Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Del Sol - Practical daily driver and sufficient cargo space?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 09:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Del Sol - Practical daily driver and sufficient cargo space?

Looking at buying one. did my research on them, but never been in one or drove one. Are they practical cars for daily drivers being as they're 2 seaters? is there cargo space and trunk space for everyday neeeds?
Old 10-27-2010, 09:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Del Sol Owners!!

Originally Posted by ej6kid
Looking at buying one. did my research on them, but never been in one or drove one. Are they practical cars for daily drivers being as they're 2 seaters? is there cargo space and trunk space for everyday neeeds?
If you don't fill the trunk with every subwoofer you see on sale, you'll have plenty of room back there to put just about anything. I used to go camping with my Delsol every other weekend and I was able to bring everything I needed and a passenger.

It's all in how you pack your car.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So you're saying its pretty roomy huh lol, I dont do all that big bass and what not sound. i like my car simple. my trunk will mostly be filled with my briefcase like toolbox and some miscellaneous things.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea it's good on space and the back of the seats is good on adding more things lol
Old 10-27-2010, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i had a sol.. was one of the best cars i owned.. has a crapload of trunkspace if you dont take your ttop off.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If the top comes off. then what? you're trunk full? lol Im sure on road trips to and from the shore Ill take the top off and still need bags in the trunk
Old 10-27-2010, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm about 6' and think mine is pretty roomy plenty of head room, and leg room. The trunk space is HUGE, and the little "glove boxes" behind the seats come in handy a lot. Only thing I don't like the the ashtray next to the e-brake, it just feels like it's in an awkward spot. Even with the top in the trunk there is still a good amount of room.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:25 PM
Trial User

Yeah i have to agree, the trunk space is amazing. They are very practical daily drivers, but they are very tiny. very very tiny. Great gas though for commuting, but the two seats is a downer sometimes. Dont get me wrong, i love my sol, just in a social setting you can only fit one passenger.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:26 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by Mattdg67
I'm about 6' and think mine is pretty roomy plenty of head room, and leg room. The trunk space is HUGE, and the little "glove boxes" behind the seats come in handy a lot. Only thing I don't like the the ashtray next to the e-brake, it just feels like it's in an awkward spot. Even with the top in the trunk there is still a good amount of room.
lol the ash tray isn't the problem, its the cup holders practically back behind the seat.
Old 10-27-2010, 02:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Haha good deal yeah im not to worried about the social situations in my ek coupe now its really only me and my g.f and clothes and crap in the backseat i plan on boosting it after i buy it. boosted sohc=ftw! lol but i wasnt sure about all the room and space.
Old 10-27-2010, 02:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah when the t-tops get stored in the trunk you're **** out...but aside from that they're suprisingly roomy as far as trunk space. It's not like accord size but it seems like it would more than suit your needs.
Old 10-27-2010, 02:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah i would just need the trunk for small things and the tops when i take them off but with winter here who knowss how much theyll be off
Old 10-27-2010, 02:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tayssol93
lol the ash tray isn't the problem, its the cup holders practically back behind the seat.
What cup holders, lol, the little circle afterthought? You cant even put a cup there when stuff is in the tray.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Del Sol - Practical daily driver and sufficient cargo space?

Still a lot of room with the top in the trunk and yea cup holders are kinda uncomfortable but that's all I'd complain about and it's small so it fits everywere. Dels sols are one of those things You gotta try to see how it is. That's why I got mine lol nd now I want a eg hatch.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Mattdg67
What cup holders, lol, the little circle afterthought? You cant even put a cup there when stuff is in the tray.
I hate those "cupholders" they keep spilling my drank...
Old 10-28-2010, 12:54 AM
Sol to Sol

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got a cupholder that fits between the seat and the console to hold my cup. Its small enough that most people don't have a problem with it there.

I added a cargo net to the rear panel, and that helps hold a few things.

I'm also 6' tall and the room is great! My dad drove his for years every day for almost 100 miles a day and barely had a problem outside for a few problems that would happen to any car.

As for room when the T-top is stored in the trunk.. You can raise it just like the trunk lid and you will still have plenty of room underneath for storage. Not sure what some of the above were talking about.

Good luck, and make sure you get an Si or VTEC. They come with disc brakes all round, and better engines than the S models have. (generally speaking of course, and there are other differences in the models)
Old 10-28-2010, 04:31 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Even with the top in the trunk, you still have room. The top mounts to a piece that sits at the top of the trunk space, allowing you to use the room underneath it. Also, the top holder raises up if you need to get under it. Don't worry, Honda thought all this through before they put the Del Sol on the market. Cool little car.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

To top it off, great on gas.. Suggests VTEC or at the very least, SI.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

when I was shopping for a sol I was worried about the no back seats. Now that I have one I don't mind so much for a daily driver but it kinda sucks when you wanna just use one car when all your friends have 2 seaters too... (mr2, another sol, hatches, etc..)

Make sure you get vtec. Sohc or Dohc. Everyone gets SO surprised when they can fit comfortably in my car. Plus the trunk is ginormous compared to the car. Great car. great fuel mileage. great fun. GET ONE!!
Old 10-28-2010, 08:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've had my delly for a daily for about a year now and I havnt ran into any problems as far as room in the trunk goes. I fit my si trans in there before I swapped it from auto to manuel (have a s model) I also had a jack 2 jack stands 2 smallish toolboxes and my 8" bazooka tube the only issue I had was trying to put the top in the back with all that stuff in there and the only reason I couldn't do it was part of the linkage was still attatched to the trans and it got in the way.. I love everything about my sol. I see the 2 seats as a benifit because then you don't have to haul people around all the time LOL I would strongly recommend getting one
Old 10-28-2010, 08:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've had my delly for a daily for about a year now and I havnt ran into any problems as far as room in the trunk goes. I fit my si trans in there before I swapped it from auto to manuel (have a s model) I also had a jack 2 jack stands 2 smallish toolboxes and my 8" bazooka tube the only issue I had was trying to put the top in the back with all that stuff in there and the only reason I couldn't do it was part of the linkage was still attatched to the trans and it got in the way.. I love everything about my sol. I see the 2 seats as a benifit because then you don't have to haul people around all the time LOL I would strongly recommend getting one
Old 10-28-2010, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i used to think del sols were too small unless you are a small framed guy or a female. but thats not the case at all. they are surprisingly roomy even with 2 guys at/over 6ft and im not a tiny guy. either sit in one, or sit in a coupe and ignore the backseat, pretty much the same.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:18 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

they are surprisingly roomy even with 2 guys at/over 6ft and im not a tiny guy.
The thing is, is that the Del Sol combats height by stretching the body horizontally, which is why the leg room is ridiculous and the seats are so low.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah when the t-tops get stored in the trunk you're **** out...but aside from that they're suprisingly roomy as far as trunk space. It's not like accord size but it seems like it would more than suit your needs.
The top doesn't take that much space in the trunk. It only cuts down on the trunk "height". And with the top off, possibilities are even greater if you need to move bigger items.

Just don't be too bothered by the funny looks you may get at the store, and all the way home lol
Attached Images  
Old 10-28-2010, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by blaze_125
The top doesn't take that much space in the trunk. It only cuts down on the trunk "height". And with the top off, possibilities are even greater if you need to move bigger items.

Just don't be too bothered by the funny looks you may get at the store, and all the way home lol
I"VE DONE THAT BEFORE!!!

Quick Reply: Del Sol - Practical daily driver and sufficient cargo space?