Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Dealing with Rust, and Old Cars........

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2003, 04:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dealing with Rust, and Old Cars........

I haven't been into cars that long. I am only 18 and since the lincense went in my hand I have been hooked. Once i bought my honda, every chance i get I put stuff into it. Recently though I have started the dirty work, the suspension. It is a 93 and it is one heaping pile of **** under there. I am soo pissed off right now. I don't think there is anything more discouraging, than laying in an old garage, and workin on a car for a week on and off, to only realize the extra bullshit I have to go through. I have to now drill out a 4 in. bolt that has welded itself to the inside of my rear strut, and I am no mechanic, I am just learning, so I have no lift, its just me and my hydraulic jack. These times get very discouraging when a 2 hour at most , install takes days becuase of parts i need and such. I am just very pissed right now becuase i still wont have a car for a few days and I feel like I can never accomplish one project on my own w/o needing the aid of someone with a press or special part. Does it get better? Do things get easier? I just want to know what everyone else thinks about this kind of stuff. Maybe i chose the wrong hobby.
Old 06-09-2003, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Dealing with Rust, and Old Cars........ (mOuse)

"Everybody wants to be a racer untill their car breaks."

Not to discourage you, but yes working on cars does suck. I have found that nothing goes smoothly. I've had the same problems you're having with those bolts on the LCA. I had to drill through them. I'm scared to take off my LCA because of that first bolt on there.

last qoute: "Anything worth doing is going to be difficult."
Old 06-09-2003, 04:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

very true
Old 06-09-2003, 05:05 PM

Default Re: (mOuse)

You cant expect everything to go your way especially with cars. Just keep at it keep learning and enjoy the experience.
Old 06-09-2003, 05:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mOuse)

well i'm no stranger to working on rusty cars, but the only nuts and bolts o've had to cut or drill have been on the exhaust system. Some good tools are all i've needed; and nice big breaker bar and some GOOD quality 1/2 sockets take car of my needs. You'll strip a slightly rusted bolt head pretty quick if you use cheap tools

d
Old 06-09-2003, 07:29 PM

WEll guess what...i just started out with the suspension...and the freaken bolts snap.. both of them...I spent hours and days....drilling and finding the right tools to drill some more..but....and spent more hours and days...and u know what...the solution is...take it to a small shop (NOT DEALERS: Especially NOT HONDA)...anyways..tell them to change the bushings for the broken bolts...along with getting new bolts...cost about $20 for each bushing...I think it saves time and money....but most of all TIME..don't waste your time.that's what I did finallly after trying to drill out 2 bolts that only went 1/4 ways..for almost 2 weeks.
Old 06-09-2003, 07:52 PM

Default Re: Dealing with Rust, and Old Cars........ (mOuse)

breaking stuff is part of the fun. next time get a propane torch and heat up the bolt before you try to turn it. Before you bolt everything back up put some lube on the bolts.