Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

D17 tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2005, 11:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D17 tranny?

Hey got an 02 civic with auto tranny, want to convert to manual, sum1 told me that the D series trannies are much more expensive.

Can anyone give me an approximate price on the tranny?

Also is the other stuff like clutch cylinders and stuff specific to the tranny? cuz if i can get the tranny less expensive than the shop im gunna get this done at then i want to do that instead. with taht said where is a good place in West Palm Beach or Boca Raton in Florida to get one? if anyone can help that would be awesome, all help appreciated.
Old 02-10-2005, 12:42 PM

anywone?
Old 02-10-2005, 01:16 PM
most hood white kid

Default Re: D17 tranny? (rentacar4dr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rentacar4dr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey got an 02 civic with auto tranny, want to convert to manual, sum1 told me that the D series trannies are much more expensive.

Can anyone give me an approximate price on the tranny?

Also is the other stuff like clutch cylinders and stuff specific to the tranny? cuz if i can get the tranny less expensive than the shop im gunna get this done at then i want to do that instead. with taht said where is a good place in West Palm Beach or Boca Raton in Florida to get one? if anyone can help that would be awesome, all help appreciated.</TD></TR></TABLE>

what exactly are you asking? from the little tidbits of info in your first post, all I caught was that you have an 02 Civic with an AT and you want to convert to MT. to converti t you need the tranny, pedal assembly. Clutch master cylinder. etc. and who told you a d-series tranny is very expensive?? they are a dime a dozen.
Old 02-10-2005, 06:07 PM

This one dude i met at school said he had a buddy that works on cars, and called him and he said that his friend siad $1500 for parts and labor everything done, so ic alled today, and he goes oh wait its an 02? D series? i was like yeah he was like nah man those are more expensive, i thought matt (dude at school) said u had a 2000, so hes gunna find out how much it will run me but he said its more than B series. Also, if he is gunna voerchrage me on the tranny, then i want to buy the tranny if i can get it cheaper. So my question was, If he gets the tranny, does it come with specific parts for only that tranny? or can i get the tranny myself with nothing, and have them worry about getting pedals, linkage, cylinders clutch everything?

Sorry for any confusion, if my story confuses you any more, im sorry..
Old 02-10-2005, 06:41 PM
most hood white kid

Default Re: (rentacar4dr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rentacar4dr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This one dude i met at school said he had a buddy that works on cars, and called him and he said that his friend siad $1500 for parts and labor everything done, so ic alled today, and he goes oh wait its an 02? D series? i was like yeah he was like nah man those are more expensive, i thought matt (dude at school) said u had a 2000, so hes gunna find out how much it will run me but he said its more than B series. Also, if he is gunna voerchrage me on the tranny, then i want to buy the tranny if i can get it cheaper. So my question was, If he gets the tranny, does it come with specific parts for only that tranny? or can i get the tranny myself with nothing, and have them worry about getting pedals, linkage, cylinders clutch everything?

Sorry for any confusion, if my story confuses you any more, im sorry..</TD></TR></TABLE>

dude is full of bullshit if he is gonna say that a d series tranny is more expesive than a b series
Old 02-10-2005, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: D17 tranny? (rentacar4dr)

I don't know which one's more expensive, but this is what I do know:

AAMCO charges $2000 for a direct (AT to AT rebuilt transmission) replacement
HONDA charges $4500 for the same thing.

Changing AT to MT is a lot more than just the transmissions.
Some of the things you'll need are:
-Transmission
-Axles
-Shifter assembly
-Shift linkages
-Pedals
-Cables
-Intake manifold
-Throttle body
-IACV sensor
-ECU
Unless you buy parts at a junk-yard/eBay and do the work yourself, I don't see how you could make it with anything close to $1500.00
Old 02-11-2005, 06:05 AM

This guy quoted my at 1500 for everything thinking i had an 00, so if an 02's tranny is supposedly less expensive, then why would it run me more? maybe the prices are diff from where you live then down in florida. Every street you drive in has some kinda repair shop, finding good performance shops are hard in my area but i understand that florida has many, espcially near the miami area. now that i found this one and called the guy i was all set to do it, but then he said he thought it was an 00 not 02 and that 02's are more expensive, he said he check on the prices for me and im gunna be calling him back later today to find out.

Now what i need to know is, if i find a tranny, do i have to get all the stuff for that tranny specifically? or are most of these things the same between different years of civics?
Old 02-11-2005, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

No offence, but how much do you already have done to your civic currently? Is it stuff that can just be unbloted? Example: Exhaust, Intake, header, etc etc. If so put the stock stuff back on and sell it for an 02 with a stick. Probably easier in the long run and hell it should be cheaper.
Old 02-11-2005, 07:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

^what he said^, trade that **** in and get one with a stick
Old 02-11-2005, 10:28 AM
most hood white kid

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rentacar4dr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This guy quoted my at 1500 for everything thinking i had an 00, so if an 02's tranny is supposedly less expensive, then why would it run me more? maybe the prices are diff from where you live then down in florida. Every street you drive in has some kinda repair shop, finding good performance shops are hard in my area but i understand that florida has many, espcially near the miami area. now that i found this one and called the guy i was all set to do it, but then he said he thought it was an 00 not 02 and that 02's are more expensive, he said he check on the prices for me and im gunna be calling him back later today to find out.

Now what i need to know is, if i find a tranny, do i have to get all the stuff for that tranny specifically? or are most of these things the same between different years of civics?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ok, here is an example of how cheap a d-series tranny is, I bought my complete d16z6 swap(engine, tranny, axles, linkage, ecu) for $500.00 now you think to yourself, a b-series tranny alone will cost you around that. probably more. now I am not sure about the d17a2 tranny, or if it costs more than a d16z6 tranny, but it is not going to be more expensive than a b-series tranny. The dude is thinking he can rip you off, and from I can tell, he is doing a good job.
Old 02-11-2005, 10:34 AM
most hood white kid

I tried searching for you here on the classifieds and on ebay, and the best I could do was find a 2003 Si tranny, which is a k-series and wouldn't work, but it was 900 bucks, and every other d-series tranny i found was around 200....but I am not sure, but I dont think a y8 or z6 tranny would work, those are a dime a dozen
Old 02-12-2005, 08:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (egcoupe94)

Think about it guys, any new car out there the parts are pretty expensive. Here I just did a search of US Junkyards and this is what I cam up with.... your spending probably about $750-800 on avg for a good working D17A tranny..

http://www.car-part.com/cgi-bi...age=1

Old 02-12-2005, 11:27 AM
most hood white kid

Default Re: (cnyej1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cnyej1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Think about it guys, any new car out there the parts are pretty expensive. Here I just did a search of US Junkyards and this is what I cam up with.... your spending probably about $750-800 on avg for a good working D17A tranny..

http://www.car-part.com/cgi-bi...age=1

</TD></TR></TABLE>

still...not gonna be more than a b-series
Old 02-12-2005, 11:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by egcoupe94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">still...not gonna be more than a b-series</TD></TR></TABLE>

New car parts are usually really expensive, i just have a hard time seeing a bseries tranny used from the mid 90s to early 00 being cheaper than a tranny being used from 01-02 up to current. Since all of these b series are going for cheaper:

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1144728
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1137217
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1087464
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1141294
Old 02-12-2005, 01:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: I put on my robe and wizard hat, NY...err Bay Area--->Texas
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey, I just read through this whole thread and one thing is bugging me.

Didn't '01+ civics move the transmission to the other side of the engine bay? Or is that just K series engines? If its all civics then wouldn't he not be able to use older (pre '01) trannies? that would probably explain the price difference, I havent seen ONE newer civic at the junkyards around here.

Any clarification would be appreciated
Old 02-12-2005, 01:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (HalfAnP)

same sht i was just thinking.. bump!
Old 02-12-2005, 11:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: I put on my robe and wizard hat, NY...err Bay Area--->Texas
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (kobeRy_si)

free bump
Old 02-13-2005, 12:02 AM

only the K's are turned around. I wondered this as well...so I looked...and the D's were the same way as they always were. I saw this with TWO EYES which I own. so you know it was a quality viewing. you don't have to take my word for it, just tell grandma to pop the hood!
Old 02-13-2005, 12:07 AM
most hood white kid

so he could get a z6 tranny for 200 bucks and it would work right?
Old 02-13-2005, 06:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah the trannys are on the same side....heres a pic :

But I have a gut feeling that a d series tranny that we are thinkn of will NOT fit the newer D17a's
Old 02-13-2005, 07:35 PM

mine looks pretty much exactly the same, but i dont have those 2 big boxes, have intake, and im pretty sure ine doenst say VTEC on it
Old 02-13-2005, 08:27 PM
Electrician

I HIGHLY HIGHLY doubt a 1992-2000 D-Series transmission will bolt onto a 2001+ D17 block.
Old 02-13-2005, 08:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Dimi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dimi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I HIGHLY HIGHLY doubt a 1992-2000 D-Series transmission will bolt onto a 2001+ D17 block.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Exactly what I have been saying. Just by using common sence a new cars tranny is going to cost more than a tranny that has been produced since what 94?
Old 02-13-2005, 11:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

good luck finding a used d17 tranny.
Old 02-13-2005, 11:47 PM
most hood white kid

I really thought the only difference between 92-00 d-series and the 2001+ d-series was that they replaced the distributor will 4 coil packs, and increases displacement, hmm.....guess I was wrong??

Quick Reply: D17 tranny?