Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

del sol Roof leaks

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2002, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default del sol Roof leaks

I was just wondering if it is common for the roof to leak on Honda Del Sols. I own one and just got the roof fixed and was thinking about selling it and getting another one because I've had so many problems with it.
Old 10-13-2002, 08:16 PM

Default Re: del sol Roof leaks (Dx4dR93)

i bought a 95si....
still hasn't leaked.
Old 10-13-2002, 08:44 PM

Default Re: del sol Roof leaks (95si)

Yes, the 93 and 94 models have this problem. Honda fixed the problem in late 94 and all sols from 95-97 should not have this leak problem that you are experiencing. I've got a 93 Si and live in Alabama, so I feel your pain as far as the wet seats go. I've tried tightning the top several times, but that doesn't seem to last for very long. I guess I'm finally going to break down and have the 95+ seals installed.
BTW...How much did they charge you to fix the problem?

[Modified by jdmsol, 11:45 PM 10/13/2002]
Old 10-14-2002, 08:52 AM

Default Re: del sol Roof leaks (jdmsol)

my uncle works at honda and what they do to the old seals are they put rubber tubing underneath the rubber seals and it increases the pressure under there which stops the leaks. Well he doest but thats what they tell the service groups to do. i did it to mine and no leaks since i did it.
Old 10-14-2002, 10:23 AM

Default Re: del sol Roof leaks (delslow94)

my uncle works at honda and what they do to the old seals are they put rubber tubing underneath the rubber seals and it increases the pressure under there which stops the leaks. Well he doest but thats what they tell the service groups to do. i did it to mine and no leaks since i did it.
This is the type of **** that worries me when I take my car to have it repaired. I pay dearly for parts and labor and then some jackass like your uncle or his crew screws me over!

[Modified by jdmsol, 1:23 PM 10/14/2002]
Old 10-14-2002, 10:55 AM

Just ask for the old seals back after they supposedly install the new ones. They can't refuse, or if they do, tell them "get bent"......

The replacement seals on the del Sol are obvious though, so you would be able to tell the difference between your old and new seals for sure.

Steve
Old 10-14-2002, 11:06 AM

Default Re: del sol Roof leaks (stevecockrill)

Yeah, I'm well aware of how the new seals would look, but this is a prime example of how some people get ripped off. Techs should never be doing quick fixes like the one described above. The repair should be done the correct way or not at all. If guys are trying to pull some bs like this...what else are they doing at this "shop"? Doesn't it kind of make you nervous? You have to earn my trust as a mechanic or a tech. I don't just let joe random have the keys to my ride for the afternoon because joe random could be part of his uncles crew.

Back on Topic.

[Modified by jdmsol, 2:07 PM 10/14/2002]
Old 10-14-2002, 01:21 PM

who cares, if its cheap, and it works, then
Old 10-14-2002, 01:25 PM

That depends if you've paid for new seals!! I'd be pretty pissed after paying upwards of $400 if they just rigged it, even if it works. I'd want new seals.

Luckily, I had mine done for free!

Steve
Old 10-14-2002, 01:25 PM

who cares, if its cheap, and it works, then
I agree, but a shop shouldn't be doing that!
Old 10-14-2002, 01:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have a 94 vtec sol and wet seats are . i need to get that fixed.
Old 10-14-2002, 01:35 PM

Default Re: del sol Roof leaks (boostedsol)

i have a 93 sol si and it leaks.........
how much would it cost to replace that thing anyway?

and would you trust junk yard replacement? last time i saw a 95+ sol and so tempted to get it, but don't know if its worth it or not?
Old 10-14-2002, 03:17 PM

Default Re: del sol Roof leaks (intezn)

Roof seals part number is 06854-SR2-305. List price on my invoice from the dealership was $357.68

If you can get a set from the junk yard for a reasonable price, I'd go for it.

Steve

P.S. My car hasn't leaked in years.
Old 10-14-2002, 05:07 PM

My 93 used to leak a lot, but I fixed it for CHEAP!:

This summer I stopped neglecting my car and actually did some maintenance - specifically, I lubed the rubber seals on my car with 100% silicon spray. I was just doing this because it's regular maintenance that I'm supposed to do anyways a couple times a year, but I was happy to discover that simply doing this made my roof leakfree! I've driven through several HEAVY storms since then, and still not a single drop has leaked into my car.

Of course, it's entirely possible that you're already lubing your seals, and this wouldn't help you out. But for anyone who doesn't, give this a shot first and see if any leaking problems subside...
Old 10-14-2002, 05:38 PM

Default Re: del sol Roof leaks (Notorious BAE)

No offense, but you don't know HEAVY rain. I used to live in the Twin Cities and the weather there is nothing compared to a southern rainstorm. Maintainence will help, but only to a point. The problem is that Honda screwed up in the design and then corrected it in 95. The cost of parts is reasonable, it's the labor that will set you back. Be prepared to get raped by the dealer.
Old 10-14-2002, 05:41 PM
dAng!

i just ordered the front strip around the windshield area for 155 shipped from the local honda dealer. you might want to check your local dealers again guys/girls.
Old 10-14-2002, 05:52 PM

Northern rain isn"t bad enough to hang with Southern rain. Our rain is the worst of anywhere in the entire world. I am not sure Noah's Ark could have messed around with the ever dreaded southern rain.

Let's be realistic heavy rain is heavy rain no matter where it is falling.
Old 10-14-2002, 05:58 PM

Default Re: del sol Roof leaks (go_noles28)

no no no you guys got me all wrong....if the seals are new and still leak (aka the seals) they put the rubber under them. it is not a bum fix it is to push out the rubber more on the top. by the way this isnt just a mechanic....its the honda plant in east liberty ohio ( this is where they make your motors fellas). its only a way to increase pressure on the window at the seams
Old 10-14-2002, 06:01 PM

I am going to be buying a sol soon and this was a nice thread. I would not have thought to check that. Is the tubing special or just regular home depot type stuff?
Old 10-14-2002, 06:06 PM

With my cheap station wagon i got wet seats too, cause the seals to the doors up top would leak because of holes pr where the seal was seperated. To fix this I just used some caulk for like filling in gaps in houses and stuff. No leaks anymore. But are you sure it is the pressure and not a hole?
Old 10-14-2002, 06:13 PM

Default Re: del sol Roof leaks (AmericanWagoner)

OK let me get this straight. You put latex caulk around your door frame? that is quite possibly the most ghetto fix I have ever heard of, however you are very industrious.
Old 10-14-2002, 06:52 PM

Well, just for the record, I'm not from Minnesota originally. I grew up in VA and also lived in FL - so yes, I do know what heavy rain is. And frankly, Minnesotans DO get some deluges every now and then. You know, the storms where some of the raindrops feel like a quick jab...
Old 10-14-2002, 06:59 PM

Maintainence will help, but only to a point. The problem is that Honda screwed up in the design and then corrected it in 95.
Like I said, what worked for me might not work for others, or at least completely eliminate the problem. I suppose it's a case-by-case basis, as I know someone with a 94 and old seals that never leaked. But if I ever buy a new Sol, I'm definitely getting a 95 or later

[Modified by Notorious BAE, 4:00 AM 10/15/2002]
Old 10-14-2002, 07:30 PM

Default Re: del sol Roof leaks (Notorious BAE)

yea u can use just cheap rubber tubing, home depot is a good place to go. only prob is that i dont know the exact sizing that is needed for ur application. it all depends on the car. my uncles sol needed something huge...mine something tiny. oh yea make sure its very flexible otherwise it'll make more problems if its too stiff. (dont use high pressure lines). i used a cheap plumbers tubing that isnt reinforced. hope this helps
Old 10-14-2002, 07:36 PM

no no no you guys got me all wrong....if the seals are new and still leak (aka the seals) they put the rubber under them. it is not a bum fix it is to push out the rubber more on the top. by the way this isnt just a mechanic....its the honda plant in east liberty ohio ( this is where they make your motors fellas). its only a way to increase pressure on the window at the seams
Sorry if we got the wrong impression...I just don't see why the plant would do such a thing to increase pressure. You can increase the pressure by tightening the top which is what reconmends to begin with.

Quick Reply: del sol Roof leaks