Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Del Sol Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 06:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon5 Del Sol Coilovers

Hey all,

I am sure this question has been asked, and searching the threads I have found a bunch of different answers but I will throw it out there anyway. I have a 95 Del Sol that I am looking to keep my newly rebuilt engine pretty stock. I am interested in putting a better suspension setup to reduce the large amount of wheel gap from the stock suspension. This car will be used for an additional car nice weather driver, with the occasional autocross competition. I recall a wicked amount of body roll with the stock suspension, hopefully this can be reduced.

So there is the question. I have heard a lot of good/bad things of different brands and spring rates (350/350?), but what would work best for my scenario? I do not want to put crap parts on my car, nor am I looking for this thing to be a professional performance machine. What is a good middle of the road suspension setup that is tried and true that I can still travel with the car, but with a few adjustments, take it to the autocross track and have a blast with it?

Thanks in advance all, the knowledge on this site is a great resource.
Old 08-07-2017, 11:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: Del Sol Coilovers

This really comes down to driver preference.

Do you like a stiff ride or soft? Me? I like stiff, why? Because I believe it accommodates best for my driving style.

Best thing I ever did was get function and form type 2 coilovers. These will give a great improvement over stock and come 32 way adjustable. I remember driving in some cities with rougher roads and having to pull over to adjust it to ride softer in which it did by just turning the adjustment *****. That's pretty jdm if you ask me.

In which people say the ***** don't work, but have they even had a pair? The front springs are 12k, 650lbs Springs? Youre gonna feel something change because they're so stiff it's impossible not to.

Anyways buy the coilovers you want! As long as you stay away from eBay off brands you'll be fine.

​​​​​​
Old 08-08-2017, 04:27 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

What's your budget?
Old 08-08-2017, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the response guys. I haven't heard of the Function and Form coilovers yet, but after looking at their website they seem like a quality part. How have they held up over time? Have you gotten to autocross the car to see how they handle that type of abuse? I am definitely looking into them and will check out some more reviews.

My budget I think will be around 1k.
Old 08-08-2017, 11:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I never tracked them but that doesn't mean I haven't pushed them to their limits. They ride great, but remember that's IMO. Let's put it this way maxed out height on all 4 coils even with preload to go lower rode great and took hard bumps wel

These are just coilovers they aren't going to magically turn the suspension to track ready, but they are defiantly one of the supporting mods that help do so.

1k isn't going to help much if I were you I would just get the type 1s, alignment, tires if you need them and save your money to be honest.

Function and form has great customer service and come with a warranty if you don't preload your coilovers and something ever goes wrong they will replace them for you in a heartbeat.
Old 08-08-2017, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by White_EG1
I never tracked them but that doesn't mean I haven't pushed them to their limits. They ride great, but remember that's IMO. Let's put it this way maxed out height on all 4 coils even with preload to go lower rode great and took hard bumps wel

These are just coilovers they aren't going to magically turn the suspension to track ready, but they are defiantly one of the supporting mods that help do so.

1k isn't going to help much if I were you I would just get the type 1s, alignment, tires if you need them and save your money to be honest.

Function and form has great customer service and come with a warranty if you don't preload your coilovers and something ever goes wrong they will replace them for you in a heartbeat.
Thanks again White_EG1, I appreciate your opinion on the coilovers. I haven't read too much that point toward a crappy product. I definitely knew that I did not want to go with something like a Skunk brand, but knew I was not willing to go with a KONI setup. For me, this is a fun car that I will drive on the street more times than I track it. As long as the coilovers provide a bit more adjustment and performance over the stock springs and struts, then I will be a happy camper. These seem like a quality "middle of the road" component that I can always upgrade from if I choose to do so. Looking to pair the new suspension with a nice set of wheels and summer performance tires.
Old 08-08-2017, 12:47 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I was going to say, for 1K.. the good ol classic Koni/GC works.

But White_EG1 has a good point. FF coilovers + tires + good alignment and you're pretty much golden for the use you want.