Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Del Sol Roll Cage

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2005, 07:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Del Sol Roll Cage

What have the soll guys gone with. im know ur supposed to cut the trunk and window, but what u guys buying just to start with. I am looking to build all cabin and hope they let me slide. Where do i start in purchasing something?
Old 05-01-2005, 07:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

cusco makes one, or did. I would like to see some sweet cages too.
Old 05-01-2005, 08:59 PM

yeah cusco has em and Im not sure but might check safty21 also
Old 05-01-2005, 09:10 PM

Default Re: (PK SPEED)

I have checked safety 21, auto power, and cusco. The only one to have them is cusco and I beleive they don't make them anymore. That is a good thing also because it was a shity product that had extremely thin tubing which wasn't built in a safe way even. I think to get a good cage for the sol you need to get it custom made somewhere. I have been wanting to do one also and have datermined that this is basically the only way. However to make it legal for most racing series you need to run braces out the back window and into the trunk. I don't want to do this and I want to keep my interior but you will probably have to lose the rear storage bins at the very least. That is basically all I have found, barely anyone does a cage in a sol and I guess it's for a reason but if you ever do this PLEASE SEND ME PICTURES OR CONTACT ME. I am very interested to see how you do this.
Old 05-01-2005, 10:56 PM

Default Re: (BrianDelSol)

based on that, it looks like i should just start pricing tubing. we dont have a bender tho and i know u cant weld bends in. I will start the official brain storming today and let u know as soon as i come up with something
Old 05-01-2005, 11:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Del Sol Roll Cage (D3LSLO)

use the Search function.
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">» Search Results

Your search for sol cage returned 13 results.</TD></TR></TABLE>
PM adictionbass. he has a good one.
Old 05-01-2005, 11:33 PM

Default Re: Del Sol Roll Cage (jL iLLuZiOnz 9)

this cage and seat are what you need

pm me and i can hook you up with the guy who builds these things. he'll cut you a deal
Old 05-01-2005, 11:38 PM

Default Re: Del Sol Roll Cage (The Internet Tough Guy)

Is that still race legal even though it doesn't go into the trunk, or will they let that slide?
Old 05-02-2005, 05:18 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Del Sol Roll Cage (CycloneBlue_1.6EL)

that looks more like a roll bar than a cage. will the passenger's seat still fit?
Old 05-02-2005, 11:30 AM

Default Re: Del Sol Roll Cage (IHateJDM)

hahahahah that was a joke ... i can't believe you guys didn't make fun of that seat. look at it!

no that is not legal in any sense. that's what not to do to your del sol.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:38 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by The Internet Tough Guy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hahahahah that was a joke ... i can't believe you guys didn't make fun of that seat. look at it!

no that is not legal in any sense. that's what not to do to your del sol.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, I thought that was pretty messed up. I was just trying to be nice. You don't need subs if you have a cage, and you generally don't need a cage if you're the type to weigh your car down with subs.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BrianDelSol)

The cusco bar is a piece of c r a p, it is not legal for any racing organization in the us, so even if you find one and you want to do a hpde or go racing do not spend your money on a cusco roll cage... and I use that term loosely.
Old 05-02-2005, 12:13 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by The Internet Tough Guy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hahahahah that was a joke ... i can't believe you guys didn't make fun of that seat. look at it!

no that is not legal in any sense. that's what not to do to your del sol.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I was trying not to flame for that, I was trying to remember why I car about the function before form guideline... granted when I looked at that pic for the first time last night, it was in my really well lit office at work with a crappy monitor and 800x600. Sometimes it's hard to tell stuff like that until I get it home and look at it on my 19" monitor.
Old 05-02-2005, 12:29 PM

Default Re: Del Sol Roll Cage (CycloneBlue_1.6EL)

AHAHAHA that was pretty funny, it made me smile
Old 05-03-2005, 10:05 PM

bump i need a cage to!!!!!!!!!!!!! im sick of searching
Old 05-03-2005, 10:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wtf.. that does look safe to drive on the street..lol
Old 05-04-2005, 12:10 AM

Default Re: Del Sol Roll Cage (1type)

isnt the sol body stiff/rigid enough?
Old 05-04-2005, 12:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Del Sol Roll Cage (longbeachpurplecivic)

they're asking for safety reasons. not suspension reasons.
Old 05-04-2005, 12:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IHateJDM &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yeah, I thought that was pretty messed up. I was just trying to be nice. You don't need subs if you have a cage, and you generally don't need a cage if you're the type to weigh your car down with subs.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That and I like the duct tape around the rear seals. Like that is really doing anything.
Old 05-04-2005, 12:54 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by longbeachpurplecivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">isnt the sol body stiff/rigid enough?</TD></TR></TABLE>

actually... no.

chassis bend is horrible, I don't know about other Sol owners but on turns I can feel it, even more so with the top off.

it's a pitty there arn't any cages, but I guess the market(race) demand wasn't high enough for some serious companies to get involved.
Old 05-04-2005, 01:32 AM

Default Re: Del Sol Roll Cage (james p.)

i just figured for a compact car liek that it was. thanks for the corrections .. i figured the roll cage is for SAFETY AND SUSPENSION wise.. correct me if im wrong
Old 05-04-2005, 01:53 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by longbeachpurplecivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i just figured for a compact car liek that it was. thanks for the corrections .. i figured the roll cage is for SAFETY AND SUSPENSION wise.. correct me if im wrong</TD></TR></TABLE>

When Honda designs their cars, they have to take the worlds demands into consideration, and make some sacrifices to keep cost low and reliability high. French car company like Peugeot, puts all their efforts in the chassis and suspension and keeps cost low with crappy interior and questionable reliability - but they build for Europe only, where mountain roads are everywhere and handling is a must.

Roll cages are to eliminate chassis roll completely (or mostly) and give the once everyday car, a go kart feeling for track use, and ofcourse protect the driver in case of an accident.

I can't be sure what goes on in the U.S. or Canada since I moved away more than 6 years ago, but the Del Sol is a heavy car for it's size and not really a racers choice so that the demand for roll cages to be made. Think about it, you're not really going to be wondering how beautiful the sky is when you're going after the perfect lap are you?
Old 05-04-2005, 05:16 AM

Default Re: Del Sol Roll Cage (james p.)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by james p. &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
chassis bend is horrible, I don't know about other Sol owners but on turns I can feel it, even more so with the top off.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I can definitely feel it too, especially without the targa. I know a guy who used to auto-x his gsr del sol. One day at the track, going around a corner, his chassis flexed so hard that he broke out his rear window. And that was with the top on.
Old 05-04-2005, 06:25 AM

Default Re: Del Sol Roll Cage (D3LSLO)

I didn't even know Del Sol's had a roll cage, I guess you learn something everyday.
Old 05-04-2005, 07:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IHateJDM &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I can definitely feel it too, especially without the targa. I know a guy who used to auto-x his gsr del sol. One day at the track, going around a corner, his chassis flexed so hard that he broke out his rear window. And that was with the top on.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Did you actually witness this or is this a friend of a firend of a friend thing, this rumor has been floating aourn the net for years yet I know now one who has personally witness this happen, I run my del sol at several track events a year and many auto cross and my back window is fine this is both with stock aftermarket suspension, street tires and R comps, with the top in and with the top out, and my back window is fine.

Quick Reply: Del Sol Roll Cage