Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Dashboard lights go dim when park light and headlights turn on (alternator replaced)

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 11:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dashboard lights go dim when park light and headlights turn on (alternator replaced)

Hi guys. I'm a newbie here and we just bought a 1995 Honda Civic automatic. We had some problems with the alternator as it can't generate enough electricity to keep the power of the car so it ran from battery power and always got drained. We had it checked out and it was burned diodes. We traded it for a newly built one and the cars seems to be running fine after a day of testing. We did notice though that the dashboard lights (A/C, Transmission, etc.) and the clock dims when the park light or headlights are turned on. Is this normal? the dashboard lights don't dim when other things that require a lot of voltage are turned on like the A/C, wipers, etc. Before with the previous alternator, the radios turn on and off, the power windows barely work, and the engine stops when not revving. Those things were gone so far with the new alternator, but the dimming lights when the park and headlights are on, I dunno if that's normal or not. Also, there's no dimmer switch on the left side of the steering wheel (above the side mirror controls), I've seen pictures of the dashboard with switches there, but there's non on our car, just a red dot light at the bottom.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:32 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Dashboard lights go dim when park light and headlights turn on (alternator replac

The interior lights dimming when you turn on the exterior lights is normal.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Dashboard lights go dim when park light and headlights turn on (alternator replac

Really? I thought is was still an electrical or alternator problem. I think it's not because the radio doesn't turn on and off when everything is turned on. I also did some research and found out that dimming lights when the park and headlights are on is normal to minimize distraction. Just wanting to be sure that it's normal, I'll just observe it more. Thanks for the response, jbpnoman.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:55 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Normal.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:00 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Anytime.

I mean, my 98 4 door does it, my 91 Accord 2 door did it, my 87 Subaru Justy did it, and my 01 Grand Marquis does it, so I sure as hell hope it's normal but in all seriousness, every car I've been in with the exception of one did that, and that was a BMW with red lights all over the interior. The grossly over-simplified explanation is that red is less harsh on the eyes, so it doesn't need to dim.

So are you saying that with everything turned on, your radio won't turn on, or am I reading that incorrectly?
Old 07-17-2012, 09:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The radio turns on but before, with the burned diode alternator, the radio/car stereo goes on and off when the A/C is on and every time I hit the brakes. The lights also dim and the car has the tendency to shut itself and won't start unless the battery is charged. But with the replacement alternator, none of those things happens anymore, just the dimming lights with the park and headlights on. Thanks for the responses guys. I really appreciate it, this is the first time I drove a Honda.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:51 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I upgraded my alternator. 165 amp. Nothing dims anymore.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's normal. The same thing happens with my 93 Civic DX. It concerned me at first, so I had the alternator and battery checked. Both were fine.
Old 07-18-2012, 01:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the comments, guys. All of you are very helpful. For now I relieved from all the worries of alternator or wiring problems.