Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

del sol targa top. is it really an important part of the structure?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2003, 08:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default del sol targa top. is it really an important part of the structure?

it seems to me that the roof doesn't do too much in the way of stiffening the body. it's held in place by 4 small pegs i think the roof would be wrecked if it was put under very much stress. the roof panels structure is made of a piece of metal on each side that runs from the front to the back, and bolts into the locking mech. not having any kind of cross-members in the roof says to me that this thing cannot resist any kind of twisting.

and to boot the whole thing is surrounded by soft rubber which would further defeat it's ability to stiffen the body.

so you tell me. am i wrong about all this?
Old 02-21-2003, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: del sol targa top. is it really an important part of the structure? (Typical Lucas)

it seems to me that the roof doesn't do too much in the way of stiffening the body. it's held in place by 4 small pegs i think the roof would be wrecked if it was put under very much stress. the roof panels structure is made of a piece of metal on each side that runs from the front to the back, and bolts into the locking mech. not having any kind of cross-members in the roof says to me that this thing cannot resist any kind of twisting.

and to boot the whole thing is surrounded by soft rubber which would further defeat it's ability to stiffen the body.

so you tell me. am i wrong about all this?
In an autocross I would run some runs with the roof in and the roof out and did not notice any differt in times or how the car feel. I think the roof may help a little but is not a huge difference with it in or out.