Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

del Sol scary steering

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 07:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 del Sol scary steering

I have a 93 sol that I am having trouble controlling at speeds 60+. The car wants to drift especially when accelerating and hitting bumps. I have hit a small bump at 80 and nearly hit the median wall on the hwy. My setup is H&R lowering springs with "decent" struts (prolly 4 years old), poly bushings, strut bar, and fairly new rack and pinion (no power steering fluid is leaking). This is a 400hp car which maybe why this issue has gotten progressively worse... I am thinking its the struts/suspension but I don't want to replace without getting some feedback from this forum first. Any help/tips would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-19-2014, 07:35 AM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: del Sol scary steering

-your energy bushings are likely torn or stretched. Especially if you have an energy RTA bushing.

-your "decent" shocks suggest a no-name or parts store available generic shock which you've used for a long time on fairly agressive springs.

-you likely have not checked your alignment

My suggestions:
-check your bushings. If they're messed up, replace them with HONDA or hardrace rubber ones. The brand is important.

-Replace your shocks with something actually decent. Koni STR-T or Koni yellow, for example.

-check your chassis. Loose ball joints? Tie rods? Bearings? Alignment arms?

-Get the car aligned. Get it looked over by a professional if you're not confident in your ability.
Old 06-19-2014, 08:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B serious
-your energy bushings are likely torn or stretched. Especially if you have an energy RTA bushing.

-your "decent" shocks suggest a no-name or parts store available generic shock which you've used for a long time on fairly agressive springs.

My suggestions:
-check your bushings. If they're messed up, replace them with HONDA or hardrace rubber ones. The brand is important.

-Replace your shocks with something actually decent. Koni STR-T or Koni yellow, for example.

-Get the car aligned. Get it looked over by a professional if you're not confident in your ability.
Thanks for the info, I will def do this!
Old 06-19-2014, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B serious

My suggestions:

Would probably check here first personally. Tie rods/ ball joints/ axles. Then move over to suspension afterwards. Just looking at bushings/struts can tell you a lot.
Old 06-19-2014, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've taken apart a lot of Del Sols and most of them had bad bushings in the front, either upper and/or lower control arms. Grab the top of your front tire with both hands and try to rock it in and out as hard as you can. Look and listen (best with 2 people). Then put a hand at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions and do the same thing left and right.

If the trailing arm bushings are shot it often feels like your *** is sliding sideways in a hard turn. You can usually get a good visual inspection on those if you jack up the rear. If they are Poly, look for the center to be worn/torn where the mounting bar goes through the center.

The car wants to drift especially when accelerating
This makes me want to check the engine mounts.
Old 06-19-2014, 06:00 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Blown shocks is most likely, I think. Wonder if the tires are cupped.
Old 06-19-2014, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Does it have rust? Has it ever been in an accident. I have seen this being caused by many things.
-Front subframe could be misaligned from excessive rust or from front end accident
- worn lower control arm bushings can cause this especially at acceleration
- alignment could cause this but not that sever unless it was a noticeable tire pointed one direction but in that case you would have some tremendous tire wear.
-does it pull at all during brake application?
- swap the tires up front see if it clears it up or switches directions.
-transmission a lsd transmission or non lsd could be the drive axle working to hard.
Old 06-19-2014, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Also check tires for wear a tire can tell you a lot about your car.
Let me know and findings.
Old 06-19-2014, 06:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

B serious knows whats up