Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Del Sol Roof Leakage

Old 10-15-2014, 04:04 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Del Sol Roof Leakage

Hi, I was curious if anyone had a good experience with leak-proofing their del sol. If so, what did you use?
Old 10-15-2014, 04:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Del Sol Roof Leakage

New seals from Honda and properlly fitting/adjusting the top.
Hopefully you dont have rust forming under the seals or around the windshield.
Old 10-16-2014, 05:46 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

If your roof is leaking than you need to check your targa top. Sit in the car, all windows rolled up, have someone pressure spray water on the gaps of the targa top?
Old 10-17-2014, 05:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

What year is the Delsol? The roof seals pre 95 are different than the post 95' ones (Alot of pre 95s leaked from the factory). If you replace them definitely go with the post 95' seals. Sadly though just the front targa seal from Honda is like 300$.... To replace front back and sides new your talking at least a grand... In the meantime go to Honda and get some "shin-etsu grease" (15$ a tube?) the seals are supposed to be lubed with it once a month or so. Without it they get porous and let water in, they will also start to rub and "chirp" on bumps... So its kind of a must but one tube will last you a good while. (You can also use it on cv boots, Window trim, or any other honda rubber showing signs of deteriorating)

If you have a leaky targa top chances are you have leaks else-wear. Here are some more places to check for common leaks.

Is there rust in the bottom of your trunk? Or water on your rear strut towers? If so your sail panels are leaking and you will want to take care of that right away. (Its a pretty simple fix)

Water sloshing when you take turns? Your rear window drains are clogged and will also need taken care of immediately... Unless you like having a kiddie pool behind your seat, carrying around extra weight, and your car rusting literally from the inside out.

Wet passenger side floor board? Its coming in through the cowls heater vents, or hood hinges seals... This one can be tougher to track down...

If the roof is leaking upfront, there's a 50/50 chance its either the seals on the windshield or the front targa molding. Easiest way to distinguish is take out the interior (Sun Visors and the plastic piece) and do the water test stated above.

On my 93 Si i personally had to Replace my front targa molding, Reseal my sail panels, Seal up my windshield, and i still have leaks behind both seats (drips onto personal trunk) and in the passenger floor well but the floor well is only when i go through a car-wash or it rains REALLY hard.

Sorry for all the bad news but i hope this helps.
Old 05-27-2015, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the post, I have a 93s that does have leaks the same as you have stated or close to it. The thing is it doesn't leak every time it just depends how hard its raining or the direction of the rain. It is a great little car I think I will replace as much of the seals as I can afford. I have noticed there isn't any rust yet , I had the car painted when I bought it because it had oxidized all over. It looks much better. The guy painted it for me because 1 it was a straight car, no major dents and it was so small, but he said it was so soft and flexible it was hard to not dent it, lol, Maybe I should get some of that "shin-etsu grease" in the meantime. I just wanted to thank you for your post. Very helpful.
Old 05-27-2015, 02:15 PM
Sol to Sol

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

under 95s have a design flaw they fixed later.

You will NEVER get it to work 100% until you replace the front seal.

Really wish they did a recall, but instead they stick us with $175.

Eh, good luck. And use Shin-Etsu on the rest of the seals.