Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

d4 light flashing erratically

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2006, 07:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default d4 light flashing erratically

Hello,

I currently own a 2000 Honda Civic and am having some weird problems with my transmission. In the past couple of days while driving 20+ miles, my D4 transmission light will begin flashing erratically. Sometimes it will just flash once or twice, or it will continuely flicker on and off for a second or two. The duration of the flashes does not seem constant either. Due to it being so erratic, it doesn't seem like it is flashing out a code. However, when it is erratically flashing for an extended period of time (10-20 seconds), my RPMs will also fluctuate in the range of +/- 150 RPMs of whatever I was initially at.

While making some small trips to and from work, which is about 7 miles, I don't notice anything wrong. It mainly happens on longer trips.

I was wondering if anyone has any idea what could be the problem. I was thinking of maybe a wiring issue, such as a loose wire on the transmission causing the D4 light to flicker, but not sure how that would factor in with actual RPM fluctuations.

I appreciate any insights with this issue. Thanks!
Old 07-03-2006, 07:05 AM

Default Re: d4 light flashing erratically (aglswapbuffers)

I posted this pretty late last night, so here is a small bump so hopefully more people will be able to see this this morning. Thanks.

EDIT:
I think I should also mention that this tends to happen between 3k and 3.5k RPM going around 65 miles per hour on the freeway. I am not sure if this is important; but I havn't seen my car do this at slow speeds.
Old 07-03-2006, 09:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when the D4 light flashes, it is giving you a transmission code. there is something wrong with the transmission somewhere. look in the helms for all the codes and troubleshooting trees.
Old 07-03-2006, 04:46 PM

Default Re: (littleredcivic)

Thanks for the reply. As I mentioned in the original post though, it flashes way too erratically for it to be giving me a transmission code. I once had a loose wire going to the tranmission which caused the D4 light to blink so I know what kind of blinking to look for. The flashing/flickering is too quick and random to be a code which has me stumped. Then again, it is intermittent. I drove a bit over 20 miles today and it ran great... no weird D4 light behavior or RPM fluctuations.

I have a couple of long road trips ahead of me and I just want to make sure my car is not going to break down on me. However, due to the symptons, it has been hard to troubleshoot.
Old 07-04-2006, 01:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

any problem that you can not consistantly replicate is usually related to poor connections or damaged electrical. until it breaks, good luck.