Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Dash LED's going out

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2001, 08:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dash LED's going out

I have a 99 Civic Si with two LED's that are not working. My cruise control led stop working a few months back and just recently my fog light led has shut off. Both functions still work fine when the buttons are pushed in, but it's a bit aggravating having to "feel" if they are on or not and not being able to just look over and know. Does anyone know if there is anything that can be checked or replaced to solve this? I could bring it back to the dealer to have them replace the switches but I'd rather save time and aggravation (can't stand the tech's where I go).

Thanks in advance for any info!
Old 09-25-2001, 11:37 AM
New User

Default Re: Dash LED's going out (StolenSi)

Well, from installing my indiglo gauges, i know that all that is back there are little light bulbs.. I suggest getting the replacement bulbs from honda, and then installing them yourself.. Way cheaper that way.. All you have is about 6 screws to get your gauges out... On the back of the gauge housing, you have all the little light bulbs sticking out.. You just have to figure out which goes with the cruise and the fog lights...
Old 09-26-2001, 04:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Dash LED's going out (silverleeh)

No, I didn't make it clear...sorry. It's not in the guage cluster above the steering wheel. It's actually on the switch buttons themselves, to the left of the steering wheel. I had it all apart the other day and it apears to all be one piece each (just the switch) with no visible lamps anywhere. I assumed the Cruise light was a lamp, but the small fog light switch I was thinking LED, just because of the intensity and the space it has to illuminate. I'm probably wrong though. Has this happened to anyone else?
Old 09-26-2001, 06:36 AM
New User

Have you done any electrical work on your Si lately?
Old 09-26-2001, 07:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Dash LED's going out (CoffeCan)

Actually, it's been stolen twice and the ignition was dammaged both times. I'm on my third alarm, second ignition, and a few other misc. electrical components that would be inside the dash area. I noticed the cruise light off a little while after I got the car back from repairs after the first theft. Never really bothered me cause I was planning on selling the car. I noticed the fog light switch out a few days ago. I was hooking up a few ignition kill switches and happened to be down eye level with the switch which is one of the reasons I noticed it. I could have happened during the second theft but who knows. All I know is that it's now two things, which to me can justify a repair.
Old 09-26-2001, 07:02 PM
New User

whatever your lights are, i doubt they are LEDs. i don't think they have LEDs yet for cars atleast not civics. i got myself a 98 civic so i'm assuming it should internally identical to your 99si. well since you took the cruise control button off. this will be an easy process.
-flip the button (the whole cluster) upside down. you will probably see two screw light things. one should be blue or something or maybe they're both the same colors. anyhow, use a #2 or #3 phillips screwdriver and just turn and wahla! you got yourself a miniature bulb inside. same goes for the light for 'cruise'. i have no idea about the fog light button because i don't have one in my car. you could buy the bulbs from honda, they run around $4-12 or something. or you could try searching your local auto accessories shop. hope this helps you. let me know if you got questions.
Old 09-27-2001, 04:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Dash LED's going out (v$pec)

Sweet! This was the exact reply I was looking for! At least I know now that they are replaceable. I'll give a call to the dealer and see if they can "give" me the lamps under warranty, instead of having them do the work. I can't stand when those morons touch anything in my car. They always screw something up. I'll let you know if the lamp swap works, thanks!