Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Dash & tail lights shut off with headlights turned on

Old 06-16-2014, 02:38 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dash & tail lights shut off with headlights turned on

Hey everyone, first of all I want to introduce myself. my name is ray from minnesota and while i'm not stranger to cars I am new to the honda scene. My girlfriend bought a 95 civic DX cdn model for $300.
I talked the guy down from $500 due to a decent amount of issues. but I know my stuff so i'm willing to take the risk. it's her first car and the body is decently clean (for a minnesota civic) 183K on it and was sold due to overheating issues. right off the bat I could see it was a failed head gasket so i've just finished replacing it.
Now i'm trying to fix some of the other issues with it and the biggest issue i've run into so far is the dash lights / tail and lic plate light. they weren't working when I got the car and i found that the 10A fuse was utterly melted in the socket... not much damage to the board / socket so I replaced it with a new fuse. I had dash lights / tail lights after diagnosing a failing dimmer.
Climate control doesn't light up but I suspect bad bulb? So i'm figuring "great i'll just replace the dimmer and be good" WRONG everything lights up when its in parking lamp position. but once you turn it to full headlights everything shuts off. Dash lights, tail lights and lic plate light.. could this be the headlamp switch? its able to turn on the headlights and toggle high beams..
if anyone knows what causes this it would be great. only fix i've found so far is to turn it in between headlight and parking light. it leaves dash lights on and turns headlamps on also. but maybe this is why the fuse is melted? any insight would be GREATLY appreciated
Old 06-16-2014, 03:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Re: Dash & tail lights shut off with headlights turned on

Originally Posted by Dynamoose
could this be the headlamp switch?
yes