Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Del-Sol Stops Accelerating While Driving

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 Del-Sol Stops Accelerating While Driving

Ok here's the problem im having I hope someone can help me figure this out. Let me start off by saying that I have not found anything on here, service manual or google for my issue.

I got in my car the other morning to take my Gf to the hospital and the car suddenly stopped pulling while still in gear. I was in a hurry so i parked it and got the other car and took her on into the hospital. Once we got home I got into the car it fired up and was pulling again so I tried to drive it. While driving the car suddenly stopped pulling again. I pulled over to the side of the road turned it off for a min then back on and it pulled again. Then it was a rinse and repeat deal to get it back home.

The car will start and idle fine and drive for just a few min's and will suddenly stop pulling, but if i turn the key off and wait a min it will pull again but only for a few mins. Doesn't matter the speed or rpm.

The car seems the be getting fuel fine b/c you can press the pedal when it stops pulling and it's like your in neutral. No nose from engine or transmission no metal in the transmission fluid and the fluid its self doesn't smell burnt and looks fairly new.

Please any ideas will be helpful. I have a friend that is suppose to bring a scan tool over for me to use but that's not for another week or so.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by ZombieKing; 04-18-2014 at 03:24 PM.
Old 04-16-2014, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Del-Sol Stops Accelerating While Driving

Really no one has had this issue or heard of it atleast?
Old 04-16-2014, 06:33 PM
I am Jack's...

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hard to say from the discription.
Scenario #1
Car looses power and boggs down when into the gas?
The more you press down the faster it boggs?
The less you press down the gas on a flat road (almost no load) it will just bog a little?
Any of the above 90% fuel pump/delivery issue.
Must actually test fuel pressure to determine 100%.

Scenario #2
While driving and not accelerating (just driving) the car looses speed but the motor gains speed or RPM?
Just driving then under acceleration, car comes out of gear?
Might be cable shift issue under hood exagerrated by bad motor mounts. Could be transmission electrical sensor/connector issue.
ANY CODES?
Old 04-16-2014, 06:37 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Is this an auto transmission? I am so glad I never had to deal with an auto Honda.
Old 04-17-2014, 02:51 AM
I'm Huge In Japan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dude this could be like 50 different issues. don't you have a repair manual? there's a troubleshooting section in the first chapter. it's all the same stuff we're going to tell you to do, but it has pictures.
Old 04-17-2014, 03:19 AM
I like the tuna here

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like maybe torque converter slipping? Don't take my word as gospel, I don't know a lot about automatic transmissions.
Old 04-18-2014, 12:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Tyler Dirden:
The car comes out of gear while driving, doesn't matter if you have the gas pedal compressed or your decelerating. If I pull over turn the key off then back on it will resume driving for about 30 seconds to a min then the same thing happens. No i haven't been able to scan it yet for code and using the jumper technique doesn't seem to flash any.

JoeBlue:
Yes its an automatic. Not what i want but its what came in the car when i traded for it.

VegasInvasion:
**** off.

Ryd2TheMax:
Right or wrong any info to lead me the right way is helpful, so thank you for at least speculating on the problem.
Old 04-18-2014, 12:48 AM
Stancetard Hate Monger

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

trans= poop. dont get angry when people refer you to a service manual. you shouldnt expect everyone to spoon feed you.
Old 04-18-2014, 02:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by eghatch9295
trans= poop. dont get angry when people refer you to a service manual. you shouldnt expect everyone to spoon feed you.
X2 transmission is done ive had the same problem in the past...drain the transmisision fluid its probaly black.. theres no saving the trans if u see black fluid but u can try changing the atf see if it helps
Old 04-18-2014, 03:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

eghatch9295:
If I would have found an answer in the service guide or on forums or Google I wouldn't be here now would I? Maybe you should read the full first post before you start accusing people of wanting to be spoon feed.

jdmjunkieXL: as I said in the original post i checked the trans fluid. There's no metal it doesn't smell burnt and it looks new.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:09 AM
I'm Huge In Japan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your original post did not mention automatic tranny.
In your defense there's not much about A/T clutch slipping in the troubleshooting section, but if your fluid is fine then there's a few things it can be:

- Your throttle cable or TPS is improperly calibrated, the VSS is failing, or the MAP sensor is clogged or failing.
- There's a clog in the hydraulic lines in the tranny causing the lockup solenoid to fail, or the solenoid is bad.
- The clutches are glazed and/or too worn to grip, which the fluid doesn't always show.
- The torque converter is toast.

My money would be on the gear clutches. Because Honda.
In any event assuming the engine code doesn't tell you the answer, if your sensors & throttle check out and a tranny flush doesn't solve the issue, it'll need to be overhauled or replaced.