Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

data link conector...location

Old 07-20-2007, 08:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default data link conector...location

where is the data link connector on a 94 del sol w/ b16?any one have a pic of it?thanks
Old 07-20-2007, 11:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 07-21-2007, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

BUM[P
Old 07-21-2007, 05:13 PM

Default Re: data link conector...location (vw eater)

If i'm not mistaken the jumper is on the passenger side. If your sitting in the passenger seat it should be on the right hand side by the glove box. Look up underneath and it should there. Two pin female connector.
Hope that helps.
Old 07-22-2007, 05:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: data link conector...location (agoldenau)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by agoldenau &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If i'm not mistaken the jumper is on the passenger side. If your sitting in the passenger seat it should be on the right hand side by the glove box. Look up underneath and it should there. Two pin female connector.
Hope that helps.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

is there 2 conectors?one 2 wire and one 3 wire conector?
Old 07-22-2007, 11:41 AM

Default Re: data link conector...location (vw eater)

yep. your interested in the two pin connector.
Old 07-22-2007, 11:42 AM
HT White Ops

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The "data link" connector is located on the driver's side near the fusebox. The pin jumper for making the CEL blink out codes is located on the passenger side near the ECU.
Old 07-22-2007, 11:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (Eran)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eran &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The "data link" connector is located on the driver's side near the fusebox. The pin jumper for making the CEL blink out codes is located on the passenger side near the ECU.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The thing on the passenger side kick-panel is the service connector - the two pin one. The actual data link (where you'd plug a code scanner into) is under the dash on the driver's side.

EDIT: Whoooops
Old 07-22-2007, 11:52 AM
HT White Ops

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

The thing on the passenger side kick-panel is the service connector - the two pin one. The actual data link (where you'd plug a code scanner into) is under the dash on the driver's side.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 07-22-2007, 11:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ha, yeah, whoops .

I meant driver's side.

There isn't a whole lot under the dash on the passenger side.

Blower motor.
Old 07-22-2007, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eran &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The "data link" connector is located on the driver's side near the fusebox. The pin jumper for making the CEL blink out codes is located on the passenger side near the ECU.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats only for obd2 cars that the data link is on the driver side. On obd1 its on the passenger side, next to the ecu jumper. Its the 3P plug, same location as the 2P plug.
Old 07-22-2007, 11:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Luserkid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Thats only for obd2 cars that the data link is on the driver side. On obd1 its on the passenger side, next to the ecu jumper. Its the 3P plug, same location as the 2P plug. </TD></TR></TABLE>

You sure about that? My '94 probe had a data link under the dash to scan for codes on the driver's side...and I think that was OBD-I...

EDIT:
Yeah, I just searched, OBD-II wasn't used in probes until '96 (I don't think it was used anywhere until '96).

My probe was OBD-I. It was able to be scanned by plugging a code scanner into a port under the driverside dashboard. I had it checked when it threw a CEL.

Old 07-22-2007, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You sure about that? My '94 probe had a data link under the dash to scan for codes on the driver's side...and I think that was OBD-I...

EDIT:
Yeah, I just searched, OBD-II wasn't used in probes until '96 (I don't think it was used anywhere until '96).

My probe was OBD-I. It was able to be scanned by plugging a code scanner into a port under the driverside dashboard. I had it checked when it threw a CEL.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

some obd1 vehicles have data link connecters for generic functions, not all cars have them in obd1 so don't be confused if you can't find them...96+ vehicles all have obd2 data link connecters.

bottom line if you're scanning for codes find the 2 wire green plug on the right side under the glove box on the passenger side and jump it with a wire or paper clip, turn the key to the on position and count the blinks of the CEL
1 long blink would be code 10
1 short blink would be code 1
1 long blink followed 1 short blink would be code 11 and so on and so forth
watch the codes several times until you get the same code atleast twice to make sure you aren't missing any.

EDIT: the plug itself is gray, the plug protecter it's in is the green part, my fault.
Old 07-22-2007, 02:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so is the 2 pin conector the data link conector? what is the other 3 pin conector for?
Old 07-22-2007, 03:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (vw eater)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vw eater &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so is the 2 pin conector the data link conector? what is the other 3 pin conector for?</TD></TR></TABLE>

3P is for the scanner, the 2P is for you if you want to jump the ecu and check the code yourself with the CEL count.

This is for Honda's only, other car manufacturers might have there data link in other places and use different type of plugs. Thats why when you buy those big scan tools you get a bunch of different plugs for obd1. For obd2 its basically a generic plug.
Old 07-22-2007, 03:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Luserkid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

3P is for the scanner, the 2P is for you if you want to jump the ecu and check the code yourself with the CEL count.

This is for Honda's only, other car manufacturers might have there data link in other places and use different type of plugs. Thats why when you buy those big scan tools you get a bunch of different plugs for obd1. For obd2 its basically a generic plug. </TD></TR></TABLE>

OO, I gotcha, always wondered what the 3p is for. Yeah, I knew about the multiple plugs for OBD-I - That makes sense, gotcha, thanks.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by forcefedferio &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

some obd1 vehicles have data link connecters for generic functions, not all cars have them in obd1 so don't be confused if you can't find them...96+ vehicles all have obd2 data link connecters.

bottom line if you're scanning for codes find the 2 wire green plug on the right side under the glove box on the passenger side and jump it with a wire or paper clip, turn the key to the on position and count the blinks of the CEL
1 long blink would be code 10
1 short blink would be code 1
1 long blink followed 1 short blink would be code 11 and so on and so forth
watch the codes several times until you get the same code atleast twice to make sure you aren't missing any.

EDIT: the plug itself is gray, the plug protecter it's in is the green part, my fault.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thx for the explanation, just note that sometimes that green plug protector isn't always there, and sometimes you gotta fish around for the plug as it's not always "right there" if you haven't pulled it out before.

Bolded part: Yeah, , that's what I do, check it a few times to make sure, if the connection breaks for like 1/5 of a second, the sequence gets a little screwy, so watch it a few times.