Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Definition: CV Halfshafts, Axles, etc..

Old 04-12-2003, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Definition: CV Halfshafts, Axles, etc..

Ok.. Its the first time I'm replacing an axle.
I have a 1990 Civic Si. I want to replace the driver side axle assembly because the CV is clicking when I turn left. I also found out that when I squeeze the boot (closer to the transmission) I can hear air come out.

I'm going to autozone for a new one and searched their website. The only thing I could find is CV Halfshaft. Is that what I'm looking for?
Is the Axle Assembly the same as a CV Halfshaft?
Old 04-12-2003, 06:54 PM

Default Re: Definition: CV Halfshafts, Axles, etc.. (arren123)

I think you want to replace your right axle if you hear clicking when you turn to the left. Just go to the place and tell them you need an axle. It should come to somewhere around $70 after you bring back your old one.
Old 04-12-2003, 07:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by arren123 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok.. Its the first time I'm replacing an axle.
I have a 1990 Civic Si. I want to replace the driver side axle assembly because the CV is clicking when I turn left. I also found out that when I squeeze the boot (closer to the transmission) I can hear air come out.

I'm going to autozone for a new one and searched their website. The only thing I could find is CV Halfshaft. Is that what I'm looking for?
Is the Axle Assembly the same as a CV Halfshaft?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes that is the correct part. Make certain which side has the bad joint. Is there any indications such as grease sprayed out all around one certain joint, or broken or torn boots or anything? You should also be able to tell if there is too much freeplay in any one joint.
Old 04-12-2003, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Definition: CV Halfshafts, Axles, etc.. (boostsohfast)

I'm not really sure if its the right axle that needs to be replaced because both boots on the right axle are dry and look like in good shape. I don't see grease anywhere.

The driver side axle has a little bit of grease at the edge of the boot, but I'm not sure if its just old oil and dirt caked up on the axle. To me, the left side looks more suspect to be worn out. I'm guessing you shouldn't hear air come out of the boot if you squeeze it hard, right?

The boots on all the joints look to be intact (i.e. not torn)
Old 04-13-2003, 12:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok.. I got the new driver side CV Halfshaft in..
It was a b*tch to pop in the new one. No matter how hard I tried, it wouldn't pop in. I finally took my big rubber mallet and pounded on the end until it popped in..
Was that the right way to do it? Or is there a better trick?

I took a test drive and no more clicking
However, on one left turn i heard a very fient clicking from the right side of the car. So I'll probably have to replace the side down the line..

Oh yeah.. I went to Autozone and borrow their specialized tool, the Pitman Arm puller. Popping the lower ball joint was a snap!