Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Damnit... What now! Scratching noise when trying to start!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 07:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Damnit... What now! Scratching noise when trying to start!

Okay I was trying to start my car again and it didn't start but i heard this NAAAASTY *** KHHhHRRRRT!. It was like a scratching noise. Does this mean i need a new start? because i've never actually heard the scratching noise a bad starter makes so i dont know..

Another thign is when it made the scratching noise the motor shook up. And then a little bit of smoke comes out of the intake manifold.

What could it be? SLipped timing belt? bad starter? AghH!

****, i know ive been flooding these boards w/ all these problems always but ***!!! it never seems to stop!
Old 05-24-2005, 08:04 PM
B A N N E D

Default Re: Damnit... What now! Scratching noise when trying to start! (The-Beast)

Change your starter. That scratching noise is the starter.
Old 05-24-2005, 09:23 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Damnit... What now! Scratching noise when trying to start! (97civicsedan)

The starter isnt engaging the flywheel enough to start the car. Hence the EHhhCCghhRHrhrh noise.
Old 05-24-2005, 09:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Damnit... What now! Scratching noise when trying to start! (Civic4less)

how about you test the starter, and battery at autozone before you go replacing ****.. it honestly could be eithre.
Old 05-24-2005, 09:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Damnit... What now! Scratching noise when trying to start! (Kamin)

If the starter or battery is bad, then will the car even start at all?

Because the scratching noise only happens sometimes and when it does i can usually start it up after a couple more tries.

how much does testing a battery and a starter normally run at a place like autozone?
Old 05-24-2005, 10:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Damnit... What now! Scratching noise when trying to start! (The-Beast)

vatozone tests them for free, and like i told you on AIM if its happening AFTER the car has started its probably the starter. it would be the starter gear not retracting.
Old 05-24-2005, 11:36 PM

If your starter and battery all checks out fine. The next thing you could check is your flywheel. There is a ring gear around the flywheel. This big gear allows the starter to turn the the flywheel and start the engine. Take off the flywheel inspection cover and see if you can turn the ring gear by hand. If so, than that is your problem. The starter operates but since the ring gear has seperated, the flywheel will not turn. This is a very rare problem but it happens because OEM flywheels are two piece units with the ring gear pressed on. I'm assuming stresses and extreme heat could be the culprit. My '99 Civic SI did the same thing. It made the same noises and started occasionally. The starter worked and battery was good. It stummped me for a while until a tech led me to the flywheel.

Modified by mrchris1979 at 9:07 AM 5/25/2005
Old 05-25-2005, 04:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Damnit... What now! Scratching noise when trying to start! (mrchris1979)

****. can you give me a diagram of these pieces that you're talking about? All I remember doing is putting ont he flywheel with those bolts I dont know of any ring gear or anything because when i put the flywheel on, i did it for the first time without every doing any of that.

Crap. Well a picture or something of the pieces your talking about or better yet a picture from the service manual would help a lot.

btw i'm in the same city as you.

edit-

okay i found a diagram. i guess the ring gear your talking about is the teeth on the outside edge. I had no idea it's a seperate part. If that's what you're talking about then the flywheel i put on the car is already intact like that.
http://www.honda.co.uk/owner/C...2.pdf

On step number for it says to turn the inner race of the flywheel bearing? I don't remember seeing a bearing. I just remember that center part being empty.

Do you think this could be something thats messing it up? Crap.. lol I remember reading this same page to put the flywheel on but i dont remember that part for some reason...

Modified by The-Beast at 5:27 AM 5/25/2005
Old 05-25-2005, 04:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by The-Beast &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">okay i found a diagram. i guess the ring gear your talking about is the teeth on the outside edge. I had no idea it's a seperate part. If that's what you're talking about then the flywheel i put on the car is already intact like that.
http://www.honda.co.uk/owner/C...2.pdf</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, that is the ring gear; and it comes already pressed onto the flywheel. What can happen is that it separates and spins without spinning the flywheell, or teeth on the starter or ring gear may be broken or not catching properly.

Old 05-25-2005, 04:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by The-Beast &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
On step number for it says to turn the inner race of the flywheel bearing? I don't remember seeing a bearing. I just remember that center part being empty.

Do you think this could be something thats messing it up? Crap.. lol I remember reading this same page to put the flywheel on but i dont remember that part for some reason...
]</TD></TR></TABLE>

So you just recently replaced the flywheel, and now this is happening? There needs to be a bearing in there; that definitely could be your problem...

Old 05-25-2005, 04:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Damnit... What now! Scratching noise when trying to start! (AutoXer)

Well no. From when i first swapped the motor that was always happening.

Could you show me a picture of a bearing that is supposed to be inside of there?
Old 05-25-2005, 04:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It's part number 12, but it should have come with your flywheel if you bought one:

http://www.slhondaparts.com/br...=true

You're seriously just going to have to pull the battery and starter to get tested; then start looking into the flywheel.

Old 05-25-2005, 04:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Damnit... What now! Scratching noise when trying to start! (AutoXer)

no.. wait. yeah that piece is definately there.

yeah im gona get that ish tested.

thanks for the help in the wee hours of the morning, i appreciate it.
Old 05-25-2005, 11:57 AM

All flywheels have the ring gear already. It is not a seperate part you can buy and replace. You may have remembered the ring gear being there, but you have to check and make sure that it is not spinning by itself. If it is, then it has seperated from the flywheel and you must buy a new flywheel. Check for missing teeth as well. With the inspection cover off, turn the crank by hand and inspect the ring gear. The bearing in the center of the flywheel doen not affect the start up of the car because the flywheel is bolted on to the crank. I can't remember the part names but that bearing helps guide the clutch/tranny assembly.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by The-Beast &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">****. can you give me a diagram of these pieces that you're talking about? All I remember doing is putting ont he flywheel with those bolts I dont know of any ring gear or anything because when i put the flywheel on, i did it for the first time without every doing any of that.

Crap. Well a picture or something of the pieces your talking about or better yet a picture from the service manual would help a lot.

btw i'm in the same city as you.

edit-

okay i found a diagram. i guess the ring gear your talking about is the teeth on the outside edge. I had no idea it's a seperate part. If that's what you're talking about then the flywheel i put on the car is already intact like that.
http://www.honda.co.uk/owner/C...2.pdf

Modified by The-Beast at 5:27 AM 5/25/2005</TD></TR></TABLE>