Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

DEFCON 1 Water pump replacement problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 10:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 DEFCON 1 Water pump replacement problems

Let me preclude this with I am a woman and I don't know much about cars, but my dad was a mechanic so I know a little bit from growing up around it.

I have a 1999 LX 1.6L automatic

It started overheating on me a few weeks ago, long story short, the water pump needed to be replaced. So we bought the water pump and timing belt kit.

Got all of the stuff off to get to it and on the last bolt it broke off in the hole....it gets better, just keep reading. The person who was working on my car has replaced a timing belt/water pump on a civic before. So we get a friend who is a "legitimate" mechanic who tells us to buy an angled drill and drill the bolt out. He did it the next day and got the bolt out, he said he was "cleaning up the threads with a tap" and the tap broke off in the hole.

So the "legitimate" mechanic comes out today and looks at it and says to put the new water pump on and use the 3 bolts that are good and to silicone the water pump where the stuck tap is.

What do I do? We're kind of in a really crappy situation right now. 2 weeks ago my fiance's Jeep spun a bearing and we aren't driving it right now for fear of throwing a rod. Then my car started over heating and we replaced a leaking hose then the water pump started leaking (or that's what we thought because it was leaking on the drivers side). We don't really have a lot of money to pull the motor and take it to a machine shop. That's not very feasible, I don't think...I don't know...I just don't know what to do.

Can anyone offer some advice?
Old 09-08-2014, 03:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: DEFCON 1 Water pump replacement problems

Sorry to hear about your current problems. If it was my engine, I would try every way possible to get that broken tap off. If it's a cheap unit, you can get some good quality drill bits and drill it out and retap it with a better tap.

If you need the car right now, then get some hondabond and use that to seal the pump in place. Not the correct way to do this, but it may hold long enough to help you get your other car situated.
Old 09-08-2014, 03:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that seem like a lot of resistance to break a tap like that, usually should have no resistance.
anyway, maybe you can take out the tap using a needle nose plyers, since taps has relief grooves in the sides, or you can find a cheap short block. $150 or less. or even a $200 long block. but since you have help pull the engine and it should be easier to remove.
Old 09-08-2014, 05:07 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

They do make tap extractors: http://www.waltontools.com/products/extractr.htm
Old 09-08-2014, 10:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, since his dad messed it up, I'm going to tell him about the tap extractors.

If we get the tap out, what would we need to do? Would we need to re-tap it? I don't know how taps work so I have no idea what to do, but if someone tells me, I can tell him and he probably will know what you're talking about.
Old 09-09-2014, 03:00 AM
Stancetard Hate Monger

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

tap/rethread the hole and you should be good to go. fyi: being a girl is never a valid excuse for mechanical jagaloonery, a solid 90% of the men on here struggle tying their shoes. you're ahead of the curve tackling a water pump.
Old 09-11-2014, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by eghatch9295
tap/rethread the hole and you should be good to go. fyi: being a girl is never a valid excuse for mechanical jagaloonery, a solid 90% of the men on here struggle tying their shoes. you're ahead of the curve tackling a water pump.
I didn't know a lot of men struggled with that problem! HAHA.

I am going to try to get a tap remover