Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Del Sol Stuck Oil Filter

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Del Sol Stuck Oil Filter

Just looking for some advice as it seems I've tried almost everything. I've got a 94 Del Sol bought not too long ago to start fresh and the dam filter is stuck. Previous owner must have tighten the **** out of the dam thing. Anyways, I've attempted to use the traditional oil filter tool that wraps around it to spin it lose which failed before it even started considering the axel and exhaust being in the way and no leverage. I've used an end cap to slip over it but the previous owner had rounded off the filter somehow to where it won't even grab, rather just spins when slightly grabbing. Another was the oil filter pliers which all that did was mangle the thing and it now looks like a crushed can. Of which I should've tried first was the use of my bare strength which didn't go far. Then used sandpaper for extra grip and my mechanic's gloves as well and that didn't do a dam thing. Even let a friend twice my size attempt it and failed. Finally feeling desperate I have tried the screwdriver tactic and all that did after it was all the way through was start ripping through the filter.... so i dropped that idea, afraid it would just tear the end part of the filter off. Now in the process of taking the intake manifold off so I have a better vantage point.

The tech in this question is whether or not there is another way before I completely destroy this thing?? There's gotta be something. I mean wth would a shop do. I'm not a professional persay, but I know enough to get a dam oil filter off, or at least i thought. Help?!?

PS. Sorry about long post.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Del Sol Stuck Oil Filter

Had a similar problem years ago on a Volkswagen fox. They were installing the filters without oiling the gasket. We tried wrenches of all types including a chain wrench. All we did was collapse the filter. Finally got it off by driving a large screwdriver and twisting.

But you have to be careful to not hit the blocks threaded fitting.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:27 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Since it's being replaced, it doesn't matter if you destroy it. The big-*** screw driver through the filter was the go-to trick if it was stuck. We had one tech who had a massive ice pick that he used on EVERY filter. Didn't even try wrenching it off, always just shoved the spike through and turned.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've tried the screwdriver trick. Dug it all the way in careful not to hit the threads and when I attempted to loosen it, all it did was start tearing the filter in half, which is why I stopped. There has to be another way or something. I'd rather not have to take the entire manifold off just for a better vantage point, but it's looking to be the only way. Never had such a filter so dam tight.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I was going to recommend the screw driver trick. I have had to use a soft leather belt before when all else failed. It allowed to get a good angle and grip when being in tight spaces. Another thing but I wouldn't recommend on a punctured filter since it would be a fire hazard. Use a blow torch to heat the filter up and allow it to expand the metal.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by speedjunkie_g35
Well I was going to recommend the screw driver trick. I have had to use a soft leather belt before when all else failed. It allowed to get a good angle and grip when being in tight spaces. Another thing but I wouldn't recommend on a punctured filter since it would be a fire hazard. Use a blow torch to heat the filter up and allow it to expand the metal.
A good idea, but since it is punctured, not such a good idea lol. I'm thinking I may just do what jbpnoman suggested and get a "big-*** screw driver" as the one I was using is not so big-*** aha. That or find something sharp and large to puncture through once again and have enough leverage so that it may not rip through so easily. Hoping this works. Going to try tomorrow since it's dark out and unable to see.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:23 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Yeah, you want the biggest one you can get. I use a 20" flat head. $16 at Sears.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I got an oil filter off of my old 73 Chevy pickup with a hammer. Got the claw to puncture and then used the bell housing of the Trans as a pry point.

Posted from Honda-tech.com App for Android
Old 04-06-2013, 11:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by colin8811
Bump
??? Who are you?

Trying to get your post up or something???
Old 04-06-2013, 05:04 PM
I am Jack's...

Because of the serious space limitation of your Delsol in this area, especially with power steering and axle hardware you will most likely have to remove the intake. You will also have to be carefull and remove the oil sender so as not to break it, and possibly a knock sensor very close by depending on your model. Also, the water supply tube must be undisturbed as even a slight rocking or twist may indeed cause a coolant leak at the t-stat housing or pump outlet.
Now that you know (be carefull) but you will have to use that longest flat screwdrive to make a diliberate attempt to twist it off. You can do this as it has happened several times in our shop to remove after a total case destruction was incurred. Turn it slowly one hit at a time with your eye on it at all times counterclockwise. If you wish to tear the shell off of the filter it may make things even easier as the attachment plate to the block is much thicker steel and has many holesin it to plant the screwdriver into for accurate strikes. Sorry to hear about your dilema.
Old 04-06-2013, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I went at it for another two hours today in hopes to just get the dam thing off and no luck. Used a pretty good sized pick too. Just tore through the dam thing. Pretty much am f'ed at this current moment and only have one option to pull the intake manifold off for a more versatile position. Pics of my sheer luck.

And the tool used with no luck.
Old 04-06-2013, 05:35 PM
Stancetard Hate Monger

get closer to the base
Old 04-06-2013, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by eghatch9295
get closer to the base
Not possible with the exhaust and axle in the way. Sprayed the outside edges with penetrating oil in hopes that it will help. Letting it sit overnight.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Same thing happened on my del sol, had to use a big pipe wrench.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Use a long screwdriver on the base, and hit it with a hammer.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:50 PM
Trial User

They were installing the filters without oiling the gasket.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

F**kin FRAM... *facepalm*
There's a tool I've seen somewhere that has you cut the shell of the filter off and you insert these little rods into the oil drain-back holes and twist the thing...but I can't find it XP
Old 04-06-2013, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

knock the top off and buy a Cam-action oil filter pliers, it looks like this http://www.mastertectools.net/view.p...1142&logo=atmx most auto parts stores have to order these. make sure you get it to the base of the filter
Old 04-07-2013, 12:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Texas4door
F**kin FRAM... *facepalm*
There's a tool I've seen somewhere that has you cut the shell of the filter off and you insert these little rods into the oil drain-back holes and twist the thing...but I can't find it XP
Lol yeah FRAM. Wasn't by me either, previous owner. If it comes back to you let me know.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Nock91CHBsi
knock the top off and buy a Cam-action oil filter pliers, it looks like this http://www.mastertectools.net/view.p...1142&logo=atmx most auto parts stores have to order these. make sure you get it to the base of the filter
So your just suggesting to finish the cut all the way around the rest of the shell and then use that tool to twist it off? Only way I'd be able to get the rest of that would be sitting down underneath chizzling at it for an hour or taking the mani off. Looks like this is gunna be fun.
Old 04-07-2013, 03:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Try to twist it as hard as you can with your hands and hold it there for as long as you can. I tried a screw driver and it ripped through the sides of the filter. Final try before I took it to the shop I just sat there and tried turning it as hard as I could holding the same position and it kinda slowly moved. I don't know how hard it will be to grab the filter you tore up but worth a shot.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:16 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Pistonman
Use a long screwdriver on the base, and hit it with a hammer.
This works.

In the future this is easily the best filter wrench I've ever used. They're about $20

Old 04-12-2013, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I had school the past couple days so no time to work on it really except here and there and basically no luck. Still seems that there is nothin that can get this dam thing off. Gunna call a shop and see if they'll even touch it because the only thing left seeming plausible is to cut the filter off, but I don't even trust myself to do something like that yet without doing some damage. NEVER have I come across something like this.

Pics of where I'm at.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:10 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Someone locktited that thing on, just to **** with you...
Old 04-12-2013, 08:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jbpnoman
Someone locktited that thing on, just to **** with you...
Yeah your tellin me. Any ideas before I take it to a shop? Fed up with it. Hoping a shop will even touch it otherwise it looks like I gotta find a new block or swap it. Hell it's a project anyways lol.

Quick Reply: Del Sol Stuck Oil Filter