Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

De-ricing a Del Sol

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 04:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default De-ricing a Del Sol

I have a '97 Del Sol DOHC VTEC that would be pretty cool if I could get rid of the
the Blitz body kit which is kind of busted up any way. I would need the stock side skirts, front and rear bumpers. After market or could I find good used parts on Ebay or such? Biggest expense would probably be paint. This car is for sale but I'm kind of thinking about de-blinging it and keeping it.

Modified by robc in WI at 7:40 PM 9/17/2007
Old 09-17-2007, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: De-ricing a Del Sol (robc in WI)

Are you asking if you should sell it or de-rice it?

About the parts I would buy OEM if you can afford it.
Old 09-17-2007, 05:10 PM

leave it alone, you might be able to get in the fast n furious 4
Old 09-17-2007, 05:32 PM

Default Re: De-ricing a Del Sol (Ron454321)

I guess I'm trying to get a feel for how much it would cost to get it to look closer to stock.
Old 09-17-2007, 05:35 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by robc in WI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I guess I'm trying to get a feel for how much it would cost to get it to look closer to stock.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Step 1.) get a calculator or open up the calculator function on your computer.

Step 2.) go to http://www.ebay.com

Step 3.) type appropriate parts in the search queue

Step 4.) add best prices together

Step 5.) take total number, place dollar sign in front of it and talk to mom and dad about a forward on your allowance.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:38 PM

Default Re: De-ricing a Del Sol (Archidictus)

Considering that I'm probably twice your age I'll refer to you as A$$ wiper instead of A$$ whooper. Not interested in $40 Ebay plastic junk. Tried a lot of forums and bumpers appear to be scarce. I figured that when people put body kits on their Del Sol that would part out the stock body parts. Thanks for the reply anyway.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Step 1.) get a calculator or open up the calculator function on your computer.

Step 2.) go to http://www.ebay.com

Step 3.) type appropriate parts in the search queue

Step 4.) add best prices together

Step 5.) take total number, place dollar sign in front of it and talk to mom and dad about a forward on your allowance.</TD></TR></TABLE> LOL +1

certifit FTW
Old 09-17-2007, 06:53 PM
Unceasing Measure

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by robc in WI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Considering that I'm probably twice your age I'll refer to you as A$$ wiper instead of A$$ whooper. Not interested in $40 Ebay plastic junk. Tried a lot of forums and bumpers appear to be scarce. I figured that when people put body kits on their Del Sol that would part out the stock body parts. Thanks for the reply anyway.</TD></TR></TABLE>

If a 50 year old man doesn't have the wherewithal to source parts for his mid-90's Honda, I'm not sure you're qualified to refer to me as anything except "sir".

Pissing match aside, you have many options that don't involve "plastic junk," most notably the dealership, the company Certifit and private parties on sites such as this. If you're looking for a range of prices, I'd suggest running your list by the dealer, then Certifit and then trying to piece it together from the classifieds here in that order.

Many people do part out the stock parts for their cars when they install body kits, but given that the "JDM stock" look has been the trend for the past five years, prices are high and supply is low. I'll assume you know where that leaves you. If you were looking for someone to assemble a list of people they know with parts you need, you came to the wrong place. If you want to peruse our classifieds, you may do so at your leisure.

Good luck.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Totally OT.

PM'D you, if your interested in selling your car.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by robc in WI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Considering that I'm probably twice your age I'll refer to you as A$$ wiper instead of A$$ whooper. Not interested in $40 Ebay plastic junk. Tried a lot of forums and bumpers appear to be scarce. I figured that when people put body kits on their Del Sol that would part out the stock body parts. Thanks for the reply anyway.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hrm. You grew older but didn't grow up. Nice mature response there.

google.com, the search function here, civicforums.com, d-series.org, there's tons of honda sites out there, and 99% of them have classifieds, and you can also check craigslist.

John
Old 09-17-2007, 07:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by robc in WI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have a '97 Del Sol DOHC VTEC that would be pretty cool if I could get rid of the
the Blitz body kit which is kind of busted up any way. I would need the stock side skirts, front and rear bumpers. After market or could I find good used parts on Ebay or such? Biggest expense would probably be paint. This car is for sale but I'm kind of thinking about de-blinging it and keeping it.

Modified by robc in WI at 7:40 PM 9/17/2007</TD></TR></TABLE>

You mentioned if you should look for parts on eBay on your first post. After a reccomendation to look on eBay, you complain and say that eBay is junk.

Last time I checked, eBay doesn't manfacture bumpers, fart cans, and eBay shift *****; eBay is just filled with every seller imaginable. If you actually do your research for parts on eBay, you will actually find USEFUL parts that are GENUINE and cheaper than retail, by a few percent, or more, in certain situations.

I've purchase an OEM-aftermarket civic bumper, skunk2 camber kit, ingalls camber kit, sway bar (oem si), and I can list plenty more.

I say you search on eBay, and just don't buy from rookie sellers (feedback) that are looking for a quick buck.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:23 PM

Default Re: De-ricing a Del Sol (b 1 6 a 2)

Wow, touchy bunch. Ebay rocks, but go do a search right now and see if any OEM used bumpers jump out. I spent almost 2 hours searching/googling Del Sol bumpers after I started this thread and pretty much came up with nothing. My reply to Sir Archidictus was simply a reply to his condescending tone. Guess it's the norm for someone with "noob" status to get dumped on. Not quite 50 and to be honest it's my 17 year old son's car that we're trying to sell for college $$$. He tried listing his car elsewhere but didn't have any luck. After seeing so many pics of clean, stock looking Sols I was having second thoughts about selling it. I wasn't planning on mentioning the car being for sale on this thread but who cares at this point. It's listed in the midwest classified under "'97 Del Sol DOHC VTEC # 650 of 750...etc.. it's a cool little car and I almost thought of keeping it for myself. If I'm not mistaken it's hard to find '97 Del Sols let alone a VTEC. I will keep looking for bumpers, thanks for the help.

Modified by robc in WI at 9:44 PM 9/17/2007

Modified by robc in WI at 9:45 PM 9/17/2007
Old 09-17-2007, 08:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by robc in WI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Wow, touchy bunch. Ebay rocks, go do a search right now and see if any OEM used bumpers jump out. I spent almost 2 hours searching/googling Del Sol bumpers after I started this thread and pretty much came up with nothing. My reply to Sir Archidictus was simply a reply to his condescending tone. Guess it's the norm for someone with "noob" status to get dumped on. Not quite 50 and to be honest it's my 17 year old son's car that we're trying to sell for college $$$. He tried listing his car elsewhere but didn't have any luck. After seeing so many pics of clean, stock looking Sols I was having second thoughts about selling it. I wasn't planning on mentioning the car being for sale on this thread but who cares at this point. It's listed in the midwest classified under "'97 Del Sol DOHC VTEC # 650 of 750...etc.. it's a cool little car and I almost thought of keeping it for myself. If I'm not mistaken it hard to find '97 Del Sols let alone a VTEC. I will keep looking for bumpers, thanks for the help.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I wouldn't say that you will find every single part on a car, but you will find most, and if you keep you searches on for at least 3-4 weeks, you WILL find your part.

Well, not for a 97 del sol, but here's a 93, 94, and 95 del sol bumper.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...ZWDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...ZWDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/93-95-94-H...wItem

JDM SOL

http://cgi.ebay.com/JDM-DEL-SO...wItem

I am not that familiar with SOLs, but will the above bumpers fit? 4 minutes in my eBay search...
Old 09-17-2007, 08:59 PM

Yeh I saw those too,biggest difference is that the earlier Sols had the round fogs. I'm not sure if the pre-96 bumper will fit a '97. My only problem with an inexpensive Ebay bumper is I read a thread about them not fitting well. Like I said originally I was hoping for some used bumpers for a reasonable price. Thanks for searching, the bumper that includes the fog lights might worth considering.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:00 PM
Unceasing Measure

Just did some poking around on http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com and found the 97 spec bumpers for $240 each and the side skirts for $85 each. Grand total is pricey at $650ish before shipping, but it's OEM and guaranteed not to look like butthole if properly finished and installed.

It's possible that buying a lower-key bodykit that's more trendy would be more cost-effective, but if you have to get these parts painted anyway, you're going to be well into the pain zone once you're done. Take into account the fact that you're going to spend $1000 or more with paint to get this thing back to stock before you decide it's a good idea to try and convert.

Will OEM panels add enough to make the work worthwhile? Unlikely. You should keep the car and then do what you will. That, or make his *** sell it I had to sell my modified vehicle to pay for college and, while it took me the better part of half a year, it was a good experience. If the kid's smart enough for college, he's smart enough to figure this out. No need for good ol' dad to do all the grunt work.

EDIT: you know what I just remembered? One of my best friends is parting out his 93 Del Sol Si and I'm positive he has all the panels you need. If you can figure out if the conversion's viable, I can probably get you everything for $200 + shipping.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Those are a few good picks, but you are paying a premuim for oem parts, for a 7 year old car (my own opinion).

Like I mentioned in my previous post, I have purchased an aftermarket-oem bumper for less than $80; got it painted for $250, and it has been installed for 3 years. The fitment is B-, since the lip doesn't seem to "grab" the bumper 100%. However, it still looks original, after paint.

I forgot to mention that you should ask H.A.P. (Honda Acura Parts) for your parts; ask for the tech named Bi (bee). They have a kazam worth of parts, and I am sure that they will have what you want.

http://www.haprecycling.com/
Old 09-17-2007, 09:08 PM

Thanks Sir Archidictus, I appreciate the info and yes I'm not sure that it would be worth it especially when you add on the cost of a good paint job to the parts. I agree with your comment about making son#2 do the work but he wrote the ad over at SolSociety and didn't word it very well. He wants to sell it, buy an ultra cheap Civic for basic transportation and save the rest for school. Sorry for being a jerk earlier.

Thanks to B16 A 2 also
Old 09-17-2007, 09:14 PM
Unceasing Measure

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by robc in WI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks Sir Archidictus, I appreciate the info and yes I'm not sure that it would be worth it especially when you add on the cost of a good paint job to the parts. I agree with your comment about making son#2 do the work but he wrote the ad over at SolSociety and didn't word it very well. He wants to sell it, buy an ultra cheap Civic for basic transportation and save the rest for school. Sorry for being a jerk earlier.

Thanks to B16 A 2 also</TD></TR></TABLE>

I wouldn't have been so rude had I known you were my elder. I apologize sincerely. If you give any thought to my friend's parts, just PM me (it's the rightmost little icon under my name) and I'll see what I can do.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:36 PM

Thanks I will try to research whether the body parts are interchangable between the "93 and '97.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:11 AM

smallest bit of research would do wonders......

a del sol bumper will fit a del sol car end of. doesnt matter if if has the facelift bumper or not. the only difference is the aux lights are not present in the facelift bumper, adn the foglights are different. as fogs are optional extras then a factory bumper will not have the fog holes cut for them