Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Del Sol Pro's and Con's The official end all thread.

Old 06-11-2005, 07:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (skip.two)

Im not going to list that as a con because that can be fixed easily and it can happen to any car, Im looking for more specific info
Old 06-11-2005, 07:50 PM

Default Re: Del Sol Pro's and Con's The official end all thread. (9 3 d e l s o l)

even with the top on the body flex leaves much to be desired.
Old 06-13-2005, 05:19 AM

Default Re: (deeksmooth)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by deeksmooth &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

brakes definately should NOT be last priority, unless you want to wreck your new investment. if you do a swap you have more power and weight, more inertia... u need better brakes to compensate for all of that. i hope you change your mind on that decision.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes i do know that.. and will upgrade them as i upgrade the car.... thanks...
Old 06-13-2005, 06:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Unless you're in Europe, most leather del sol seats you'll find in North America are dealer option or done in the aftermarket.

As mentioned, the del sol interior is one great thing about the car. I personally find it better than any interior found in a Civic or Integra sold stateside, but that might just be me.

As far as weight comparisons, the most fair model comparison for a Delsol, especially the VTEC model is to similarly equipped models, such as the Honda Civic Si hatchback from the 92-95 generation, 94-00 Integra GSR, or 99-00 Civic Si.

When there are people gutting out their hatches and putting b-series swaps into them claiming 2,100 lbs curb weights, they've picked the base model civic hatch that already lack power windows, rear disc brakes, air conditioning, power steering and compare them to vehicles with them already. The closest comparisons would probably be the Si hatch with the SOHC VTEC motor, which is very similar to the del sol vtec in equipment, though-lacking the twin cam motor -- the b-series swap is said to add 75lbs or so over the d-series configuration -- and the Civic Si does come with a sunroof, and yeah the delsol sorta has one too. When you add it up or start deleting parts, the weight is not as big a difference as people like to make it to be.
Old 06-13-2005, 06:53 AM

Default Re: (Hash Browns)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hash Browns &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Unless you're in Europe, most leather del sol seats you'll find in North America are dealer option or done in the aftermarket.

As mentioned, the del sol interior is one great thing about the car. I personally find it better than any interior found in a Civic or Integra sold stateside, but that might just be me.

As far as weight comparisons, the most fair model comparison for a Delsol, especially the VTEC model is to similarly equipped models, such as the Honda Civic Si hatchback from the 92-95 generation, 94-00 Integra GSR, or 99-00 Civic Si.

When there are people gutting out their hatches and putting b-series swaps into them claiming 2,100 lbs curb weights, they've picked the base model civic hatch that already lack power windows, rear disc brakes, air conditioning, power steering and compare them to vehicles with them already. The closest comparisons would probably be the Si hatch with the SOHC VTEC motor, which is very similar to the del sol vtec in equipment, though-lacking the twin cam motor -- the b-series swap is said to add 75lbs or so over the d-series configuration -- and the Civic Si does come with a sunroof, and yeah the delsol sorta has one too. When you add it up or start deleting parts, the weight is not as big a difference as people like to make it to be.</TD></TR></TABLE>

thanks.. that clears a lot more up....

BTW.. im in the market for a VTEC sol... so.. if neone has one for under 5k let me know.. im willing to travel!!
Old 06-13-2005, 07:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (1SiKDA8)

The reason I got rid of my EM1 was to have something that not everybody else had, like a Civic or an Integra. I've adressed the suspension issues in my car and i'll be damned if my car does'nt ride like it's on rails. I love my Sol and would'nt trade her for the world.
Old 06-13-2005, 08:02 AM

Default Re: Del Sol Pro's and Con's The official end all thread. (nocturnaldragon)

I have a 93 sol with a EG front end conversion it is underconstuction b/c the smart one that owned it before me "drifted" it into a median in the snow. I love the conversion and i love the car no complaints from me.
Old 06-13-2005, 08:04 AM

Default Re: Del Sol Pro's and Con's The official end all thread. (rhdteg18)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rhdteg18 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have a 93 sol with a EG front end conversion it is underconstuction b/c the smart one that owned it before me "drifted" it into a median in the snow. I love the conversion and i love the car no complaints from me. </TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL...
Old 06-13-2005, 08:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Del Sol Pro's and Con's The official end all thread. (nocturnaldragon)

Cons

-Hard to find/replace the front bumper
-Safety, you get hit anywhere in that car and you're almost assured to die
-A lot of wieght for such a small car
-Is it me (I'm on 5'9) or is it, no matter how high I tilt the steering wheel, my knees still hit.

I don't know, I wouldn't get a Del Sol. If you gave it to me, I would sell it right away

EG6
Old 06-13-2005, 08:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Del Sol Pro's and Con's The official end all thread. (TheGeneral)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TheGeneral &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Cons

</TD></TR></TABLE>

not for the 93-95's, those are on ebay all the time

now if you have a 96-97, thats a bitch and a half to find one of those for sale, might as well go straight to Honda for it. (I know, I have one, I fucked it up, now I'm trying to fix it)
Old 06-13-2005, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (nocturnaldragon)

it isnt tough driving them at all lowered...mine is 1 7/8" in the rear and 2 7/8" in the front and the only problems i ever run into are sharp driveways and large speedbumps. Besides they look badass slammed!
Old 06-13-2005, 09:39 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TheGeneral &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Cons

-Is it me (I'm on 5'9) or is it, no matter how high I tilt the steering wheel, my knees still hit.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Those are all subjective cons.
-front bumper i have not had a problem finding.
-Safety- then i guess you would be assured to die in an eg6 too, its really not much diff than a civic
-weight issue has been covered, see above
-i'm 6' tall and don't have issues with knees on the steering wheel, i must sit in a diff position than you.
Old 06-13-2005, 09:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Del Sol Pro's and Con's The official end all thread. (IHateJDM)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IHateJDM &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Those are all subjective cons.
-front bumper i have not had a problem finding.
-Safety- then i guess you would be assured to die in an eg6 too, its really not much diff than a civic
-weight issue has been covered, see above
-i'm 6' tall and don't have issues with knees on the steering wheel, i must sit in a diff position than you.</TD></TR></TABLE>

-The 96-97 is almost impossible to find
-If you get rear ended then it's lights out, there's practically nothing there to stop anything. You can modify the car to be more safe but out the factory you'd be in a world of pain (unfortunatley I've seen it happen)
-If the car is stripped butt naked then it wouldn't wiegh that much
-I guess you're right about the height thing, the majority of my body is leg and arm
Old 06-13-2005, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TheGeneral &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">-The 96-97 is almost impossible to find </TD></TR></TABLE>

makes it hurt just that much more when this happens

Old 06-13-2005, 10:04 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TheGeneral &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

-The 96-97 is almost impossible to find
-If you get rear ended then it's lights out, there's practically nothing there to stop anything. You can modify the car to be more safe but out the factory you'd be in a world of pain (unfortunatley I've seen it happen)
-If the car is stripped butt naked then it wouldn't wiegh that much
-I guess you're right about the height thing, the majority of my body is leg and arm </TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah, the bumper without aux lights is harder to find. I've been rear ended by an explorer going 10 mph. his bumper missed mine and hit above it. damage was not that bad, definitly not any worse than I would expect any lowered honda to have. you need to look on page 1 for the weight comparisons, it can vary by 250 lbs or so depending on year and trim model.
Old 06-13-2005, 10:09 AM

Default Re: Del Sol Pro's and Con's The official end all thread. (gots_a_sol)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rhdteg18 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have a 93 sol with a EG front end conversion it is underconstuction b/c the smart one that owned it before me "drifted" it into a median in the snow. I love the conversion and i love the car no complaints from me. </TD></TR></TABLE>

did you "drift" into a median too?? jk
Old 06-13-2005, 05:51 PM

-A lot of weight for such a small car

I don't know, I wouldn't get a Del Sol. If you gave it to me, I would sell it right away

EG6 </TD></TR></TABLE>

First off Im calling shenanigans on everything you said!
The front bumper is NOT hard to find call certifit you'll have one next day if not same day.
Once again pure crap, the car is built no different then a hatch or civic so why do you make ridicules comments like that?
The weight is covered in the first post under Curb weight read it again.
You obviously didn't have the wheel up all the way or were sitting to damned close or have midget legs. Im taller then you and HAVE never hit my legs on the column!

You obviously never owned one by your last comment, so leave your hate for the sols somewhere else.
Old 06-13-2005, 07:46 PM
amy

EG6 </TD></TR></TABLE>

I'd say OEM honda del sol bumpers are pretty tough to find, the ones on ebay suck and don't fit well at all, unless you're a body shop expert

Not true about getting hit, i slammed into a tree in mine and walked away with only a few scratches

As for your feet hitting the steering wheel, move the seat on back buddy

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike1114 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">They also are rather low to the ground to begin with, they can be lowered but its tuff driving...</TD></TR></TABLE>

I wouldn't say theyre tough to drive when they are lowered, mine is lowered 3" and it drives just fine, not too bouncy at all. It depends on your suspension set up.

and also, whoever is looking for a del sol, check the http://www.hondamarketplace.com site in the vehicles for sale section, you're better off looking there then in the technical part of the forum.
Old 06-13-2005, 08:30 PM
TSPeed Factory

Default Re: Del Sol Pro's and Con's The official end all thread. (amy del sol)

nic thread

here are my pros and cons after owning my del sol for 2 and a half years now:

pros:
-looks bad ***
-all/most civic and integra engine and suspenion brakes can be swapped over
-mine came pre-wired for vtec
-has rear locking compartments
-lots of trunk space
-head unit has the flip up lid
-came with a b16
-si and vtec models has more power options

cons:
-less aftermarket parts support from companies
-chicks do not dig the targa top (atleast the ones that have ridden in my car)
-top leaks
-if your top is off and your windows are rolled up completely and you shut the door the window gets caught ont he outside of the targa top and it flexes
-the ashtray lid seems to break on a lot of del sols

Old 06-13-2005, 08:37 PM

Default Re: Del Sol Pro's and Con's The official end all thread. (AzntaggeR)

here are my pros and cons after owning my del sol for 2 and a half years now:

pros:
-looks bad ***
-all/most civic and integra engine and suspenion brakes can be swapped over
-mine came pre-wired for vtec
-has rear locking compartments
-lots of trunk space
-head unit has the flip up lid
-came with a b16
-si and vtec models has more power options

pretty much all covered already. but thanks for agreaing with me the input is seriosly apreciated.

cons:
-less aftermarket parts support from companies
True

-chicks do not dig the targa top (atleast the ones that have ridden in my car)
Personal experience Ive had good luck with the targo top myself

-top leaks
True

-if your top is off and your windows are rolled up completely and you shut the door the window gets caught ont he outside of the targa top and it flexes
I think you ment if the top is on, and yes thats true it gets cougt on the outside guide if its not aligned just right. Not a bog deal tho

-the ashtray lid seems to break on a lot of del sols
meh I cant say either way on this one
Old 06-13-2005, 08:38 PM
amy

every person i know who owns a del sol has a broken ashtray lid
Old 06-13-2005, 08:43 PM

anybody in here has a h22a in the del sol? what's all this talk about it handling like ****? i want to know the real cons... that sticky on the main page is useless.
Old 06-13-2005, 09:31 PM

Default Re:

I just bought a Del Sol and am happy so far. I have noticed the body flex and a couple other things, my ashtray lid is fine except for the hole in the bottom! Anyway, I still have a couple questions...
How can you tell the difference in models? I have a 93 and the lady said it was an Si. What kind of things should I look for to determine engine model, pre-wired for VTEK, etc.?
Old 06-14-2005, 12:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

93 si will have rear discs a redline of about 7200 or so, and will have a d16z6, but WILL NOT say VTEC on the valve cover(most of the time)
Old 06-14-2005, 03:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Re: (nitestalker12)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nitestalker12 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I just bought a Del Sol and am happy so far. I have noticed the body flex and a couple other things, my ashtray lid is fine except for the hole in the bottom! Anyway, I still have a couple questions...
How can you tell the difference in models? I have a 93 and the lady said it was an Si. What kind of things should I look for to determine engine model, pre-wired for VTEK, etc.?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Make sure the block is stamped d16z6, look for rear discs, all del sols are pre-wired for vtec.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Del Sol Pro's and Con's The official end all thread.