Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Del Sol Si. What else can I do to make more power? Want 0-60 in 3.5 seconds

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 11:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon3 Del Sol Si. What else can I do to make more power? Want 0-60 in 3.5 seconds

I have a 1994 Honda Del Sol Si. Here's all the performance mods I've done. None of it is cheap or ebay garbage. All the real stuff. My question is what else can I add or replace to make more power. I'm trying to get this puppy to run 0-60 in 3.5 seconds. Not quite there yet. Ideas? Even the smallest of modifications that I might have missed, tell me! Thanks Honda people! p.s. Don't tell me I should buy the VTEC version and start over. Too late for that LOL!!!!!!!!!

Greaddy raidator breather tank
Denso Iridium spark plugs
AEM fuel rail
HKS wastegate
AEM map sensor kit
SKUNK2 coilover
RC 440cc fuel injectors
SKUNK2 76mm cat back exhaust
Flex-A-Lite fan
Koyo radiator
SKUNK2 74mm intake manifold
SKUNK2 74mm throttle body
bushing set for all areas
ACT XACT Streetlight flywheel
MSD ignition module
Buddy Club battery
MSD Blaster ignition coil
MSD ignition distirbutor
AEM engine management system (ECU upgrade)
Flex-A-Lite fan controller
Hondata intake manifold gasket
Unorthodox Racing underdrive pulleys
Apexi head gasket
SKUNK 2 adjustable cam gears
Gude camshafts
JE pistons
Eagle rods
SKUNK2 radiator hoses
SKUNK2 strut bar
Pro Design tie bar
Russel brake line kit
ACT Extreme Duty clutch
MSD 8.5mm spark plug wires
Greaddy RZ blow off valve
Nitrous Express Ntercooler Air Cooler
Greddy Turbo Kit
------- Kit includes air intake, headers (turbo manifold), and downpipe
Greddy Intercooler
Greddy Boost Controller
wheels+tires
NRG Engine Torque Damper
HKS timing belt
throttle cable
motor mounts
valves
slotted rotors kit
oil filter
valve springs
retainers
I use 100 Octane fuel
Walboro Fuel Pump 255LPH to be installed

As you can see, I've done a lot. But I'm not at that 3.5 second mark yet.
Ideas??????????

Last edited by TheProffessa; 08-03-2011 at 07:04 AM. Reason: some info was useless
Old 08-02-2011, 11:41 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: I have A LOT to my Del Sol Si. What else can I do?

How much horsepower does the oil cap make? Seriously? Turbo kit? Engine management? That's all the info you can give? Doubtful you have made these mods. Anyone that has built this extensively would know where to create more power from.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Re: Del Sol Si. What else can I do to make more power? Want 0-60 in 3.5 seconds

Please don't derail this thread. Let the OP respond and we'll go from there.

Last edited by Former User; 08-02-2011 at 01:43 PM.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I have A LOT to my Del Sol Si. What else can I do?

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
How much horsepower does the oil cap make? Seriously? Turbo kit? Engine management? That's all the info you can give? Doubtful you have made these mods. Anyone that has built this extensively would know where to create more power from.
Not everyone's a mechanic some people take there cars to performance shops and say please do what you can to make it fast...

Last edited by Former User; 08-02-2011 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Keep this discussion civil - don't derail
Old 08-02-2011, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Del Sol Si. What else can I do to make more power? Want 0-60 in 3.5 seconds

Like grumblemarc said the op does know what he is talking about. It is just a boasting post...

If you legitimately want advice get a good tune with a hondata ecu.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought the Si was VTEC....
Old 08-02-2011, 03:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sohc d16. He is probably referring to the vtec model with the b16
Old 08-02-2011, 03:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i just copied my wishlist over so sorry about the silly things like oil cap on the list. I dont know how to do the installations, I just buy the parts and have my mechanic install them. i knew to buy these things from my own research. yes, this is a little bit of boasting. Hondata? Heard that is good. I have the $1600 AEM computer. Which is better? To the last dude. There are 3 del sols. S, Si, and Vtec. S is not Vtec. Si is SOHC Vtec. Vtec is DOHC Vtec.

Last edited by Former User; 08-02-2011 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Keep the discussion civil or the thread will be closed. FYI: VTEC not VTECH
Old 08-02-2011, 06:36 PM
The Grumpiest

You claim you've done research but do not know what Hondata is? How did you know which EMS to buy if you didn't comparison shop? How did you come to the conclusion to purchase the AEM unit?

Can you answer any/all of the following questions?
What engine is in the car?
What cams are installed? What IM?
What size injectors?
What turbo do you have installed?
How many intercoolers? You listed two.
I don't see that you've upgraded the fuel pump. What fuel pump?
Where did you go to get it tuned? Please don't say your mechanic.
Do you have any dyno charts? Time slips?
What size exhaust are you running? 2"? 4"?

Take the car to a tuner and have them tweak the AEM and your "turbo kit" out for more horsepower. I find it odd that you cannot list any of the specs of your "turbo kit". If any power is to be gained it will probably be gained in that area. But alas, you fail to provide any details. If you cannot perform the installations and tuning then asking on a forum is pretty much useless.

I know people that have had their cars built and parts installed by shops and they can tell you every little detail about them. How is it you cannot about yours?

And is it a wish list or do you even have the parts purchased and installed? Seeing as how this is a generic list I'm more inclined to believe that this is the former and not the latter.

No one can help you unless you give specific details about your setup. Ebrake handles don't add horsepower last time I checked so maybe you might want to amend your list to power producing options only.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow... umm I thinking this is just all dream world.. If you had the parts you would put names next to what you have not pedals or wastegate... Maybe he does but its ebay junk who knows ... If you want 3.6 sec get a new motor or a new car

Also someone who has a turbo car normaly dosent speak in boost they talk in horsepower
Old 08-02-2011, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lets start with getting traction.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow. Maybe from now on you can be more helpful. I checked out Hondata and their s300. I just went with the AEM one because it seemed like it had more options and of coarse was more expensive. I told you its the Si. SOHC Vtec. Gude camshafts. Skunk2 intake manifold ported out 74mm to match throttle body. RC 440cc injectors. Greddy turbo kit off of Racingworks.com with matching intercooler. A friend of mine tunes it. He tunes Porches and BMWs often. No dyno charts... Skunk2 Megapower RR exhaust 76mm custom cut to fit the del sol. The Nitrous Express Ntercooler is an additional air cooling system that works with the intercooler. I have not upgraded the fuel pump. I read somewhere that you need a "return type" fuel system or something like that to do so. Havn't found out what that is yet though. I don't know how much horsepower Im dealing with because I havn't taken it to get tested on a dyno or whatever. Is there another way to find out how much hp your producing?
Old 08-02-2011, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

traction... how do i improve that?
Old 08-02-2011, 07:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Chak
lets start with getting traction.
listen to chak...if you are concerned about numbers from a dig, traction is going to be your biggest enemy with a high hp car. 60ft and 0-60 times will be terrible if you are spinning. Traction can be a affected by a combination of things like wheel/tire (slick) size, if you use a traction bar, suspension bushings, motor mounts (stiffness), shock/spring combo, and launch technique, just to name a few. I also think you should post specific items/brands/dimensions on your parts list so people can help you out. Judging from your throttle body/im size combination, I hope you are doing research on the parts and not just buying the parts just to have them. 74mm tb/im, 440 rc injectors, and no upgraded fuel pump? Just seems like you are not utilizing what you bought/need for your goal.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

how much HP are you pushing as of now????
Old 08-03-2011, 02:41 AM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TheProffessa
I have not upgraded the fuel pump. I read somewhere that you need a "return type" fuel system or something like that to do so. Havn't found out what that is yet though.
Your Del Sol does have a feed and return type fuel system.
A Walbro pump is an easy upgrade.

Old 08-03-2011, 03:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

20 psi means nothing to us. what turbo are you running? 20 psi on a 14b is going to make different numbers than if you were running say a t3/t4.

raidator breather tank
fuel rail
fan
radiator
ignition module
ignition coil
ignition distirbutor
engine management system (ECU upgrade)
fan controller
underdrive pulleys
radiator hoses
brake line kit
pedals
seat belt harness
spark plug wires
Nitrous Express Ntercooler Air Cooler
wheels+tires
Engine Torque Damper
throttle cable
motor mounts
transmission cooler
slotted rotors kit

why waste money on all this? are you trying to make a show and go car? all that i left of your list is UNNECESSARY parts to waste money on. the stock parts will work fine. you can't use a transmission cooler on a manual transmission and last i heard auto trannies will just grenade when you try to put any serious power to them. the stock cooling system works fine. the stock ignition system works fine too, most aftermarket mods like msd ignition just causes more harm than good from what i've seen. if you're worried about brakes upgrade your front knuckles to civic ex or integra knuckles for the 10" brakes or get an after market kit... but as far as rotors go best bang for your buck is going to be something like the classic brembo blank/hawk pad set up. a high quality proper flowing intercooler will perform better than a small one that you're forcing to be cooler with nawz but that's up to you...

best advice for you though is to search search search. learn to do things yourself you'll thank yourself when something brakes and you're actually able to fix it. alot of questions can be answered by searching
Old 08-03-2011, 03:49 AM
The Grumpiest

440s and no upgraded pump? You sure you did research? I don't think you're even putting down enough power that traction is even an issue. They need to move this thread into Road Racing/Autocross & Time Attack or Drag racing.

Right now I don't believe this is even your setup. Sounds like you copied it straight off of the internet. I cannot for the life of me see how you can get so deep into a build and not know anything about it past the parts list.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Id start with a new "oil filter" Lmao--

Id say 634 hp would get you close...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pzAmzWlegs

theres a link at the end of the video------for something on honda-tech look it up.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you Bryan. Other ppls questions are already answered above. How is the ignition stuff bad? I've never heard of anyone having problems with basic ignition upgrades...
Old 08-03-2011, 06:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

grumblemarc can u just stop posting. trying to prove me wrong or whatever isn't helping. If you think its a joke, dont bother.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:02 AM
The Grumpiest

Sorry. it's an open forum. If we had accurate information on your setup I could probably tell you how to make more power. Anyone else is only guessing right now due to lack of information (No dyno sheets. No time slips. To name a few).

But I have already told you the most important thing; take it to REAL tuner that has access to a DYNO and get it tuned. The tuner can more than likely tell you exactly how to make this power you're looking for.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks to all for the info on fuel pump. Just got a Walboro 255LPH Fuel Pump. I appreciate the help. Anything else?
Old 08-03-2011, 07:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've looked all over the web and even called all local places. I can't find ANYONE who does that stuff. I'm in NY a couple of hours away from the city. Any ideas on finding a place?
Old 08-03-2011, 07:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

With all the unnecessary stuff aside it sounds like you have a decent setup.

However, you say you have it tuned but no dyno charts. That is usually how you tune the car.

Get it on a dyno and have your buddy tune it or go to a tuner with a dyno. It is my understanding the AEM can be tricky so going to a tuner shop that has experience with the AEM would be best(not saying your buddy doesnt know what he is doing). A good tune is going to pull out all the power out of your setup.

Get that walbro 255 so you dont blow up your setup and the traction/suspension mods and you will be well on your way.

Last edited by aemciv; 08-03-2011 at 07:28 AM.

Quick Reply: Del Sol Si. What else can I do to make more power? Want 0-60 in 3.5 seconds