Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Del Sol HID help

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2004, 11:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Del Sol HID help

OK, new here. I'm an active member of s2ki.com, since I have an s2000. I know how forums work. I've searched, and read all 31 pages of the HID FAQ on this site.

Anyways:

My gf just got a 93 del Sol, and we are looking to upgrade the lighting.
Now the facts:

-del Sol is h4 with glass(right?) lenses that aren't clear. Nobody makes aftermarket lenses, or headlights
-I bought a set of Audi projectors with all the HID componets.
-I have a set of civic Angeleye projector lights, minus the low beam projector (retro-fit to my brother streetbike) which are H3/H1 I believe
-Upgrade wiring harness for headlights that came with the Angeleyes
--------------------------------------------------------------
Now, I'm planning on retrofitting the Audi projectors into the del sol housings.
I also wanna to retain a high beam, and planning to take that from the angeleye headlights.

Questions:???
Will I be able to achieve a HID low, and halogen Hi beam with the headlight harness? Orginally the harness was for H4 <-to-> H3/H1
Or better just to stay with just the low-beam?

Will painting the housing to a darker color effect anything good or bad? Less reflections/glare? Less light output? (For instance S2ks have the dark grey/black housing)

I will have to build shrouds to cover the gap on the projectors?

How should I wire up this HID setup using the harness?
Old 09-27-2004, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Del Sol HID help (STooK02780)

Yes you will be able to accoplish this. Reason being that there is no HID high beam. Also you will have to do alot of modifaction though to acheive this. Possible adding a place to put the high beam bulb in.
Old 09-27-2004, 11:46 AM
H-T Poker champion

No... You can't have a high beam unless you get the high/low projectors. These projectors move a sheild inside of it to direct the light. Since the Del Sol is H4 there is only 1 spot for a bulb, and once there is a projector in that spot there wont be room for anything else.

No... Painting the housing wont do anything.. If you are using audi projectors then there shouldnt be any glare anyhow. If you painted the actual reflectors inside the headlight housing then it would completely destory all light output from your headlights.

I'm not sure what "shroud" you are talking about.. You will have to use some sort of means to secure the bulb/projector..
Old 09-27-2004, 11:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am NOT sure you will be able to fit the high beam relfector next to a projector in the del sol housings tho

another option would be to sell you audi projectors & get some audi (RS6) Bi-xenons (or Mercedes bi-xenons)<----this is the option I would go with, if it were my decision EDIT - Hatchy-Ownzjo0 beat me to it

I remember reading in the "HID thread" of del sol guys getting clear (non-flutted) custom del sol lenses (i think they may be all sold - but I am not sure) EDIT H-T user WrongWD said he was going to have a limited run of these lenses made out of lexan - PM him & ask if he can get more see thread here https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=721844
Old 09-27-2004, 01:08 PM

Default Re: Del Sol HID help (Hatchy-Ownzjo0)

Well the reason I asked about the painting of the housing was for glare reasons.
Being in a non-clear lense, and the fact of light be through the projector.

i'm thinkin:
If it were just a HID bulb in the housing, then i believe painting the chrome darker would effect light output since it depends on the chrome to reflect, but since the light is being projected out straight through a projector, any chrome would add reflections and glare. Or am I totally wrong?

I guess I'm gonna just do this trial and error with 1 headlight first. I'll probably just stick to the single low beam as well.
Old 09-27-2004, 01:25 PM
H-T Poker champion

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by STooK02780 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
i'm thinkin:
If it were just a HID bulb in the housing, then i believe painting the chrome darker would effect light output since it depends on the chrome to reflect, but since the light is being projected out straight through a projector, any chrome would add reflections and glare. Or am I totally wrong?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

There shouldnt be glare if the light is coming from a projector.. The way the bulbs are set up in a normal halogen housing is to AIM at the reflectors so that it can bounce off of them and aim/spread properly.. With a projector in there the light should be projected straight out of the headlight without hitting the reflectors at all.. If your beam is hitting them then something is wrong, and if you painted them and they no longer reflected light, then if your beam did hit them it would be absorbed.. therefore producing no light and you would crash and die a horrible death.
Old 09-28-2004, 03:35 PM

Default Re: Del Sol HID help (Hatchy-Ownzjo0)

ok can someone point out the wiring for me.

How do i wire this up?

The ballast have just the + yellow and brown - wires, how do i wire these to the harness directly, or do i need to add anything?
Old 09-28-2004, 05:41 PM
H-T Poker champion

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by STooK02780 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok can someone point out the wiring for me.

How do i wire this up?

The ballast have just the + yellow and brown - wires, how do i wire these to the harness directly, or do i need to add anything?</TD></TR></TABLE>

wire them directly to your headlight wires... there should be 3 headlight wires.. i think you dont use the green one.. that's the corner lights wire. just splice the other 2 wires into the wires from the balist.. you have to cut the wires that go into the plug, or pull them out and use connectors whatever.. bah.. i cant explain it.. sorry if you dont get it.