Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Del Sol Automatic Targa Top....Thingy

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2005, 06:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Del Sol Automatic Targa Top....Thingy

All:

My friend (who lived in Japan for a number of years) has told me that in Japan, the del Sol's targa top automatically stowed. I've seen at least one grey market car (by the way, has anyone settled on the proper spelling of grey...is it grey or gray.....), but I haven't seen any ads or threads on this topic (or I used the wrong search term and got no results).

I am thinking of modifying my del Sol and thought this would be a nice touch, if it's possible and reasonably cost-effective.

Have you heard of this, and would I have to go to Japan to get it? Travel is not too much of a problem since I travel a bit, but it would be nice if I could just obtain one here in the U.S. from someone who does this type of thing.

Medite
Old 10-09-2005, 06:37 PM

Default Re: Del Sol Automatic Targa Top....Thingy (Medite)

yea its the Trans top in the JDM del sol. My guess it would take a lot of cash to do that to a usdm del sol, but would be f**kin cool if done tho.
Old 10-09-2005, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Seen it on ebay but sellers always say its sold AS IS they don't assure you it's working..

Heard you need to have a small ecu that controls the mecanism and that the wiring is pretty much imposible to do UNLESS you have all the diagrams of the system..

If you don't find it on ebay make a search on google independent companies also offer the transtop system, I've seen some sites that sell the hole rear section of the car.. :D

http://cgi.ebay.com/Honda-CRX-...wItem

There is the ecu..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...ZWD1V

There is the decal in case you give up you can always be a poser and put the sticker on and say you did the conversion
Old 10-09-2005, 07:52 PM

Default Re: (RUM_ACCORD_H22)

dont even think about wasting that money on a del sol..... if you cant handle taking the top off manually then you shouldnt have bought that piece of ****... they obviously have automatic targa tops in japan because they are so short they can't do it themselves.... you guys suck get a new car and stop wasting threads on your del sol... del sol=confused civic (it wants to have a *****, yet it cant seem to find one)
Old 10-09-2005, 07:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (B18CR_EJ2)

Ok i have a del sol and that was just wrong... i love my del sol...
Old 10-09-2005, 07:59 PM
Bounty - € 8,000,000

Default Re: (jonathan13)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18CR_EJ2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dont even think about wasting that money on a del sol..... if you cant handle taking the top off manually then you shouldnt have bought that piece of ****... they obviously have automatic targa tops in japan because they are so short they can't do it themselves.... you guys suck get a new car and stop wasting threads on your del sol... del sol=confused civic (it wants to have a *****, yet it cant seem to find one)</TD></TR></TABLE>

Wow.. Someone with an econobox trying to flame another econobox owner... cool
Old 10-09-2005, 08:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18CR_EJ2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dont even think about wasting that money on a del sol..... if you cant handle taking the top off manually then you shouldnt have bought that piece of ****... they obviously have automatic targa tops in japan because they are so short they can't do it themselves.... you guys suck get a new car and stop wasting threads on your del sol... del sol=confused civic (it wants to have a *****, yet it cant seem to find one)</TD></TR></TABLE>

pls ban
Old 10-09-2005, 08:39 PM

this guy's comedy. thats like a supra owner sayin a ****** honda is a POS for whatever reason or another. you retard, a del sol is a civic yes, is it confused??? no...its just the blacksheep of the family. Its ok though, some guys just dont realise that del sols can do EVERYTHING a civic/crx/integra can do and THEN SOME!

About the transtop, yes you would need all the diagrams, no it isn't worth the time or money, and yes its friggin expensive to buy and maintain. those things(from what i hear from other sol owners) always break or have some kinda malfunction. Hit up http://www.hondavision.com and make an account. Thats where http://www.teamdelsol.com holds their main forum. most things could be answered there about del sols and will be more definate answers.
Old 10-09-2005, 08:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would've handed you your *** with my old Sol. Many others on here that can do the same. Slow your role numb .nuts
Old 10-09-2005, 09:42 PM

You need to STFU, my sol will hand you your *** on the street bitch.
Old 10-09-2005, 09:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the trans top on the sol is the ****. but honestly if you want it its cheaper to find a jdm sol and but it. ive seen a couple of places that can do it for you average charge around 6500. kit includes replacement of trunk, targa, trunk interior, car interior, h-beam and wiring of course
Old 10-09-2005, 09:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

http://www.honda.co.jp/HDTV/Mo....html

Old 10-09-2005, 10:02 PM

Default Re: (S2K NUB)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by S2K NUB &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I would've handed you your *** with my old Sol. Many others on here that can do the same. Slow your role numb .nuts</TD></TR></TABLE>

well you got a nice motor..expensive motor..with nice sounding expensive parts that can be beat out by other ones..but it was still in the lesbian mobile..and this guy could build something that would show all you **** up
Old 10-09-2005, 10:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have a del sol transtop rhd from japan. its going to the paint shop pretty soon for a new coat of milano red. swap is almost in and ready to run.
Old 10-10-2005, 07:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It's called the TransTop. It was a ~$7000 dealer-installed option for Japan CRXs. It'll cost at least that to get all the parts & get it working on a US Del Sol. Last guy I heard who got one working spent over $10K on the project. They are unreliable (for a Honda product) and require a lot of maintenance to keep working.

In my opinion they're not worth all the pain & cash.

BTW, why do closet homosexuals run around calling everyone else gay?
Old 10-10-2005, 07:19 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Del Sol Automatic Targa Top....Thingy (MonkeyBoy668)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MonkeyBoy668 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
BTW, why do closet homosexuals run around calling everyone else gay?</TD></TR></TABLE>

he's just pissed his parents won't pay for his sex change.

the trans top will weigh down the sol. IMO, its not worth being slower.
Old 10-10-2005, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It looks like someone was dumped by his chick and he saw her driving off mooning him out of a del Sol without the targa on..

CONFUSED?? What are you talking about my 87 CRX, 91 CRX SI and my del Sol all say on my pink slip HONDA/CRX/DELSOL ALL THREE OF THEM.. HONDA BUILT IT THIS WAY.. SO **** OFF

Old 10-10-2005, 01:08 PM
david

Default Re: (RUM_ACCORD_H22)

everybody with a del sol is in here getting crazy now... LoL. hey people, post pictures of the del sols. i got 1 by the way.
Old 10-10-2005, 01:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: With my POS D15B2, Whereever whenever, United States
Default Re: (david)

It's not cost effective, but if you know what you're doing and have the money, WTFN?
Old 10-10-2005, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Del Sol Automatic Targa Top....Thingy (Del Sizzle)

I hav a JDM del sol but d transtop doesnt work hehe the motor died and im gonna hav to get a new 1. im waitin for d part to get here but it'll be worth it.. its jus no nice to look at..
Old 10-10-2005, 08:22 PM
amy

Default Re: Del Sol Automatic Targa Top....Thingy (Delsolburger)

personally I think it sounds like too much of a hassle if your car doesn't already have it

lol you need a life guy
Old 10-10-2005, 09:22 PM

Default Re: Del Sol Automatic Targa Top....Thingy

All:

Just got back from work to...the flame war...AND alot of great information on the top. Thanks to everyone who responded on this.

The combination of expense and unreliability is discouraging, but what puts it out of reach is the weight issue. I am a former Volkswagen enthusiast (Ghia with a 1641cc dual port) and know how important weight is for smaller, import cars.

But a HUUUUUGE thanks to Del Sizzle for showing me what my friend was talking about and what I've been thinking about for the past few weeks. I called my wife over to take a look at it and she loved it...even though there was no way in hell she was going to let me spend $7k for it.

Medite
Old 10-10-2005, 09:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its a nice option to have but it tends to break down a lot. Honda uses a plastic gear that wears n' tears pretty quick, the aftermarket metal gear replacement can be had from a manufacturer in China...

Old 10-11-2005, 03:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Medite &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I am a former Volkswagen enthusiast (Ghia with a 1641cc dual port) and know how important weight is for smaller, import cars.</TD></TR></TABLE>
From what I've gathered the Transtop adds 200-300lbs. Nothing to sneeze at, but US Sols aren't a light beasts by any stretch of the imagination, weighing in between 2400 & 2800lbs. If you drive around with a really heavyset guy as a passenger you can get an idea of how the car will respond with you alone + Transtop.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DELSOLEMITE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Honda uses a plastic gear that wears n' tears pretty quick, the aftermarket metal gear replacement can be had from a manufacturer in China...</TD></TR></TABLE>
Holy crap, some folks find a market for everything. A low-selling option for a low-selling car has an aftermarket replacement part. That's freakin' awesome...
Old 10-11-2005, 04:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (chrisgags13)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chrisgags13 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

well you got a nice motor..expensive motor..with nice sounding expensive parts that can be beat out by other ones..but it was still in the lesbian mobile..and this guy could build something that would show all you **** up</TD></TR></TABLE>
your a ***!!! you need to get banned ASAP!!! another worthless post by Chrisgagsonbigpenis.

by the way the transtop although cool is just too expensive and not realiable enough to do the swap. Do you have any idea how much all of that crap has got to weigh?

Quick Reply: Del Sol Automatic Targa Top....Thingy