Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

daily driven/show car (need advice)

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 10:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default daily driven/show car (need advice)

sup guys its been awhile from my last post... blew up my last setup. now i gotta ls turbo (stock) running an epic basemap.
ny ways i wanna make a show car/ daily driver.
i know i need basic crap like
new carpet (black)
racing seats (red)
stitched shift **** cover (black and red)
some rota offset grids (aluminum color) to match silver car
si-r gauge cluster (mines currently messed up (dam heat gauge))

idk else really i kinda have my mind set. keep in mind i dont want to stand out too much cuz of thieves (reason why im running a water cooled intercooler)
this is something i like (only if i had a rhd)
http://image.importtuner.com/f/29424...erior_shot.jpg

gimme any other ideas you might think off oh yah and i have a clear hood to show off underneath when i go to car meets (i do change plates when i go)

this is what im working with now underhood wise (when first droped in)
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.n...64653535_n.jpg

let me know what you guys think im planning on dropping 2k for interior and custom flat box for speakers and seat deletion kit

I really like to know what you think and please dont tell me to search. lol its about what you guys think ((((((i cant search that or read you minds))))) thanks for your help guys
Old 07-10-2013, 10:40 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: daily driven/show car (need advice)

There's an appearance section. Go there. Absolutely nothing about this thread is tech.

Here's some starting advice for you, though. You need to go buy everything Mother's sells, and spend two solid days washing, clay barring, polishing, buffing, and waxing your car. You also need to attack under your hood with the biggest bottle of engine degreaser you can find. That thing is dirty as ****, and FAR from a show car.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

there's almost nothing new you can do to a Honda. Really ask yourself this....
"Do I want to spend near $2,000 on aesthetics JUST TO PLEASE OTHERS?"
In the end, EVERYBODY does it. Who hasn't already done CTR door panels, CTR carpet, CTR... basically CTR interior? It's like a standard or a typical or common build. Does that really please you?

You have a lot of replica stuff already, who doesn't already have Rota's and ebay interior pieces? I'm not trying to sound like a dick but yeah everybody has that setup.

Define: Show car. What is your definition of it.

In that photo you posted, all I see is a Nardi wheel in a stock CTR with a Spoon shift ****. Here's the guys feature:
http://www.importtuner.com/features/...civic_type_rx/

I love his quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Rosso
"I used to modify cars to gain the attention of my peers. Now I do it for me, to show myself what I can do."

Anywho, I made a thread of 96-00 Civic modifications and maybe you should take a look. I'm here to support and help you find any thing you need man, if you're willing to go for something, i'll source out some links to help you out.

http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=219682

Here are some collages from my thread:
Attachment 530751
Attachment 530752
Name:  PrnGrVml.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  74.9 KB

Answer these, i'd like to know your ideas:

What do you want to do to your engine/bay?:
What do you want to do to your suspension/wheels?:
What do you want to do to your interior?:
What do you want to do to your exterior?:
What is your actual budget? How far are you really willing to go? Is there any deadline?:
and most of all: What kind of trim/body style is your Civic?

If you want to build nice show car, be different, be you. Don't feel too limited to the status quo of Honda's. Find your style. If I were you, I'd start off with working on that engine and tune. Perhaps rip it out first, paint (maybe shave) the bay, throw the engine back in, change the headlights to 96-98 stocks or SiR maybe an HID Projector retrofit on top. OR do an Acura 1.6 EL front end swap, get rid of that 96-98 Fake mugen lip, it doesn't compliment the 96-98 body lines.

This is all my opinion, your cars a stereotypical honda, be different! Good luck!
Old 07-11-2013, 03:35 AM
If you loved me, you'd all sell me your magic cards to me today

Dyno Tune your car.
Old 07-11-2013, 04:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Paint your engine bay...Wipers....clean your hood.... unless by show car you mean those shows in a bojangles parking lot
Old 07-11-2013, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you need to clean up your wiring .. that hot wire u have running through the fender to an amp looks hideous and not a show car quality install.. you have a bit of work to do... most like to see shaved bays and wire tucks for show car quality...
Old 07-11-2013, 10:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What do you want to do to your engine/bay?: simi tuck (doing it myself) i like to know where me wires r at
What do you want to do to your suspension/wheels?: tein for the ride ls mesh dailys and diamond steelies for weekends
What do you want to do to your interior?: type r 00 gauges short throw . new carpet. racing seats . rear seat delete made like a flat box
What do you want to do to your exterior?: paint ..99 conversion
What is your actual budget? 5k
How far are you really willing to go? pretty far into but i dont like spending unwanted money
Is there any deadline?: till i total the car
and most of all: What kind of trim/body style is your Civic? 97 civic hx

i like the ebay rep spoon it catches my eye (idk why)
new paint..
will be put on coilovers soon
i already have hidden boost gauges behind cup holder
Engine has been cleaned up abit pic is a little old (as you see no manifold ls was jus droped in)

WILL BE P/S - A/C my girlfriend likes to drive my car but cant drive it without those too so she wins

it will be something i appreciate the help (even tho its in wrong fourm) my bad

me and my girlfriend both enjoy racing. thats why its turboed.. (she blew my last engine up) b20vtec-t 425hp to crank

im mainly worried bout interior>exterior> engine bay

Dont want to dyno or tune my car cuz then i wont drive it as often... base map was done by myself and i have a warning/ emergency shut off system incase i go to lean or rich for more then 6 seconds.

thanks for help guys
Old 07-12-2013, 12:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by sniper_king
What do you want to do to your engine/bay?: simi tuck (doing it myself) i like to know where me wires r at
What do you want to do to your suspension/wheels?: tein for the ride ls mesh dailys and diamond steelies for weekends
What do you want to do to your interior?: type r 00 gauges short throw . new carpet. racing seats . rear seat delete made like a flat box
What do you want to do to your exterior?: paint ..99 conversion
What is your actual budget? 5k
How far are you really willing to go? pretty far into but i dont like spending unwanted money
Is there any deadline?: till i total the car
and most of all: What kind of trim/body style is your Civic? 97 civic hx

i like the ebay rep spoon it catches my eye (idk why)
new paint..
will be put on coilovers soon
i already have hidden boost gauges behind cup holder
Engine has been cleaned up abit pic is a little old (as you see no manifold ls was jus droped in)

WILL BE P/S - A/C my girlfriend likes to drive my car but cant drive it without those too so she wins

it will be something i appreciate the help (even tho its in wrong fourm) my bad

me and my girlfriend both enjoy racing. thats why its turboed.. (she blew my last engine up) b20vtec-t 425hp to crank

im mainly worried bout interior>exterior> engine bay

Dont want to dyno or tune my car cuz then i wont drive it as often... base map was done by myself and i have a warning/ emergency shut off system incase i go to lean or rich for more then 6 seconds.

thanks for help guys

Yeah, but what about the engine itself, performance wise and tune?
Tein springs on stock shocks? Why not Koni/GC? Lifetime warranty, way more customizable height.
Type R Gauges? So a CTR Cluster? You don't mind the kmh?
99 conversion? How about Acura 1.6 EL? it's a bigger difference of a swap if you dig it.

Having P/S + A/C is a good thing :D

edit: refer to post below by bks84... Dyno tuning should get the most potential out of your vehicle.

If you want a nice cluster, there's an S2k swap, Integra swap and Civic 01-03/04-05 swap in my thread in my signature.

Good luck!

Last edited by CO671; 07-12-2013 at 04:36 AM.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

how does dyno tuning your engine make you drive it less
Old 07-12-2013, 08:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dynoing my engine makes me not want to drive it as much cuz for all i know im pushin 300 and im fine with that i dont want to race streets how my brother flipped his car (only on tracks for now on) but i dont mind s2k gauge cluster i kinda like em.. i thought they where too small to fit in gauge cluster spot... and idc about km/h my 91 teggy is from canada

the acura 1.6 el gaugess look wierd... lol for some reason my stock hx gauges had a dam shift arrow.... when i had a d series n it any way i could get it back?

but suspension is tein springs and shocks... (bro had em on his civic he flipped)

as far as the turboed engine part is im always spotting my gauges.. got a turboxs dual stage one set to 7 one set to 15 and if for some reasons it surges hard i got a manual boost perge right after the throttle body.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:02 PM

dynoing my engine makes me not want to drive it as much cuz for all i know im pushin 300 and im fine with that i dont want to race streets how my brother flipped his car (only on tracks for now on) but i dont mind s2k gauge cluster i kinda like em.. i thought they where too small to fit in gauge cluster spot... and idc about km/h my 91 teggy is from canada

the acura 1.6 el gaugess look wierd... lol for some reason my stock hx gauges had a dam shift arrow.... when i had a d series n it any way i could get it back?

but suspension is tein springs and shocks... (bro had em on his civic he flipped)

as far as the turboed engine part is im always spotting my gauges.. got a turboxs dual stage one set to 7 one set to 15 and if for some reasons it surges hard i got a manual boost perge right after the throttle body.
MORON
Old 07-12-2013, 09:04 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Having your car dyno tuned isn't about "how much power am I making" - it's about "am I making this power safely". Also, having your car properly tuned isn't going to make you street race - being a stupid, immature kid will do that.

The HX cluster has a shift arrow because the HX is made specifically to maximize gas mileage. There are only a half dozen different ways to retrofit a shift light in, on, around, near, under, or behind whatever cluster you're using. Google it.

Stock shocks will blow out on lowering springs. Get some decent shocks now, or get them later.

A manual boost purge behind the TB, eh? Because taking your foot off the gas is too hard?
Old 07-12-2013, 09:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Dyno'ing would make you want to race streets more? It's all self control. Getting it dyno tuned will make the most potential out of it reliably so you don't have to worry about running rich or lean.

Oh I was talking about Acura 1.6 EL (Honda Domani/Isuzu Gemini) front end
This guy pulled it off nicely.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:11 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

CO, that car is pretty clean...but let's play a game. It's called spot the worthless part. GO!
Old 07-12-2013, 09:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jbpnoman
CO, that car is pretty clean...but let's play a game. It's called spot the worthless part. GO!
Lol. Let's be real, when it comes to Honda "Show cars", what percentage of the cars are bearing worthless parts?

The interior parts OP was mentioning is like the GO-TO setup... Type r interior everything. eh
If OP put more attention into the engine then branched out from there, it'd be a fair progression.
Pull engine, detail and paint bay, dyno tune it for the potential power. Then work on suspension, then interior and exterior.
reliability / functionality > aesthetics
Old 07-12-2013, 09:17 PM

Worthless part, the tires and the contact.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:19 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Well, I was specifically going for the hinged 2 point strut tower bar, but point taken

OP, black leather EL seats all the way around. You'll never see it in another Civic in the States...unless you see my car. One of those stupidly rare changes that is well worth the money, both for comfort, as well as style. Want to go for even more baller points? Get aftermarket seat heaters for the front and rear, wire it to a pair of OEM EL double switches.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:24 PM

Well, I was specifically going for the hinged 2 point strut tower bar, but point taken

OP, black leather EL seats all the way around. You'll never see it in another Civic in the States...unless you see my car. One of those stupidly rare changes that is well worth the money, both for comfort, as well as style. Want to go for even more baller points? Get aftermarket seat heaters for the front and rear, wire it to a pair of OEM EL double switches.
gonna go for GSR leather s in my front and the EL leather rears, how much did you pay for the rears? do they fit a hatch?
Old 07-12-2013, 09:29 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

I have absolutely no clue about a hatch, all the research I did was for sedans. You can rock GSR 2 door rears, though, if memory serves correctly. I ended up paying about $500 after shipping for the rears, in absolutely mint condition, with seat belts. Got lucky on my CL-S fronts - found them minty in a pick your part junk yard, got them for $30 each.

I'm also a huge fan of CL-S front seats, but if this thread is any indication, the modification required is out of OP's scope.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:45 PM
been there done that

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

base map was done by myself and i have a warning/ emergency shut off system incase i go to lean or rich for more then 6 seconds.
if you think this is a good thing i got news for you. 6 seconds? might as well not even have it.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by CO671
Lol. Let's be real, when it comes to Honda "Show cars", what percentage of the cars are bearing worthless parts?

The interior parts OP was mentioning is like the GO-TO setup... Type r interior everything. eh
If OP put more attention into the engine then branched out from there, it'd be a fair progression.
Pull engine, detail and paint bay, dyno tune it for the potential power. Then work on suspension, then interior and exterior.
reliability / functionality > aesthetics
The front end conversion being the main one.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by doood
if you think this is a good thing i got news for you. 6 seconds? might as well not even have it.
its not for me.. its for my girlfriend.. i have it cuz when she races if it spikes because of something unforeseen. as far as she knows its a honda with a lot of power... she doesnt understand what makes it run how it does but she loves racing, driving stick shift all that good crap thats why i have it... for when she races n im not with her it will kill the car before **** breakes... i installed it for best saftey
Old 07-14-2013, 12:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Having your car dyno tuned isn't about "how much power am I making" - it's about "am I making this power safely". Also, having your car properly tuned isn't going to make you street race - being a stupid, immature kid will do that.

The HX cluster has a shift arrow because the HX is made specifically to maximize gas mileage. There are only a half dozen different ways to retrofit a shift light in, on, around, near, under, or behind whatever cluster you're using. Google it.

Stock shocks will blow out on lowering springs. Get some decent shocks now, or get them later.

A manual boost purge behind the TB, eh? Because taking your foot off the gas is too hard?
only place i drive this car to is work, store, out to eat lol im not the one who has my foot on the floor... my gf takes it too the track on fridays... lol yah and idc how many times she floors it as far as im conserned all i c at the track is a bunch of kids who dont know how to prep the launching grip there taking off on..warm up tires /launch with minimal spin and not double clutching SIMPLE ****... that my girl does and kills them at it... lol... but i love them getting embarrassed when they loose..
if it were up to me and how she drives id buy here a set of slicks.... cuz the tires im runnin now arnt ****** cheap... but love ant cheap either so she wins either way.... if shes happy im happy... you make me laugh buddy you really do...

but it was there for a last ditch effort save the engine if needed.. but sofar i dont it at all... only time im not running optimal is shifting warmup and slowing down so im perfectly fine with it (((Reason for it being there)))) to bleed as much air as possable incase bov is suck or sumthin... to avoid bent throttle body... i rather be safe.. but as far as me knowing how my tune is set idc if i blow my **** up cuz of my fuckup... i be really pissed if somebodys fuckup will blow my engine sky high tho herd horror stores bout Assa,, and secret service... aka they cant tune honda for ****... end of story

but its getting deleted as soon as i put b16 head on it cuz shes gettin good at reading the gauges....

Last edited by sniper_king; 07-14-2013 at 12:35 AM.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

As far as that civic goes its nice but too bright for me.... it looks like a girls car too be honest.. i want simple stuff.. and yet be clean..... already ordered a gauge cluster.. bought billet hasport mounts ... got a b16 head at the shop... might order some je rods and pistons, oh yah,,, and sold the diamond steelies thinking bout a set of these http://www.carid.com/images/msr/whee...lished-lip.jpg

but change the crappy rivvets to bbs silver spikes.. i believe they will look clean...

suspension i like how the tein is its a good feel solid and doing have to worry bout holes in the road (damit houston fix the roads)

im bout to rework the basemap tune....(saved to computer not ecu) for ls/vtec bigger injectors throttlebody/ manifold. and new turbo... but till all that is done im happy with my ls-t

REMOVING. rear seats next weekend for the custom box. changing cv axle (starting to make clicking sound) and few other items interior keep you guys posted
Old 07-14-2013, 12:51 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Let the back pedaling begin!

Quick Reply: daily driven/show car (need advice)