Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Del Sol- Engine Swaps

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 02:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Del Sol- Engine Swaps

I have a 94' Del Sol D15 aka POS IMO. Not to mention it has 155k+ so basically its not a good call to start adding some basic bolt on's to it.

So here's my delima I'm looking into what Engine would be best to put in my old Sol. I'm kind of leaning towards an H22 because I had previously a 94' Prelude and liked the power of the H22. But I've been talking to some people and they're trying to persuade me that an H22 is to heavy for the Del Sol's chassis and will lead to some severe handling issues, etc. Now I've read your fact and understand that the H22 isn't necessary that much heavier than my other options aka B-series. But I'm just wondering what is to come of my old Del Sol's handling if I do go for the H22.

Given the Del Sol's extremely small nature and the added power + that of some bolt on's would I experience a major loss in handling that I couldn't counter with some basic suspension mods? Also would there be a lot of shaking at higher speeds from the displaced power?

Old 09-16-2007, 02:47 PM

Default Re: Del Sol- Engine Swaps (Jerrod H)

del sols are heavy for what they are, with that being said you could go with a h22 and fix any handling issues using susspension upgrades.

any motor swap should have some kind of suspension mods(i think any car should if you are doing work to it)

with h22 you have a bigger motor but why not just go with a b series and throw some bolt ons on it? do a ls/vtech or a gsr or just an ls and then boost the ls...

imo: b series is where you should go, i haven't ever really had a hard time finding parts for mine
Old 09-16-2007, 02:59 PM

Default Re: Del Sol- Engine Swaps (mckrank313)

Yeah thats what I hear, but honestly being that its a Del Sol im kind of going for something a little different. Nowhere in the near future at least will I be boosting whatever engine I throw in the Del Sol. I'm going to just go for the engine swap and basic bolt ons, header, full exhaust, intake, then move on from there.

I mean Del Sol's are pretty rare as is, so a nice Tuned Del Sol will rock IMO, so I'm trying to do it different if is possible. But its nice to know that doing an H22 wont really throw it off balance to much.

I realize the potential out of the B-series is a lot better appreciate the sugguestion. I just see to many B-series swaps around here and anywhere for that matter it gets old.
Old 09-16-2007, 03:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do the H22 swap then. It's just a little more work. I like B series more.
Old 09-16-2007, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

uhhhh. yeah its not gunna throw anything off more than it would with an eg coupe
Old 09-16-2007, 03:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Del Sol- Engine Swaps (devney)

Whoever told you the H22 swap into your del sol caused server handling issues lied to you. Probably just a tool from around.

The H22 is only ~50lbs more than a B series if I remember correctly. Also, since everybody was bitching about the handling being lower, I took the liberty of testing my friend's H22 swapped Eh2 into corners. On the road, everything is fine, I didn't push it to the limit into turns, but in terms of "regular" driving - it felt fine. Also, I did some things in a parking lot where I saw how tight of a circle I could make with it - the car DID slide a bit when I hammered on it in 1st gear with the steering wheel all the way to one side (note I was already moving) - but the difference between that and when I did it with the B7 was negligible.

Maybe, if you autoX and **** every day you'd be a lil more iffy about the H22's weight, but in terms of daily driving with an occasional track day - it's fine.

Don't worry about the weight - it's really a small deal. Worry about keeping your PS and AC .

Old 09-16-2007, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Del Sol- Engine Swaps (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Don't worry about the weight - it's really a small deal. Worry about keeping your PS and AC .

</TD></TR></TABLE>

uuugh i got the eg1 del sol S model

which came with AC!...but no P/S