Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Del Sol price, worth it or not ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2005, 04:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Del Sol price, worth it or not ?

Hello all,

Yes I'm a noob, and not very mechanically inclined(double yikes). Trying to tread softly so as not to get flamed lol.

I just agreed to purchase a 95 delsol automatic vtec, with 100k on odometer. The guy wants $2,800, and won't budge. He is supposedly a mechanic. The car has some aftermarket things done to it. I hope I am getting this right. There is a strut brace, a really nice pioneer cd system, with a nice sub in the trunk(forgot the brand). He replaced the stock seats with I think 97 acura seats(very comfy,whatever they are.) It has a 2way alarm/with remote start. He hooked up some kind of three slot 12v cigarrete lighter by the right leg drivers side(seems could come in handy.) The car runs very nice, very smooth, and quiet. Power everything. He has HID lights??? But for the price he is not including them. Can't get him to budge on this. As matter of fact, in order to drop the price he would remove other things. I can have the original seats, that came with the car(yipee). Could I sell these? How much ?

Sorry for the novel.
Thanks,
Joe
Old 12-09-2005, 05:13 PM

Default Re: Del Sol price, worth it or not ? (josephshark)

Pics? The mileage is pretty fair for a 95 Del Sol, what model is the Del Sol? I'm assuming an Si model with the D16Z6. If it has a clean title and no rust I assume that would be a pretty fair price. And yes, you could definately sell the stock seats that car came with. Depending on condition of the seats Del Sol seats usually go from 150-250. Good Luck on the buy.
Old 12-09-2005, 05:15 PM

good price...to bad it's not a 5spd
Old 12-09-2005, 05:19 PM

Default Re: Del Sol price, worth it or not ? (Rahxephon)

Automatic with a single cam....if I were you I wouldn't even consider buying it.
Old 12-09-2005, 05:22 PM

Thanks for the thums up. The body is sweet, no rust at all. The rear bumper has some scratches nothing major. The subwoofer is a 10" infiniti baselink, hooked up to pioneer cd player(don't know the model). It is si vtec model ? is this dohc motor ?
I initially wanted manual, but not really practical for me, at this time. Sweet looking car, If I get it as planned, this will be my first honda.

Joe
Old 12-09-2005, 05:26 PM

Default Re: Del Sol price, worth it or not ? (d15singlecammer)

Clean title, original miles. I wouldn't consider buying anything but a clean title car.
By the way, I'm not really looking to tune this car, maybe some minor bolt ons. I just need something really reliable, and love the cars style. Is this car as realible as other hondas ?

Joe
Old 12-09-2005, 05:29 PM

For a dohc it's a good price. at least for out here in michigan, we don't see too many del sols out here. If the guy is willing to drop the price for putting the del sol seats back in go for it those are sweet. welcome to honda
Old 12-09-2005, 05:34 PM

No DOCH VTEC Del Sol came auto, yeah Del Sols are really reliable cars. Great cars for daily driving if you don't need the rear seats. I believe the only complaints Del Sol owners have is a leaky targa top, correct me if I'm wrong Del Sol owners.
Old 12-09-2005, 06:16 PM

Speaking as someone who has owned an automatic d16 sol, I hope you don't ever plan it being even remotely quick. It'll move, but not fast. No, it's not the DOHC model. In the US, there's no such thing as an automatic DOHC del Sol. $2800 is an ok price for an auto. Most people want the manual tranny ones. And if I were you, I would pull the acura seats and put the del Sol seats back in. There's a reason that everyone and their brother wants del Sol seats. As far as OEM seats go, they are the closest to an aftermarket feel. They were made by recaro, and sit nice and low, and hold you in place amazingly well. If you want it, go for it. You won't be disappointed. It's a fun ride. I've owned 5 of them now. Everything from a little bone stock SOHC VTEC automatic to an imported JDM del Sol SiR with the big DOHC VTEC motor in it (RHD in the US sucks, by the way. I had to back up to ATMs... no fun!) If you want it, go for it, but it's slow. Painfully slow.
Old 12-09-2005, 06:18 PM

Also, if it's a native NY car, TAKE IT TO A BODY SHOP BEFORE YOU BUY! My current del Sol (the one in my sig, aka my showcar, aka the pain in the ***) was a NY car, and there is/was rust EVERYWHERE. It had actually eaten a hole in the rear quarter panel. Tell him you will buy, but only if you can take it and have a reputable body shop check it for rust first.
Old 12-09-2005, 06:24 PM

Default Re: (xPhantomSolx)

Thanks for the info, will look into the rust more. I figured this car is no speed demon, but i'm sure it will beat the hell outta of the 01 ram van 6 cyl i'm driving now lol. As a side, I got stuck with the stupid van just before I got home, on a slight icy incline. What a pain in the ***, took me ten minutes to get the thing out of there. Can't wait to have fwd again. I just need something really realiable, and that fact that it is soo damn cool is a major +
Joe
Old 12-09-2005, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (josephshark)

Del Sols are not fast, even with the DOHC. They're really fun cars to have when its remotly sunny cause u can take the top off (even in winter!!) and put it away in the trunk. I really like mine, and yes, it is a reliable car. And for winter, its a small cabin that heats up quickly, which is nice. Good luck.
Old 12-09-2005, 07:53 PM
* B A N N E D *

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

don't take the HIDs anyway, trust me on this, or PM me and ill tell you why.

With its good condition, assuming its accident free, thats a decent asking price, because del sols are in low demand (hell no one bought em in the first place.) If it is a Del Sol VTEC, then its got the B16 motor and wouldn't come with an automatic (someone back me up here). That guy is right about the speed. I have a 96 civic with a D16Y7 5 speed, but the del sol is for some reason much heavier than a civic. I will tell you however, my car is fun for me. It doesnt have to be fast, and since the del sol has the T-top, when the top is down you dont need it to be super fast. Its fun. Just take it to a good mecanic for a once over. Just FYI, his tower bar, sub, alarm, and 12v plugs do not make the blue book value go up.
Old 12-09-2005, 08:19 PM

Default Re: Del Sol price, worth it or not ? (Redline96LX)

I'm a Noob, and can't PM lol If you want to post your reason for the Hids not being good. I would like to hear.
Driving in the car was fun, can't wait to have it. Personally, the cool factor far outweighs any speed short comings. I was just looking on local parts store autozone(fav shop), and I see that the parts for this car are really cheap Hopefully I will be able to do any minor work necessary.

Joe
Old 12-13-2005, 12:54 PM

Hello all,

I got my del sol last night, on the road today. I love this little sucka. Fun to drive, a little getting used to from full size van to this. I'm 6'0 tall so just about have enough room. Hopefully, no problems will arise.

Joe
Old 12-13-2005, 12:56 PM

Congratulations have fun and be careful.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Del Sol price, worth it or not ? (d15singlecammer)

Congrats bro.. a buddy of mine is around 6' 2 and owns a del sol. kind of funny i think. oh yea maybe slapping the stock seats woulds give you a little more space.. since its lower than the teggy's.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:36 PM

del sol is a nice car i want one.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:40 PM

Thanks for

One thing, being i'm not mechanically inclined. I notice there is a vibration when pressing on brakes, more so when higher speeds. What sort of problem could this be ?

Thanks,
Joe
Old 12-13-2005, 01:47 PM
Imperious: Mod of Valor

Default Re: (xPhantomSolx)

The price seems a tad too high, but since he won't budge on it.. I'd say look around for other cars.