Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Del Sol K20 swap?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 05:36 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Del Sol K20 swap?

Hi, I'm new to the forum here. I've decided to make an account because I'm planning on doing a K20 swap into a Del Sol. I do not have the car. Nor the engine or anything at this point. I'm basically doing all my research now instead of just jumping into the deep end. So I guess my initial questions are simply:

1. Is there a specific year or model Del Sol that's best for this kind of project?
2. Which K20 is best? I seen the type R is most expensive but likely the best, correct?
3. Will I need a custom wire harness for the job?
4. Will I need an aftermarket ECU or will the stock ECU for the K20 work?

let's start there. I appreciate all input and I know the b16 or 18 is cheaper. But I don't want that. This is a long term project. And I want to built it with the best of what I can the first time.
Old 06-10-2017, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 442 Likes on 384 Posts
Default Re: Del Sol K20 swap?

K20A.org .:. The K Series Source . Honda / Acura K20a k24a Engine Forum

^150% of everything you need to know there.
Old 06-11-2017, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

For the chassis try to get a del sol S. That's the base model weighs just about 2300. Yes to basically all your questions. And you should think about obtaining a k24 block then slap a k20 cylinder head on,
this will increase torque and displacement. Don't forget they're lots of write ups, searching or google will answer mostly all of your questions.
Old 06-11-2017, 11:59 AM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You aren't doing research, you're asking for information to be fed to you. At least show that you've put in a modicum of effort.
Old 06-11-2017, 02:00 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NotARaCist
You aren't doing research, you're asking for information to be fed to you. At least show that you've put in a modicum of effort.
im sorry you feel that way..... but the fact of the matter is i dont know all the "resources" of information that the typical person would whose done this before. i THOUGHT coming to a forum full of people who are knowledgeable with hondas would be a good place to start because i could talk to people and have discussions on whats best and what works and what doesnt.

however i do appreciate the others who are helping me in this topic!
Old 06-11-2017, 03:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by joshua deville
im sorry you feel that way..... but the fact of the matter is i dont know all the "resources" of information that the typical person would whose done this before. i THOUGHT coming to a forum full of people who are knowledgeable with hondas would be a good place to start because i could talk to people and have discussions on whats best and what works and what doesnt.

however i do appreciate the others who are helping me in this topic!
So.....Here you are, 2 posts deep and already finding your undies in a wad. NotARaCist "feels that way" because he is known to call it like he see's it (usually he is right). This case he is exactly right. I understand you are fresh off the tit and eager to do something, but YOU have to show us you are trying. Otherwise, who is really going to put effort into helping someone they don't know, work on a car they don't have? See where I'm headed here?

I do hope you enjoy your stay here though and learn all you can about it.

Now grow some thick skin and read the parts list in my signature. You'll want to follow the guidelines that go with an EG platform as most of it is identical to all the year models of the Del Sol. Which Del Sol you pick isn't going to matter as far at the model year. Different models such as an "S" or Si would make it heavier and/or add options. Otherwise just find a good bodied car and get to work, be it RESEARCH and physical labor.
Old 06-11-2017, 03:37 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You came to a place with numerous resources, and decided not to use any of them. There is a stickied FAQ thread, literally inches away from the new thread button. There are entire subforums dedicated to all-motor, swaps, hybrids, and everything else you might want to know. You quite clearly didn't read anything, and just came to us with your palms turned up. People have put a lot of time and effort into organizing, curating, and keeping updated all of this information made freely available to you. Show them some respect by at least trying before diving into asking basic questions. We ask this out of respect for us, for the people who have put this information together, and for the people who come searching for things and get inundated with 47 different posts asking the same basic questions. Help us help you.
Old 06-12-2017, 07:52 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Received 218 Likes on 196 Posts

K series swaps have been done since the early 2000's....nothing new to them. If you need us to hold your hand and walk you through the process, you are dreaming. Everyone and their grandma has access to the internet and searching for such information is not that difficult. You're just lazy.