Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

The dealer told I would need a transponder aswell as a new fob, is this right enough?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 09:42 AM
Axl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The dealer told I would need a transponder aswell as a new fob, is this right enough?

What it is, I have a 98' 1.8Vti and didnt get any fob with it (been using key's) but I want to get one. I phoned a dealer yesterday with my chassis number ect, he gave me the price for the fob. But one told me that all I do is buy it (it's allready programmed) and I just use it and thats that....then.

This other guy said I would prob need this transponder (if thats the right word for it) and it WOULD need programmed. Is this right enough, or am I being told lie's!
Old 08-02-2008, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: The dealer told I would need a transponder aswell as a new fob, is this right enough? (Axl)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Axl &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What it is, I have a 98' 1.8Vti and didnt get any fob with it (been using key's) but I want to get one. I phoned a dealer yesterday with my chassis number ect, he gave me the price for the fob. But one told me that all I do is buy it (it's allready programmed) and I just use it and thats that....then.

This other guy said I would prob need this transponder (if thats the right word for it) and it WOULD need programmed. Is this right enough, or am I being told lie's!</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm 99.9% sure it needs to be programmed.

You sure the guy at the dealership didn't mean you can buy it, programmed, as in they can program it there, b4 you buy it? That's what they do here at least. You can buy just the blank, with nothing on it, or you can pay more and have the dealer program it b4 you buy it.

Or you can buy a blank, and take it back to the dealer, then pay to have it programmed.

If you're not using the keys fob, and the fob ur using doesn't interact with the same mechanism as the one that the key does, then yeah, you'll need a transponder..or who's the fob gonna talk to?
Old 08-02-2008, 04:43 PM
Axl

Default Re: The dealer told I would need a transponder aswell as a new fob, is this right enough? (Syndacate

He probably meant either having programmed there first or (like you say) taking it back once you get it.

I know what you mean as in what is it going to "talk" to as in the transponder, but like I said to him too. It's obviously had the fob before, before someone lost it, so the transponder should/will still be there and work.

I was also told about reading number's from the inside cover of the interior mirror, it's there thats seemingly needed to code it.
Old 08-03-2008, 02:09 AM
Axl

Default Re: The dealer told I would need a transponder aswell as a new fob, is this right enough? (Syndacate

I guess no one else know's anything about this then..
Old 08-03-2008, 05:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

wtf is an fob?
Old 08-03-2008, 06:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mistaashby12)

to program the fob do steps in this order.

1 ignition off then ignition on then off and on
2 hit lock on fob when ignition is on

do this 5x times fast

you will hear the locks cycle by thereselves

test your fob. should be working