Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

DAMN ECU!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 09:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default DAMN ECU!!!

ok i got a 96 civic Ex with a P2P ecu.
i wanna get it chipped BUT i cant find any chips for it.

so my questions are:

1) where can i find a chip for it?
2) should i just get another ECU that will work in my car without the CEL on?
and
3) what other ECUs will work fine on my car?

by the way, it has a d16y8 engine and the tranny is, (sadly) automatic.

PLEASE help!!!!
Old 10-17-2008, 10:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: DAMN ECU!!! (Unseen Racer)

Well, you could do the obd2 to obd1 conversion and put a chipped p28 in ur car.. It would run a lot better with the p28..
Old 10-18-2008, 05:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DAMN ECU!!! (iamthefollower)

^^^^^he's right...do a conversion harness with a p28 and get it chipped and then tuned..make sure that the chip is tunable..,
Old 10-18-2008, 05:14 AM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Unseen Racer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i wanna get it chipped BUT i cant find any chips for it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Why do you want to get it chipped?
Old 10-18-2008, 08:42 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by iamthefollower &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well, you could do the obd2 to obd1 conversion and put a chipped p28 in ur car.. It would run a lot better with the p28..</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, actually he can't. If it was a manual yes, however the '96 - '00 civics have at least one other solenoid on the automatic transmission compared to the '92 - '95s, so it wont shift right. To the OP unless you can find someone who chips OBD2 honda ecus, which is almost unheard of, your kinda stuck. If I were you i'd swap in a 5 speed.
Old 10-18-2008, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: DAMN ECU!!! (94EG8)

You 100% better off swapping it to a 5 speed, a chip will not do diddly f'in squat on a stock D16Y8, it’s the truth so believe it, it will still be slow

What are you trying to do with the car?
Old 10-18-2008, 04:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

He can still do the conversion on it, I have seen plenty around here with it..
Old 10-18-2008, 04:50 PM
Seagull Management

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by iamthefollower &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">He can still do the conversion on it, I have seen plenty around here with it.. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Manual yes, no problem. But the automatic wont work, people that are running automatic P28s in '96 - '00s are probably running M24A OBD1 trannys too. The new '96 - '00 trannys add: 2 shift solenoids, 1 linear soleniod, 1 mainshaft sensor and a countershaft sensor.
Old 10-18-2008, 04:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

gotcha, gotcha.. i'd just do the manaul swap on it though and then do the conversion lol..
Old 10-19-2008, 07:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94EG8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

No, actually he can't. If it was a manual yes, however the '96 - '00 civics have at least one other solenoid on the automatic transmission compared to the '92 - '95s, so it wont shift right. To the OP unless you can find someone who chips OBD2 honda ecus, which is almost unheard of, your kinda stuck. If I were you i'd swap in a 5 speed.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yea i know. ive been wanting to get a tranny switch but right now im BROKE as HELL! and i dont know how much that will cost.
any ideas on the price range?
Old 10-19-2008, 12:59 PM
Seagull Management

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Unseen Racer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yea i know. ive been wanting to get a tranny switch but right now im BROKE as HELL! and i dont know how much that will cost.
any ideas on the price range?</TD></TR></TABLE>

It varies. I've seen people quote over $1000 before. But on the other hand I did mine myself, knew a guy who was junking a 5 speed civic like mine and got everything I needed for $100. The clutch I got with the swap was in good shape too and I used it, so no money spent on a clutch. A friend of mine did a swap on her coupe and we ended up actually making money on it. (bought parts car, took what we needed off it, parted the rest out, sold body for scrap metal, profit!). What it comes down to is this. If you can get a parts car, and you can do the labour yourself it can be very affordable. If you have to pay a shop to do it, they will probably *** rape you on the price.
Old 10-19-2008, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You can actually buy the mount to go from automatic to manaul now instead of cutting and welding.. you could probably find u a tranny and shift linkages for around $300 and then get that tranny mount for maybe around $60 then get u a stock clutch and flywheel maybe someone would have it with the tranny you would buy.. If I was you though, I would get a tranny from a 2000 Civic Ex, they are kinda more lower geared then the 92-95 si trannys.. same final drive, just gearing is lower.
Old 10-19-2008, 02:11 PM
Seagull Management

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by iamthefollower &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You can actually buy the mount to go from automatic to manaul now instead of cutting and welding..</TD></TR></TABLE>

'96 - '00 civics don't require cutting a special mount or cutting and welding the way the '92 - '95s did. you just need a manual transmission bracket and mount.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by iamthefollower &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If I was you though, I would get a tranny from a 2000 Civic Ex, they are kinda more lower geared then the 92-95 si trannys.. same final drive, just gearing is lower. </TD></TR></TABLE>

'96 - '00 EX, 92 - '95 EX/Si and '92 - '95 OBD1 D15B vtec trannys are all geared exactly the same, '96 - '00 have steel shift forks though.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94EG8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

It varies. I've seen people quote over $1000 before. But on the other hand I did mine myself, knew a guy who was junking a 5 speed civic like mine and got everything I needed for $100. The clutch I got with the swap was in good shape too and I used it, so no money spent on a clutch. A friend of mine did a swap on her coupe and we ended up actually making money on it. (bought parts car, took what we needed off it, parted the rest out, sold body for scrap metal, profit!). What it comes down to is this. If you can get a parts car, and you can do the labour yourself it can be very affordable. If you have to pay a shop to do it, they will probably *** rape you on the price.</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol yea. shops tend you rip you off!!
like i took my civic to a shop cuz the a/c wasnt working right.
they guy told me it needed a new A/C reciever dryer and a frezer recharge.
he tried to charge me $96 for an a/c reciever dryer wheni got a brand new one for $26!!!!!!

but yea. where can i get a parts car???
Old 10-19-2008, 09:35 PM
Seagull Management

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Unseen Racer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">but yea. where can i get a parts car???</TD></TR></TABLE>

Try craiglist/kijiji, local classifieds.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

aight.
also like the thing is that i want to get a SI swap on my car.
but thats in due time. so im wondering ALOT.
cuz i also want to get a 5 speed tranny for my y8.
and later on i want to get a b16 si engine and all
so should i just get the swap and not get the tranny switch??
Old 10-20-2008, 06:54 AM
Seagull Management

Honestly it comes down to how much its going to cost you to get the tranny swap done. On its own theres quite a bit of labour involved, if you're doing an engine swap though it really doesn't add a whole lot. You will need to get it swapped when you drop a B16 anyway (don't even think about a B-series automatic swap, they're a nightmare). If you can get a parts car a for a few hundread dollars and do the work yourself or with a few friends then go for it, if you have to pay a shop $1000 to do it you might as well wait till you do an engine swap.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94EG8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Honestly it comes down to how much its going to cost you to get the tranny swap done. On its own theres quite a bit of labour involved, if you're doing an engine swap though it really doesn't add a whole lot. You will need to get it swapped when you drop a B16 anyway (don't even think about a B-series automatic swap, they're a nightmare). If you can get a parts car a for a few hundread dollars and do the work yourself or with a few friends then go for it, if you have to pay a shop $1000 to do it you might as well wait till you do an engine swap.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yea i know. i didnt even want an automatic civic. but since my dad doesnt know how to drive stick, he got me an automatic "in case" he needs it. but its gay. and yea.
hey man, do you live anywhere near fontana, ca?
maybe you can help me with the tranny swap
Old 10-20-2008, 07:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is just my own opinion.
Depending on the condition of your car and your hp goals etc... If you know you will be going to a B series motor in the foreseeable future, save your coin and get the 99-00 EX/Si tranny and a B series (B16, B18 whatever) in one shot. I know it means waiting longer and more $$$ in one shot but you'll be better off in the end with the gearing of the EX/SI tranny plus in many cases you can get an engine and tranny together for cheaper than the two separately. (note: this can vary depening on the seller etc of course)

Mind you, this has nothing to do with your orignal ECU query... By the way, finding chips for Honda's is tough. Rather than chipping it the majority of people swap in an OB1 ecu (simply cause OBD1 tends to be easier to tune/there are more programs out there for OBD1 ecu's ATM) and get it flashed with a new program. #1 option for honda's IMO
Old 10-20-2008, 07:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (B16AGUY)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B16AGUY &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This is just my own opinion.
Depending on the condition of your car and your hp goals etc... If you know you will be going to a B series motor in the foreseeable future, save your coin and get the 99-00 EX/Si tranny and a B series (B16, B18 whatever) in one shot. I know it means waiting longer and more $$$ in one shot but you'll be better off in the end with the gearing of the EX/SI tranny plus in many cases you can get an engine and tranny together for cheaper than the two separately. (note: this can vary depening on the seller etc of course) </TD></TR></TABLE>

thats what i was thinking. but i cant find any good, reliable sites that have good Bseries engines with tranny and wiring harness. and i want my b16/b18 to be OBD2 since thats the scanner that i have.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Unseen Racer)

Check with local Junk yards you should be able to find engines there.

There's a few websites that you can get them from too but be sure to ask the peeps on here which websites are good sellers as some website sell engines that will show up with warped heads, cracked cylinder walls etc.

THERE ARE TONS OF GREAT SITES OUT THERE THOUGH.

Just make sure to do your homework properly.
Use the search on H-T and read up, there are tons of threads about good websites, best options for swaps, hells there's even a bunch of write ups on how to do the swap yourself.

Oh, also check the H-T market place, someone might have an engine and or tranny for sale on there.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (B16AGUY)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B16AGUY &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Check with local Junk yards you should be able to find engines there.

There's a few websites that you can get them from too but be sure to ask the peeps on here which websites are good sellers as some website sell engines that will show up with warped heads, cracked cylinder walls etc.

THERE ARE TONS OF GREAT SITES OUT THERE THOUGH.

Just make sure to do your homework properly.
Use the search on H-T and read up, there are tons of threads about good websites, best options for swaps, hells there's even a bunch of write ups on how to do the swap yourself.

Oh, also check the H-T market place, someone might have an engine and or tranny for sale on there.</TD></TR></TABLE>

WOW! there is ALOT of stuff here that i didnt even know about.
HUGE THANKS MAN!!!!
Old 10-20-2008, 08:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Unseen Racer)

put a pair of O.K. headers on your motor and a intake from autozone their 25 HP and $150. and have your fun with it till you get more money to do a 5spd swap aned chip the ecu.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:50 AM
Seagull Management

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Unseen Racer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hey man, do you live anywhere near fontana, ca?
maybe you can help me with the tranny swap</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sorry, i'm in eastern canada actually. But i'm sure you can find some good people in california to help you out. And as someone mentioned there are a few good write ups on how to do auto to manual, and b-series swaps on civics right here on H-T. The best advice I can give you is take your time, plan ahead, don't cut corners and plan for it take longer than you think it will. Also budget for little things like nuts and bolts you may end up needing to buy from honda, they add up fast.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TravisCadello &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">put a pair of O.K. headers on your motor and a intake from autozone their 25 HP and $150.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Header and intake is a complete waste of time and money IMO, its not like you'll see any increase in power, intake will make it sound louder, thats about it.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just to keep it in perspective...
$125 for a claimed 25hp gain. (different combos with yield different results)

In the marketplace there's a dude in socal who was selling a B16 motor for under $500.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=2410097

In the end it's your money so do what you want... But there's probably other peeps right here on H-T selling exactly what you're looking for.

Note: Consult the H-T known scammers list as well just to make sure you don't buy from someone who has screwed people before.

Quick Reply: DAMN ECU!!!