Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Del Sol..... Eibach vs. Tein springs...which is better?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 10:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Del Sol..... Eibach vs. Tein springs...which is better?

Eibach vs. Tein

I have 1993 Del sol and I am planning to lower it soon.
I was just wondering how many inches in the front and back these springs will lower. Also, I am planning to stay stock on my shocks/struts.
I am not going to install any camber kit and hopefully I don't have to deal with any uneven tire wears.
Which one is better for daily driving?
I just want something that requires no maintanance but get rid of that ugly fender gap as much as I can.
Thanks.

It will be nice if you can upload some profile pics...
Old 12-09-2008, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

2.5 in the front and 2.0 in the back... I would go with the teins.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i second the tein the eibach is alright just for looks but thier not as performance oriented as they say but the teins are an all around spring if your only going with the s techs but if your going with the full coilover thier even better
Old 12-09-2008, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have full Tein SS package and I LOVE it. (00 EM1)
Old 12-09-2008, 08:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

How many inches (drop) with Tein springs and do I need to install camber kits?
Old 12-09-2008, 08:21 PM

tein all the way, I have them on my 96 ex.
Here is a before and after shot of the Tein. Its about 1.5 drop.
Attached Images   
Old 12-10-2008, 06:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 1slowcivic
tein all the way, I have them on my 96 ex.
Here is a before and after shot of the Tein. Its about 1.5 drop.

Thanks for your pictures!!

Hmm..they look about the same from that camera angle...
Old 12-10-2008, 06:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jena_blondie
Eibach vs. Tein

I have 1993 Del sol and I am planning to lower it soon.
I was just wondering how many inches in the front and back these springs will lower. Also, I am planning to stay stock on my shocks/struts.
I am not going to install any camber kit and hopefully I don't have to deal with any uneven tire wears.
Which one is better for daily driving?
I just want something that requires no maintanance but get rid of that ugly fender gap as much as I can.
Thanks.

It will be nice if you can upload some profile pics...

honestly id save up and get coilovers, the best upgrade i made on my 95 coupe so far. i just need a swap now.
Old 12-10-2008, 06:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

also cant really cheap out on the suspension dont mean to be rude but it can save u money then riding around with just spring and have a bouncy ride due to struts blowing out
Old 12-10-2008, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by jena_blondie
Thanks for your pictures!!

Hmm..they look about the same from that camera angle...
It went from 4 fingers to 2. The ride is stiffer, but not bouncy. I would call it very sporty. It really only drops you down 1.5" but it looks really good. I only rub when turning and hitting a dip at faster than normal speeds.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

tein most definately.....i bought these a year ago....looks agressive and handles pretty good and its a hell of a smooth ride...not to mention i put in like 3 people in the car that weigh 250lbs or more and it still feels good...and im rolling on stock shocks/struts
Old 12-10-2008, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would say Teins. Also if you decide to go with the Teins I have a brand new set of Teins S-tech at my house for a 92-95 civic hatchback but they would be able to fit your Del Sol if you are interested.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:58 AM

One thing to consider is the spring rates on both of them. To me thats more important than a brand name. The higher the spring rate the stiffer it will be. That can be good for the track but not always the street if you want a nice daily still. The factory spring rates are around 3k (165 in/lb) Front and 1.4k (80 in/lb) Rear. The Tein S Tech's are
Front - 3.8k (212 in/lb) Rear - 2.5k (140 in/lb). I don't know what the Eibach's are, you'll have to check.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:21 AM

Eibach Pro's are progressive rate springs so any number you find will just be an estimate. I can tell you that they are much stiffer then the Tein S-Techs.

If you lower your car then you will have to get some kind of camber kit if you want your tires to last of cause you might be able to get away without it but the only way to know for sure is install your springs and ask the alignment place.
Old 12-10-2008, 01:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would get H&R. But if you strictly want either Eibach or Tein, get Eibach.
Old 12-10-2008, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

tein.
Old 12-10-2008, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Eibach but prefer H&R much stiffer than TEIN
Old 12-10-2008, 02:30 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by matt_honda95
honestly id save up and get coilovers, the best upgrade i made on my 95 coupe so far. i just need a swap now.
Why?

What did the OP say about his car that would prompt you to think he needed coilovers? Why spend money on something you don't need? Especially when buying a NICE set of springs costs much less than buying a SHITTY set of coilovers?

OP: From what I've experienced and heard, the S techs are kind of...squishy to the point where the car feels like it's wallowing around.

I have Eibach Sportlines on my EM1. It's my DD. I didn't want coilovers because I don't need that for a DD. I also don't want the ride quality that comes with most full coilovers for civics for my DD. I wanted a soft riding car that was firm enough to have fun with.

I would recommend the Eibachs. I am giving you a recommendation with a REASONING behind it. Beware of people that are just yelling out names of **** they think you should buy. They probably have no idea what they're talking about.

The sportlines I bought were supposed to only lower the car around 1.6''. I think that's the minimum drop. It dropped mine 2.5'' or so. I think this is because the heaviest coupe (EM1) weighs a good 600-700 or so LBS more than the lightest hatchbox (92-95 CX).

So they figure it would drop a very light car like a 92 CX around 1.6''.

A del sol is somewhere in between that. So figure it will drop your Del Sol around 2'' or so.

You shouldn't need camber kits. Just go get the toe aligned. My EM1 ended up with around 3 deg. of negative camber in the rear.

That's a bit much to do anything good with. So I bought a $32 ebay camber kit for the rear to put it around 2 degrees or so. 2 deg. won't cause any uneven wear with a good toe alignment.

The 3 degrees probably won't cause any uneven wear either....but it's a bit much to do anything good.

My fronts only had about 1.5 deg of neg. camber. I replaced the UCAs with aftermarket (OEM style) UCAs since my ball joints were worn. So ....iduno if they're of a slightly different geometry. Either way....it worked out.

I'd use some soft springs coupled with some good quality but non agressive shocks (or adjustable shocks). The stock ones will work fine as long as they're in good shape.

Get some swaybars if you want the car to roll less. I have the stock 26mm em1 front bar and a 22mm ITR rear bar. The car rides pretty much like stock...but with a really nice amount of roll stiffness because of the bars.

If you want a NICE set of coilovers that is worth spending money on....get ready to open your wallet wide.
Old 12-10-2008, 03:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'd role with what B serious said. But its up to you. I had a set of S. Techs, which are not bad for the price, and decent ride quality. I recently bought some F2, and I enjoy those as well. I prefer a lower aggressive look. Never had Eibach springs, but S. Techs are a decent set of springs for a DD.
Old 12-10-2008, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow..B Serioius is so serious..lol.
I like men that are serious about their cars.. points well taken..Thanks.
Old 12-11-2008, 02:25 PM

^ I'm never serious about anything....but...since you "like men that are serious about their cars".....pics? nude ones?? You're not a guy, right?? Cuz that's not how I roll...

Anyway...my Eibachs lowered my EM1 to have no wheel gap between the fenders. It's a little on the low side for me as far as my DD is concerned. I have my S2000 on KW V3s so I vowed not to lower my EM1.

That lasted until I found a 22mm ITR bar for $20. :sigh:...then I lowered my EM1 lol.

I was hoping for a conservative drop. The car looks good, but now I have to slow down for bumps which is totally wack. I really like driving the car, though. It's just annoying to have 2 cars that you have to slow down for bumps for, have to take speed bumps sidways for, etc. Most of the cars I've owned (7 out of 10) were lowered.

Damn the temptation of lowering/modding cars. I was so determined not to mod/lower my EM1 when I bought it. It had I/H/E when I bought it. It now has a different exhaust, ITR intake manifold, springs, shocks, ITR bar, beaks kit, CTR boot, CTR replica ****, omni or blox (can't remember) LCAs (my shocks were frozen to the stock ones), headunit..and I'm sure some other stuff too. I guess I lost that resolution...

Damn..
Old 12-17-2008, 08:52 PM

i slammed my 93 sol on skunk2 coil overs 1/4 in away from tucking 13in steely's and it rides good and handles like a awd id go skunk2
Old 12-17-2008, 08:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

tien"s
Old 12-17-2008, 08:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jdmsinglecamdelsol
i slammed my 93 sol on skunk2 coil overs 1/4 in away from tucking 13in steely's and it rides good and handles like a awd id go skunk2
I doubt that
Old 12-18-2008, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by jdmsinglecamdelsol
What does that even mean? What does AWD itself have to do with the actual handling of a car? A Toyota Highlander is AWD...I hope your car doesn't handle like that.

Originally Posted by trustdestruction
I doubt that
Why? Everyone's too hyped up about "AWD handling".

Quick Reply: Del Sol..... Eibach vs. Tein springs...which is better?