Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

del sol rear disc brake conversion on '99 civic hatch

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2005, 12:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default del sol rear disc brake conversion on '99 civic hatch

wut all do i need to install disc brakes from a '95 honda dels sol onto my 99 civic hatch....and will i need the trailing arm from the del sol or will the control arms line up with my trailing arm and for the emergency brake cable will i have to disconnect the whole thing from the handle on the inside......sum1 just give me holla and let me know i really need my car back
Old 11-26-2005, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: del sol rear disc brake conversion on '99 civic hatch (grard)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by grard &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">*1* wut all do i need to install disc brakes from a '95 honda dels sol onto my 99 civic hatch....and *2* will i need the trailing arm from the del sol or will the control arms line up with my trailing arm and *3* for the emergency brake cable will i have to disconnect the whole thing from the handle on the inside...</TD></TR></TABLE>

1 - Check this post... https://honda-tech.com/zero...36026 Basically, disconnect the entire trailing arm assembly. You don't have to use them, but you can also grab the CAs, LCAs, and UCAs. For the hydraulics, check this post... https://honda-tech.com/zero...89740 This post lists the part #s for the EM1's hydraulics. You can also choose to go with a different Brake Master Cylinder and/or Brake Booster (Power Assembly). Whether these should be from a Del Sol... I don't know. I only know that you'll have less problems emulating the EM1's hydraulics.
2 - The trailing arms will typically bolt on. Whether there are any negative alignment issues as a result will depend on many things, including bent components. The less you change, the less likely problems will arise. Straightness and bushing condition will determine if you should swap from the spindle or the TA itself. Check this thread if you want to do a spindle swap... https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1349450
3 - You can snag the parking brake cable from the Del Sol, but it may/may not fit correctly (lengthwise) for your vehicle. You definitely need the forked end (using a clevis and cotter pin) type of cable, as drum brake cables are different. Some people like using zip-ties to make up for differences in length, but you can get the EM1's cables if you want to be more certain. Either way, you'll have to disconnect the cables from the center console to remove/replace them.

Lastly, check this thread: https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1024818
Just keep in mind that "will bolt on" doesn't always = "works best".

JasonGhostz

Search is your friend.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: del sol rear disc brake conversion on '99 civic hatch (grard)

You will need ebrake cables from a 99-00 Si, not the ones from your Del Sol brakes. You can use your stock LCAs.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:12 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: del sol rear disc brake conversion on '99 civic hatch (BlueIntegraBoy)

the del sol cables are the same length, but the end that connects to the e-brake handle is different. And you will need an alignment when you are done.
Old 11-28-2005, 09:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: del sol rear disc brake conversion on '99 civic hatch (IHateJDM)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IHateJDM &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the del sol cables are the same length, but the end that connects to the e-brake handle is different. And you will need an alignment when you are done.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Del Sol cables are shorter. I compared them with Integra cables and the Integra cables were longer. That's why they connect to the ebrake handle underneath the car instead of inside the car.
Old 12-02-2005, 07:32 AM

Default Re: del sol rear disc brake conversion on '99 civic hatch (BlueIntegraBoy)

so am i gonna need to use other cables like from a 99-00 civic si or sumthing for the brakes.. and am i gonna be able to use my e-brake handle or get a diff one for my hatch..
Old 12-02-2005, 08:03 AM

Default Re: del sol rear disc brake conversion on '99 civic hatch (IHateJDM)

how much would u be willing to sell those e-brake cables for ?