them for sharing ideas. That is not a threat and do not construe it as anything resembling a threat.

What I said can be true, or what you said could be true. There are always exceptions and conditions. YOU ARE THE ONE who needs to think before going on an all out offensive. And on who is smarter, I'll go head to head with you anyday.
Old 08-24-2004, 06:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Steven, ever watch movies? Possibly an adam sandler movie??

Also how much money do you think his gf wants to spend on it. First you have the 3k for the engine /tranny installed correctly with tune up. Right there you could have a slightly built block and a nice turbo setup. Yes the GSR motor has potential, but then so does a MB V12 engine. It justs depends on how much you spend and how much you really need. Not everyone needs a 400hp+ motor....
Old 08-25-2004, 12:00 AM

Default Re: Del Sol Turbo (coupedup)

ok here is what i have so far, I have a spearco intercooler, I have an HKS B.O.V and wastegate, and a mitsubishi TE304H turbo from the dodge spirit RT.its good for bout 16 psi. i wanted to throw a boosted 98' spec R in the delsol but she dont want that kind of money in her daily driver. I am custom bending all the intercooler piping and downpipe. my dad is fabbing the manifold. I told her to order some internals. and i taught her well, she ordered JE forged pistons, and eagle H beam rods, a cylinder brace, and apr head bolts and a brand new set of rod bearings and crank bearings from Honda. so I am goog to go. i will try to get some pix on here for you guys and girls to check out.
Old 08-25-2004, 12:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Del Sol Turbo (90integra05)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 90integra05 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">D16 the worst to Boost? Hah, you should take a look at the FI forum sometime.. You'd be REALLY suprised. Honestly, I think the D15 would be the worst to boost because of the toothpick rods but, thats just me.</TD></TR></TABLE>

im turboing my d15b7. i know itll will be a waste but id rather learn how to boost first than blowing a new mota ;D. sohc turbo 4 life