Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Damn lower ball joint wont come out!!!!!

Old 09-27-2004, 04:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Damn lower ball joint wont come out!!!!!

Ive tried all kinds of meathods of getting this thing out. Local auto part store didnt have one cause it was never returned . I tried a pry bar and hammering up. i tried hammering from the side to loosen it up. is there any way i can get this damn ball joint off? i need to get it off so i can remove my axle's
Old 09-27-2004, 05:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Damn lower ball joint wont come out!!!!! (JDMlyfestyle)

I smacked it from the side with a mallet and that worked. Hammering on the threads will just ruin the ball joint.

Scrounge around for a fork because thats your best bet. Buy one if you have too they arent that expensive.

Here you go $14 for a set. I personally would buy one locally to avoid shipping costs.http://www.toolking.com/grip/view.asp?id=3739
Old 09-27-2004, 05:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMlyfestyle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ive tried all kinds of meathods of getting this thing out. Local auto part store didnt have one cause it was never returned . I tried a pry bar and hammering up. i tried hammering from the side to loosen it up. is there any way i can get this damn ball joint off? i need to get it off so i can remove my axle's</TD></TR></TABLE>

sounds like you need this piece: http://www.toolking.com/shop/view.asp?id=8545 saves me alot of time and effort. I use this instead of the regular shade tree route of banging the hell out of it.
Old 09-27-2004, 05:55 PM

An air chisel or a ball joint splitter should work
Old 09-27-2004, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Damn lower ball joint wont come out!!!!! (EkMeg99)

Pickel fork for sure.
Old 09-27-2004, 06:53 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Damn lower ball joint wont come out!!!!! (Ricey McRicerton)

I will NEVER use a separater and never have.

All day long at Honda, all we do is take a few whacks at the LCA directly above the LBJ. Don't be scared to hit it either...you won't harm anything.

Pickle forks, air chisels, etc, may damage the boot. Just take a good sized sledge and take out some aggression. Take a few whacks and then jostle the spindle assembly up and down really fast.,...it will come right out
Old 09-27-2004, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Damn lower ball joint wont come out!!!!! (Emerika)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Emerika &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I will NEVER use a separater and never have.

All day long at Honda, all we do is take a few whacks at the LCA directly above the LBJ. Don't be scared to hit it either...you won't harm anything.

Pickle forks, air chisels, etc, may damage the boot. Just take a good sized sledge and take out some aggression. Take a few whacks and then jostle the spindle assembly up and down really fast.,...it will come right out</TD></TR></TABLE>

agreed. grab like a 3lb or a 5lb and beat the living **** out of the LCA like stated above. For a little protection, you can thread the nut back on the ball joint a bit so you dont end up hitting the threads. I also wouldnt recomend hitting it upwards because you can mushroom the threads. just my .02
Old 09-27-2004, 07:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Damn lower ball joint wont come out!!!!! (adictionbass)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by adictionbass &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

agreed. grab like a 3lb or a 5lb and beat the living **** out of the LCA like stated above. For a little protection, you can thread the nut back on the ball joint a bit so you dont end up hitting the threads. I also wouldnt recomend hitting it upwards because you can mushroom the threads. just my .02</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Emerika &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I will NEVER use a separater and never have.

Pickle forks, air chisels, etc, may damage the boot. Just take a good sized sledge and take out some aggression. Take a few whacks and then jostle the spindle assembly up and down really fast.,...it will come right out</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats the way i do too, has worked really good for me so far. I like to hit from the front part (looking from the front of the car) and turn the wheel outward so it'll give me more room.
Old 09-27-2004, 07:11 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Damn lower ball joint wont come out!!!!! (5w20)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 5w20 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Thats the way i do too, has worked really good for me so far. I like to hit from the front part (looking from the front of the car) and turn the wheel outward so it'll give me more room.</TD></TR></TABLE>

easiest way
Old 09-27-2004, 07:16 PM
ABK
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Damn lower ball joint wont come out!!!!! (Emerika)

fork, big hammer, and turn the wheel so you won't hit a car, and just swing on it like there is no tommorow.
Old 09-27-2004, 08:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Damn lower ball joint wont come out!!!!! (ABK)

you try this way
only work if the sway bar if you have one is dissconnected.
and the shock and spring still on the lca
you stick a jack under the lca jack it up then stick a socket wrench next to the back of ball joint and let the spring press back down. use the handle of like a 1/2 inch rachet
Old 09-27-2004, 08:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ive always jack up the knuckle w/ the stock jack and then smacked the lca WITH the autozone separator pressing up on the balljoint.
3 things going for me...never takes long to get it out
Old 09-27-2004, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (pdiggitydogg)

pickle fork has never failed
Old 09-27-2004, 10:10 PM

Default Re: (Donkey85)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pdiggitydogg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ive always jack up the knuckle w/ the stock jack and then smacked the lca WITH the autozone separator pressing up on the balljoint.
3 things going for me...never takes long to get it out</TD></TR></TABLE>
thats the way i do it too for some reason the jack thing seems to help alot. only problem is that it tore the boot last time
Old 09-28-2004, 07:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (96MidoriHatch)

spray wd40 on the boot before you use a fork on it. less chance of ripping it
Old 09-28-2004, 09:48 AM

all of this, and nobody's mention the "craftsman 1/2" ratchet" method?

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=887859

Always works, Never rips balljoint boots (assuming you line up the ratchet correctly and the boot wasn't ripped to begin with )
Old 09-28-2004, 10:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Damn lower ball joint wont come out!!!!! (project_mercy)

the craftsman 1/2" ratchet, that's how I've always done it, or a 1/2" breaker bar. Funny to watch a long bar of metal flex as you push on it.
Old 12-03-2004, 12:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Damn lower ball joint wont come out!!!!! (project_mercy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by project_mercy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">all of this, and nobody's mention the "craftsman 1/2" ratchet" method?

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=887859

Always works, Never rips balljoint boots (assuming you line up the ratchet correctly and the boot wasn't ripped to begin with )</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thank you! Thank you! THank you! I can't say it enough for directing me to this thread. I tried in vain for hours banging away on the lca with a hammer and using a pickel fork. Was getting frustrated and searched H-T and found this thread. Got both sides popped in 10 minutes. This method is awesome and does not damage anything unlike the pickel fork which messed up a boot.

THANKS!!!!
Old 12-03-2004, 04:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Damn lower ball joint wont come out!!!!! (jefe)

The hammer needs some mass - 10lb mini-sledge gets the job done nicely.

You break out a regular old claw hammer and the LCA will laugh at you.
Old 12-03-2004, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Damn lower ball joint wont come out!!!!! (EE_Chris)

I had a nice size mini sledge that I bought yesterday after I broke the regular hammer. Didnt do a thing.

Ratchet Method!!!!
Old 12-03-2004, 01:33 PM

pickle fork
Old 12-03-2004, 02:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

anti-seize is your friend. i cant say it enough.
Old 12-03-2004, 10:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Why so you can pretend like youre interested, FL/OK

I have been in the same position, you cannot explain to a person how hard you are actually doing something. After getting tired of things, I lightly hammered in the ball joint separator until it was parallel to the ground, set my jack under the end of it and jacked up. By the time th ball joint broke loose, I look over and the ball joint is out. I only have to apply energy to the jack so it does all the hard work and gets the job done for me.
Old 12-03-2004, 10:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Damn lower ball joint wont come out!!!!! (INVALID)

wow that link posted was awesome, never seen that before.
im surprised ppl havent mentioned anything about using a pitman (sp?). It always works for me.
Old 12-03-2004, 10:53 PM
honda eg9

Default Re: Damn lower ball joint wont come out!!!!! (civicsisi)

also if you have a front sway bar try taking off the end links from the lcas, on my friends car the endlinks were enough to keep the balljoint from popping out

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Damn lower ball joint wont come out!!!!!